Solway Vampire

:lol:

Sorry gang. I was having serious issues with my PC.

Running PB and this forum just locked it solid so I pulled the plug and went to cool down.

So, if I can get it to work, here are a few shots of the Airfix Vampire styled after/inspired by the Vampire at the Solway Air Museum at Carlisle Airport.

tn_dH%20Vampire%20036_zpsmbsb21fo.jpg

tn_dH%20Vampire%20038_zpsbmt4lfop.jpg

tn_dH%20Vampire%20039_zpsq121pp2f.jpg

tn_dH%20Vampire%20041_zpsowap35pk.jpg

tn_dH%20Vampire%20043_zps8z0nxwhd.jpg

tn_dH%20Vampire%20044_zpsuwxnt9cs.jpg

tn_dH%20Vampire%20047_zpsyujriph6.jpg

Hope this has worked and that it was worth the wait. Thanks for the patience guys.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer
  • Like 43

Poor thing,......it looks so forlorn,....... almost needs to look soaking wet too, in the mud and surrounded by tyres! Great job,

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Super model, but as tonyot alluded to, the base needs something more, if that is how you plan to display it. To me, there is too much space at the sides and too little at the front and back. Just a thought but a great model nonetheless.

• Like 1

Great job. I spent quite a lot of my youth at the museum. I've been wanting to do the exact same thing in 48th for quite a while now (though struggling to find a kit) and their Vulcan (though that would be in 144th).

Last time I was there (X588 flypast) it had the booms though, have they been removed recently? 

• Like 1

That's really good, I like that a lot. The Solway museum isn't that far down the road from me and I pop in from time to time; as far as I know their Vampire is still in that condition. It's the perennial issue of trying to preserve a wooden airframe outdoors in a wet northern climate. I know other museums that have exactly the same problem.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Glad you like it. This may begin a spate of this style of model. For some unknown reason I do find these part restored aircraft fascinating. It also gives one the opportunity to add some heavy weathering at times, something we aircraft modellers don't get to do too often.

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

Super model, but as tonyot alluded to, the base needs something more, if that is how you plan to display it. To me, there is too much space at the sides and too little at the front and back. Just a thought but a great model nonetheless.

Thanks Red Dot, you make a valid point but as BlastVader explains, this particular example is sitting on a grass bank.

Solway%20Vampire%201_zpswwhstlel.jpg

Solway%20Vampire_zpsjare7vcr.jpg

Now, if I could find my pics of the Vampire at the Midland Air Museum, that would make a much better balanced display.

Thanks again folks,

Cheers.

• Like 3

Beautiful, although somewhat depressing...

Kind of reminds me of all the years I spent in the Netherlands.

Brilliant model nonetheless!

JR

• Like 1