Oh For Gods Sake, Not ANOTHER Corsair!

Hi everyone,

After about 18 months, 2 job changes and a death in the family, i've finished my second 32nd scale model.

DH%20F4U2%20070_zps0qbcxmvb.jpg

This is the much-loved Tamiya F4U-1 "Birdcage" variant, converted to F4U-2 standard. I built this for Bob Brunson in Estes Park, CO, who flew the real plane aboard USS ENTERPRISE in Spring of 1944.

img163_zpscd2pfu0f.jpg

(The above photo was taken of Bu Aer No. 02710 earlier in its career on USS INTREPID, prior to the torpedo hit that mandated transferring VF(N)-101 to ENTERPRISE. Upon reassignment to CV-6, the skipper ordered the VF(N)-101 squadron decal removed)

The basic model uses the Barracudacals F4U Corsair cockpit placard set, and the Resin diamond-tread tyres. The parts that make it an F4U-2 are a mish-mash of bits and pieces from multiple conversion kits.

The radome comes from the Lone Star Models conversion, which dates from several years back and was designed for the Revell kit, which has a thicker cross section wing.

DH%20F4U2%20047_zpsnrfjxrn8.jpg

The flame dampening exhaust stacks are part of an all-new resin F4U-2 conversion coming from Harold Offield of AMD resin. These stacks are about 25% smaller than the Lone Star ones.

DH%20F4U2%20046_zpselcm6q3s.jpg

The Radio Altimeter antennae are made in photo etched brass by OWL Models of Czech republic and i highly recommend them, though they are delicate. Resin is simply too brittle. Gotta give my thanks to OWL, since they're a bunch o' people who really dig night fighters of all kinds. You can also see how some people would infer the flanks of the plane were painted black and not semi-gloss sea blue as seen here.

DH%20F4U2%20032_zps3o3t1uea.jpg

There was a simple VHF whip antenna on the spine and an IFF antenna on the belly. both made from .010 Plastruct rod.

DH%20F4U2%20058_zps5zwov1lj.jpg

Here are some closeups of the antenna installation on the rudder. I get a lot of questions about this....

DH%20F4U2%20040A_zpsdxnhlsph.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20010A_zpsoozaeqb2.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20022_zps9bbduaxc.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20034_zpszh0liias.jpg

This was my first big test of using Tamiya Acrylics on a model and for the most part they worked well. They are however, delicate and are easily rubbed off places like wing trailing edges until the paint has been overcoated with Future, or equivalent.

DH%20F4U2%20051_zps5gentu8o.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20019_zpsrbxaestb.jpg

DH%20F4U2%20005_zpsvqlpkzcq.jpg

Photobucket is giving me a lot of hassles so, send me your technical questions and if i can I'll send along more photos to augment my answers.

And now, for something simple. Like a Tamiya Tomcat. I need a rest....

-d-

Edited by David H
  • Like 50

You can never have too many Corsairs. This one's an absolute beauty Lovely work - looks like you got the Tamiya paints well sorted.

Thanks for showing some great work and attention to detail.

ATB
Rick

38 minutes ago, 85sqn said:

Fantastic build David and very impressive. Anymore in the pipeline?

Hi Nick,

Well, i have a 72nd scale FG-1D that's nearly finished (needs the undercarriage, exhaust streak, and antenna rigging).....

Decals-16_zpsbf7316e5.jpg

Decals-20_zps3ae025f4.jpg

and there's my model of 02153- the first F4U-1, later converted to F4U-2 standard- that has been waiting on a first-generation tailwheel. Now that Uschi Van Der Rosten has come out with that 48th scale Compass Rose, i'm hoping that will be the KUTA for me to get that one done.

PaintFinished011_zps9ba910db.jpg

F4U-1Insignia001.jpg

Interesting fact: Both of these models predate the 32nd scale Tamiya kit; the FG-1D i actually started in Iraq during the tail end of Iraqi Freedom, and the 48th prototype got to the state you see here when the Tamiya Birdcage came out. In case you didn't know, this is my second 32nd scale Corsair, so both of the ones you see here have been effectively sidelined for at least two years, probably longer.

I have a couple of 48th scale Tamiyas with the interiors sprayed green and the wing components assembled.... but i need a break from Corsairs for a while. I have the new Tamiya Tomcat in the pipeline now.

-d-

• Like 4

KUTA:

Kick

Up

The

(We have to keep things kid-friendly)

Vulcanicity: The F4U-2 was the very first Carrier Based, Night (what we could call "All Weather" now) Fighter. It had a fairly unremarkable showing, but it paved the way for the much more successful F6F-3N/ F6F-5N that came afterward.

-d-

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2016 at 3:19 PM, Vulcanicity said:

I had no idea there was a birdcage night-fighter Corsair! Shows what I know. Anyway, that's a superb model, thanks for sharing!

My knowledge is as deep as the Marianas Trench and as broad as a razor blade, LOL

-d-

How did I miss this? Excellent stuff, David! And to think I don't have a Corsair in my collection - got three in the stash though, I think. Best I get to work!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1