Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

Great to see this in her primer coat already! :pilot::clap: I totally approve the stripes painting choice :thumbsup2:  Totally worth the masking hassle, they'll look much better than any decal attempt.

Thanks for the video link too, awesome!

Ciao

Ooh - looks like that minor upgrade has stopped putting details of the quotes in? Weird. Anyway, thanks Giorgio!

Thanks Christer - glad you enjoyed the video.

I measured the stripe area and good news - it's 20mm which means five bits of 4mm tape will cover it just right:

31618036732_4566ceaaed_z.jpg

Wait a minute... that's not right... (measure the tape) the tape's 6mm! Why did I have it in my head that it was 4mm? Wishful thinking? Nah, I'm just an idiot. I searched for '4mm masking tape' and fund some at Ultimate so I banged off an order for two rolls and some of their skinny sanders. When I received the confirmation I noticed that it says 0.4mm tape. That can't be right can it? I've sent them an email to check and cancel the order if it is 0.4mm. That's tiny isn't it. Anyone used the 'Clean Edge Fine Line Masking Tape' from Paint Models Nails? Looks like good value too. 

Talking of tape I've changed my views on Tamiya 'tape for curves'. Now that I know it's not tape for making curves but tape for going around curves I like it, warmed and pressed down well:

31727984876_202f044c4d_z.jpg

That's not an open canopy by the way. Well, it is, but won't be. I've fitted the gunsight and needed to paint it before closing up the glass, now done:

31766476975_15ac42036c_z.jpg

So, next step is masking the stripes. I can't trust myself to cut strips of 4mm tape so I'm going to wait until I can buy some I think. I might start the MiG while I'm waiting.

• Like 17

Newsflash - I've ordered a couple of rolls of the 4mm Clean Edge tape in order to get this finished this year... we'll see what it's like (arriving Thu/Fri).

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CedB said:

That can't be right can it? I've sent them an email to check and cancel the order if it is 0.4mm.

Yes it can Ced. Aizu do very good narrow masking tapes including  0.4mm, although I don't know if it was Aizu you nearly ordered of course! I find the narrow tapes very useful for canopy masking for delineating framework.

Fury's coming along nicely (& of course quickly, as usual!). I'll be off to have a gander at yer Mikoyan now then!

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks Tempestwulf - it's not as bad as some, just the wings really. Oh, and the front bit. Otherwise not too bad if you're careful.

Thanks Keith - I feared that. I got to the page after searching for '4mm masking tape' and, of course, 0.4 counts for silly computers. Mind you their web page does list the tape in ascending order so I went 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 4, 7... good to know that the small stuff is useful in case they despatch before reading my email. Oh well.

• Like 1

Ultimate have refunded my incorrect order - great service guys! :) 

I shall be using them as my Stynylrez Ultimate Primer suppliers now I know it's the same stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Leon!

Hi Johnny - this MiG. Just to keep me going while I wait for the tape, but planned anyway as a 'companion' to the Sea Fury.

Ced,

Are you going to do the Mig as a generic one, or are you going to try and mark it up in what might be the markings for the Mig that was shot down? I am wondering if the combat report mentioned above will give some sort of indication as to markings on the shot down Mig-15.

One other thing that I get confused about with Mig-15s, is the difference between a Mig-15 and a Mig-15 bis. Again, I wonder if it's known what type of Mig it was, as all of my Father's material merely refers to a Mig 15. And again, I am wondering if the combat report will suggest which variant?

• Like 2

Thanks Whofan - just a generic OOB for me as, from the looks of it, the guys were too busy to note the MiG's ident numbers during the encounter. Well, I mean, sometimes I think there guys have no thought about us modellers. :)

I also want to get this finished and the combat report may arrive too late and be similarly vague. 

Thanks Crisp - I'm now regretting cancelling the order, a bit... I already have some other thin tape so I can probably manage for now but thanks for the positive vote.

