A-20B Lights Question

BallsBuster

Just wanted to make sure I am correct on the light minutiae of Bostons and particularly on A-20B

-The formation lights covers on the trailing edges of the wing tips were transparent but the bulbs were usual red/green. Is it correct?

-were the three recognition lights on the bottom of the fuselage (they were used on G version) were present on the B versions as well?

- Did A-20b have the flare chutes for pilots and hence to round openings for them on the bottom of the fuselage?

And finally was there any kind of cover on the flare port just behind the gunners entry hatch on the bottom or was it just a round hole?

Thanks for suggestions and advice in advance.

BB,

From the William Wolf book The Douglas A-20 Havoc, which is the most comprehensive reference out there, I found the following information, which I extracted for the A-20B/C variants:

a single landing light was fitted to the underside of the LH inner wing

a single red passing light was fitted in the LH wing leading edge just inboard of the outer wing joint

a red navigation light was fitted above and below the LH wing tip, just inboard of the tip attachment joint

a green navigation light was fitted above and below the RH wing tip, just inboard of the tip attachment joint

a white bomb release light was fitted in a clear blister in the tailcone

a white recognition light was fitted just in front of the vertical fin on the fuselage and  on either side of the fin

an amber, red, and green recognition light was fitted on the belly just aft of the bomb bay doors

a formation light  was fitted to the upper fuselage and on the upper surface of each horizontal stabilizer, just inboard from the tip attachment joint; there was no mention in the text of the color of these lights, nor was the position of the formation light on the upper fuselage mentioned. In the drawings I have in my reference library, the lights on the stabilizers are shown, but only a single  light on the upper fuselage at the base of the fin, which might be the above-mentioned recognition light.

There is no mention in the text of navigation or formation lights at the trailing edges of the wingtips, but they are shown on one set of drawings that I have. I guess if they were actually fitted, they would be the same color as the corresponding wingtip navigation lights. Based on the  text in the book, the trailing edge lights appear to be fitted to the A-20G and later variants, but it's not clear. I don't recall seeing them on A-20B/C's, but I can't be sure.

Regarding the signal flare port; in photos and text, a flare pistol, which was held in a socket, a rack for spare cartridges, and a port for the pistol are shown and described. For the A-20B, it appears to be fitted at the rear of the bomb-aimer's compartment, at the top LH corner ,right at the aft bulkhead. The cover for the port is said to be spring-loaded, so I'm surmising this would mean there is no opening visible externally, but a circular cover. There is no mention of, nor do I know where the signal flare gun and cartridges would be mounted on the gun-nosed or later variants with the Martin power turret. There is no mention of a flare pistol fitted in the pilot's cockpit of any of the variants in the text.

That's as much as I could find- hope this sheds some light on the subject for your build, or at the least, spurs somebody who has more knowledge to come forth!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
words added for clarity
  • Like 1

Mike,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer.

It clarified some of the issues, but also made a few revelations for me. Exceptionally useful. On the basis of new info:

- the issue of recognition lights is clarified (more or less) for some reason most of the kit producers ignore them...

- the aft signal flare port issue is clarified, thank you. Needs to be covered.

The position lights on the stabilizers and on top of the fuselage is a news for me and now I actually noticed them on the photos.

Regarding the position lights on the trailing edges of the wing tip- it seems they began appearing on the C versions, at least I found a photo of a C with those evident. As I plan to build a B - I will just ignore them (good- as less work),

The other revelation, if I correctly understand the text, is that the landing light was only installed on the port wing...  was the second one introduced at the later stages?

BB,

You're welcome! After reading your post above, I dug into my references, specifically to try and  find a more definitive answer regarding the landing light issue- after looking at the Warpaint on the A-20, A-20 at War, the AJ Press A-20 monograph, A-20 In Action, three different sets of 1/72 drawings,  and re-reading the exterior lighting section in the Wolf book, the waters were unmuddied somewhat. Here's what I found, for what it's worth:

According to the Wolf book, the DB-7's had a landing light under each wing; the A-20A/B's had a single landing light under the LH wing; the A-20C's and subsequent reverted back to a landing light (now a sealed beam) under each wing. After looking at all the photos I could find, it looks like that is the case, although it seems almost all of the photos that show the undersides of A-20's are from the LH side only! I did see photos of RAF Boston III's that showed two landing lights, but I don't have a reference that clarifies if Boston III's were equivalent to  A-20B's and/or A-20C' s. I do see photos of RAF Boston III's that show two landing lights!

Regarding the position lights on the wingtip trailing edges- I think you are correct that they were fitted to A-20C's and subsequent.

Isn't it always the case that you can look at photos of an airplane over and over and never notice a detail until somebody notices it or asks a question about it? I was totally oblivious to passing lights and  formation lights  until I read mention of them  in in the Allen Blue book on the Liberator- then after looking for them in  photos- there they were!

BTW, which kit are you building and in what scheme? The A-20 sure was a handsome airplane, IMHO!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you... always useful to have the second opinion, and learn something new.

I agree with you A-20 is a beautiful aircraft and sadly not much appreciated... everything about it reeks of quality and purpose.

I am building A-20B by MPM/SH with a UTK turret. Plan to build a "clean" machine with pilots cockpit closed and the lower rear gun position converted to Soviet standard. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎.‎12‎.‎2016 at 10:16 PM, 72modeler said:

That would rather appear to be a Boston III - it has the sloped nose glazing and single exhaust port. IIRC all C's had (mostly) individual exhaust ejectors with individual fairings, and I *** think*** the B, too, which also had the stepped glazing. The Boston III has no direct USAAC/F equivalent, IIRC, but is close to late A's without the turbocharger (hope I get this correct from memory, it's about 15 years that I tried to figure out the intricacies of Bostons). The IIIA is a C, mostly.