Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

When I saw that you had closed the gear doors I went back to the beginning of this thread because I thought I'd remembered something about folding the wings. I've seen pictures of a Crusader flying with the wings folded but I didn't think that the Sea Fury would have enough specific excess power ( or  oomph ) for that sort of thing.

It's coming along nicely.

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

Mate, that leading edge was nasty but you've straightened it out nicely. I used to have this kit (sold it and the Special Hobby version when the Aki kit showed up) and its leading edge was moulded fine. For all of its faults, TrumpyBoss don't often get nailed for cock-ups like that. Maybe you got one of those kits made on a Friday right at quitting time?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Thanks Keith - I'm reasonably happy with the LE now... onwards!

Thanks Giorgio.

Thanks John - no folded wings for me (unless I really mess up) - on the ceiling downing a Mig (which arrived today!)

Thanks Simon - I've heard of, and had, trouble with it zipping down panel lines and under the fingers so I'm careful with that but I still get caught when i put a drop on a gap expecting it to flow down the join and it just blobs. I must try harder.

Thanks Bill, very kind. I've had a look at the rest of the parts and it does seem to be the only major flaw, excepting a little bit of flash here and there.

The tanks however went together really well and the joins vanished with a bit of micro-mesh attention but the holes for the fixings were tight until I'd scraped the pins a bit:

31662545485_05e7122a39_z.jpg

Next step is to attach the fuselage. The front join didn't resolve itself so I've clamped that and glued it prior to joining to the wings:

31662603475_d7eff74655_z.jpg

I'll glue those together in the morning.

• Like 10

It's lovely just watching this come together piece by piece Ced. I get a sense that apart from some of the rather brutal moulding issues in places, that you're enjoying this aircraft. Mig-chasing across the ceiling eh? Excellent. I've an urge to track down that old Robert Mitchum film The Hunters now....

Ps. I couldn't quite read the lettering on those tasty looking clamps. Do you mind me asking where you got them from?

Stay Furyous,

Baroness Mandy

• Like 2

Ced, your doing really well. I've got one of these in my stash up the loft. That's where it's staying! 

Keep up the good work. Joe. :santa:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

tasty looking clamps.

Thanks Tony - the clamps (one of my favourite tools) are 'Berna clamps' and they're great (waxes lyrical, again). Rather than 'clamping' they hold the pressure you squeeze them to so they're good for holding, squeezing or downright bullying parts into submission. The soft jaws grip well and resist most glues. I love 'em. (Oh yes I do!) Two lengths of carbon fibre rod.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

... that old Robert Mitchum film The Hunters

I haven't seen that - on the 'to watch' list. PC it has the wrong aircraft? In a Hollywood movie? Shock, horror, probe... and not even close to accurate! (Thanks Bill)

Thanks Joe - very kind :) (oh, Santa, for Christmas I'd like...)

• Like 3

Hello Ced, I hope I didn't offend you when I said my kit is staying in the loft. I'm sorry if I did. Your making an excellent job of your Sea Fury getting over the problems. I can't even assemble a Tamiya kit lately, let alone a kit that needs a lot of work to put it together like your doing. Keep up the good work. Joe.

• Like 2

I still have ' The hunters ' on video tape somewhere, the author of the book was an ex-Korean War F-86 pilot I believe. I remember the book being better than the film, I don't think there was any ' love interest ' to spoil the plot.

Stil making good use of the clamps I see.

John

• Like 1

Thanks PC - "The First Great Spectacle of the Jet Age" - oooh! Mai Britt looks nice, pretty girl.

For rent on YouTube (UK) or DVD on Amazon for £2.07 or £33... I expect the latter is a rip off special edition?

Hi Joe - you offend? Of course not! I hope you get your mojo back soon :)

Thanks John - the pictures are always better on the radio in books!

I should have been clearer in my response to Tony that the Berna clamps are available in two sizes with the rod length being the only difference (sorry Tony). Also, some people say that they twist off, but in my opinion (and Professor Berna's, the inventor) they only do that if you don't have them straight or you're trying to get them to clamp too hard. I think I probably got mine from Models R Go, about £10 a pair for the small ones and each for the large. Recommended!

I did have a bit of a sand and glue last night before bed:

30834277014_26da38e028_z.jpg

Nice joins except an irritating one on the nose, now filled with Liquid Green Stuff for sanding later.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

should have been clearer in my response to Tony that the Berna clamps are available in two sizes with the rod length being the only difference (sorry Tony)

Thanks Ced. I'm sure your own rod length is fine.

• Like 3

Thanks Greg. I think/hope, that after the LE mold issue my problems are behind me (famous last words).

Thanks Stew.

Thanks Tony (fnaar fnaar!) I've edited the post above with some more about the clamps...

• Like 1

Oh dear Ced, after all your trauma with flash-laden mouldings leading edge wise it pains me to mention, but mention I must...

Look at the masses of flash on the underwing tank joins

Disgusting, they orta be shot and keel hauled

However, here we are winning again

Nice work

• Like 3

Thanks Giorgio :)

Hi Boss. What? Flash on the tanks? Wha... where... oh, you're kidding you wag you :D

Thanks Joe :) 

That said the "nice joins" comment should have been delayed until I'd turned her over (🎶 lay me down and do it again 🎶) and 'fitted' the tailwheel doors:

31530658252_0b5a9a0975_n.jpg 31676631585_16f33ed0ef_n.jpg

Regular readers will remember that I'd cut too much Milliput during my last build but had only mixed some using Alex's sausage method. I'd put the other sausages back in the packet, hoping they would stay soft, so I got them out this morning:

31531279432_bfa8222e28.jpg

Still soft, if a bit brown. I mixed those and used it to fill the rear wing join, the sink marks on the wing flares and the gap in the tailwheel:

30867389463_2c6272b9e8.jpg

Lovely stuff - no sanding! Still a load left over (as usual) so I just threw it away - I don't care! 0.002p worth of filler, begone!

In other news #2 daughter sent me a photo of a 'Lessons from Phil Dunphy' mug. 'Modern Family' is one of my favourites and always makes me drool laugh... (it's Claire, not the more obvious totty). Some lessons to pass on:

• If you love something, set it free... unless it's a Tiger.
  • Watch a sunrise at least once a day.
  • Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail.
  • Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt.
  • Marry someone who looks sexy when they're disappointed.

and some quotes, just because I'm in the mood:

• The iPad comes out on my actual birthday. It’s like Steve Jobs and God got together to say, “We love you, Phil.”
  • I’m cool dad, that’s my thang. I’m hip, I surf the web, I text. LOL: laugh out loud, OMG: oh my god, WTF: why the face

She's also just seen Peter Capaldi in the cafe - a small benefit of living in London I suppose.

• Like 9

56 minutes ago, Fatboydim said:

I think I got had then, silly me. :suicide:

Possibly ;) but my Sea Fury model's tanks don't have enough of a seam so I relegated them to a cardboard box near me

And now Sir Cedric has made it imperative that I impose seams on mine and use them

:(

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3