Thanks Rob. The tape for the Sea Fury didn't arrive this morning (boo!) so hopefully tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to try and cut something :shutup: 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Whofan - just a generic OOB for me as, from the looks of it, the guys were too busy to note the MiG's ident numbers during the encounter. Well, I mean, sometimes I think there guys have no thought about us modellers. :)

I also want to get this finished and the combat report may arrive too late and be similarly vague. 

Thanks Crisp - I'm now regretting cancelling the order, a bit... I already have some other thin tape so I can probably manage for now but thanks for the positive vote.

Thanks Rob. The tape for the Sea Fury didn't arrive this morning (boo!) so hopefully tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to try and cut something :shutup: 

I hope you mean tape...

• Like 2

Thanks Simon :) :santa: 

The girls are shopping this afternoon so I will get to go to the ball do some modelling. I started with the hard job - masking the stripes. Not too hard on the wings:

31694397572_a2b6e6e790_z.jpg

(note the masking of the ailerons). The fuselage is, of course, the usual pain, trying to get the stripes straight on a bendy surface. I used another piece of tape as a spacer:

31032191383_bd86b35e2e_z.jpg

and then applied some Vallejo Model Air NATO black:

31804410096_30073e3cba_z.jpg

We won't see how the new tape has performed until I've finished the other spraying of course. I'm not nervous :shutup: 

• Like 14

Looking good Ced.

One trick I have read but haven't tried myself yet is to seal the tape with a clear coat before applying the next color.  Supposed to help prevent paint creeping under the tape.

Looking forward to the unveiling and Merry Christmas to you.

• Like 3

Thanks Phil - good tip... although I'm always worried the clear coat will effect the new paint adhesion so I just make sure the tape is well burnished down.

Thanks Rob - fingers crossed indeed!

Thanks Miggers - the primer is white so I'm hoping I've done the same!

Errgghhh, I've eaten too much... a friend in the US posted this on my timeline from 'Very British Problems':

Questions answered with "it's Christmas":
How are you still hungry?
Did you open this?
Where's the gin gone?
Do we need so much cheese?

Just about sums us up from yesterday :D

Today I tackled the problem that's been mithering over the festivities... masking the stripes around the serial. I cut out the transfer (just the bit 'inside' the stripes) and used it to measure the 'un-mask' for the area, cutting away the tape that was still there and adding more at the top:

31847052686_4d82a64017_z.jpg

So now she's ready for the Sky coat:

31767962051_99d6c73b63_z.jpg

I hope I might get time for that today but we have relatives for lunch and we're off to the Panto tonight (oh yes we are!)

• Like 13

Behind you, behind you! I wonder if that's what the Migs wingman called out when he saw the Sea Fury. :whistle:

• Like 2

Thanks Joe :D 

Guests not arriving until one so time to get the Sky on. Mr Hobby aqueous thinned with Tamiya X-20A. Special attention to tanks and serial 'patch' and racks also sprayed:

31045415974_d11db809e2_z.jpg

31886114365_0af9b830fc_z.jpg

Shiny 'innit? Had trouble taking photos that didn't look like I'd missed some bits.

I had to use the top wrench of course. It slipped a bit and I remembered John (Biggles) saying it had an end for Taimya. I noticed the tool has numbers on it. Quick search then...

Initial search shows up lots of people selling Mr Hobby (no surprise)

Found the Mr-Hobby.com site, 'Tool' menu, is it G, Mr or what?

Mr? No. G? No. Electric? (Ooh look, an electric router) No. Search the site... aha! Under Compressor / Airbrush / Painting Tool. Does it tell you what the numbers mean? No.

Search for 'mr cap opener instructions' (desperate now). Nope. We'll have to make do with this:

gungt56b.jpg

So I still have no idea... 'dry fit' was #1 for aqueous and Tamiya and I guess, #2 for GX color and #3 (the slot on the bottom) for Mr Color. 

If you're not sure how too use it, there are videos like this one on YouTube... oh good grief...

• Like 8