Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

50 minutes ago, Fatboydim said:

Hi Ced, looking good. I found Mr Hobby paints very good. They take a couple of days to harden, but that's never a problem for a slow coach like me. As for the tops, I never have a problem. I just get my apprentice I told you about to open them for me. ;)

But, I do find cleaning the top of the jar off with a tissue before I put the top back on helps. 

Joe you are a man with an organised mind... I have seen your builds.... wiping to top of the bottle why didn't I think of that

• Like 3

Thanks everyone! I hope you don't mind but I'm going to reduce my use of 'quotes'... were on page 3* already. Please don't stop commenting - that's half the fun!

Paint jars: Squibby thanks for the tip on tapping the top on the table*, Rob and Joe for suggesting getting someone younger to handle it* and Joe for suggesting wiping the top with a tissue*. I usually spray the last rinse of my airbrush onto paper towel so I think I'll use that to wipe off the excess* before putting the top back on. Thanks guys! You know how much of a tool man I am* and I do have one of these:

30751230324_e00d800dfe_n.jpg

and I tried the wrench, but I now realise I need to also use the rubbery thing to get a better grip next time*.

Joe they take days to dry? But... wha... er... Doesn't that mean I need to get some patience from somewhere? I did thin before spraying so hopefully it'll dry fast enough - we shall see!

Thanks Bill (perdu) - straight wings, wheels up, bronze green projectiles. I share your dislike of stripes and I'm hoping that they're as wide as Tamiya tape to make it easier... more jeopardy! Rob; shell no 2?! :wicked: I could do without stencilling tiny letters thanks and I thinks a white nose (#3) is going to be easier... just checked the transfers and nothing there, rats.

Kevin and PC you're absolutely right, of course, the 262 downing must have been first, this entry saying it was in 1944. I wonder why they claimed this for the Fury? Flippin' 'net can't be trusted!

Perhaps I should get myself a Mig-15 to model being 'downed' when I hang it from the ceiling? Hmmm... kit suggestions?

Just listening to 'The Burkiss Way' on R4x and they're doing the 'buying a gramophone' sketch. Here's the NTNOCN version:

Classic. If mean.

Is it dry yet? I need to get on with the interior detailing... later.

* I really think I have some sort of disease (yip yip) but I'm trying (fnaar fnaar) to restrain my 'inner Finbar Saunders'... honest!

• Like 8

Maybe you could alternate between builds while the paint hardens on the previous project. Personally, I watch it dry. But only when I'm at work and getting paid to watch paint dry. I just tell my apprentice that I don't want to be distributed and she sends them on their way. 

Thank you Rob. I clean off the first couple of threads on the paint jar as well. 

• Like 2

What Dornier! I've only just found this. I do like the Sea Fury, I nearly bought the Trumpeter 1/48 version but there was something about the nose which didn't look quite right, so I passed. I'm now looking forward to the Airfix version next year, along with the Mustang. 

The Mr Hobby device for loosening paint jar tops is great, I suppose you've already worked out that the end marked 2 fits the small Tamiya jars, I bought one a couple of years ago and use it all the time.

cheers

John

PS when are you going to move up to 1/48? You know you want to.

• Like 3

Mr Hobby paint semi gloss paint dries pretty quick, not quite as quick as Tamiya flat which literally dries seconds after it hits the surface.

I don't think you need to wait for days for it to harden. It'll stand up to mild handling if you're careful and you can mask over it after an hour or 2.

Of course if you're using gloss colours be prepared to leave them for at least a day and before you mask make sure you either gloss (or flat if you prefer) the paintwork. It marrs very easily even when apparently nice and dry, a gloss coat seems to seal it nicely.

Good luck with the build...

Edited by Squibby
  • Like 2

"Perhaps I should get myself a Mig-15 to model being 'downed' when I hang it from the ceiling? Hmmm... kit suggestions?"

Sorry about the lack of a 'proper' quote Ced, I can't seem to delete the embedded vid when I try to edit your post.

The new Eduard kit is supposed to be the Bees Knees of 1/72 Fagots (does that sound right?!), whilst the 'new' Airfix one, whilst apparently being a nice kit with a fairly good shape, is supposedly overscale & too big. Ceiling viewing angle perspective might take care of that though...!! Don't know what the Hobby Boss single seater  is like, I have the twin stick which looks fine in the box, apart from the complete lack of control columns...!

And I thought it was common practice to wipe around the top & lids of paint pots/tins before replacing the lids? Perhaps I'm not as daft as I look then...!!

Keith

• Like 5

I agree with John (Biggles87). 

When are you going move up to 1/48th scale? Join the dark side. You know you want to Luke, I mean Ced

• Like 4

Thanks Joe and Squibby - I had a prod at the aqueous paint and it seemed to be dry enough (for me) so I carried on (see below). Alternate between builds Joe? I'm only just about managing one at a time!

Hi John and welcome - nice to have you here in tiny land... I didn't realise the ends were for different pots - thanks for the tip :) 

I'm still resisting upscaling until either my ceiling fills up or my eyes get more squiffy but full marks for persistence! Now you've got Joe ganging up on me as well! 

Thanks Keith and PC for the Mig advice. To be honest I'm wavering on the idea as it's a jet... (groans at my theme idea). The box art seems to show Russian markings? Is that right? (Showing my ignorance again). I've dithered for a bit... while writing this... and ordered on for £5 from Model Hobbies. Then of course the £3.50 postage seemed steep so I ordered a Barracuda as well. Oh, and some Contacta at £1 a pot. Bargain! (Usual delusional shopping gene evident)

I shall also wipe around the paint pots and keep my fingers crossed (which is going to make it awkward...)

Hi Leon and welcome!

I'm not having a good day (blub blub) as, while I was looking for some cockpit shots, I clicked an image in the search results which went to a weird 'funnypics' website. Lots of pop ups (oh no), no pictures, and then a message to say my Mac was locked and I needed to call a number to unlock it. Great. :jump_fire::rant:.

This required me to empty my browser cache and now all my website settings have gone. I wish there was a 'zap 'em' button that took these idiots out - what a load of [insert your favourite insult here].

Now then, where was I... oh yes, a Fury. Don't forget to put tiny part A32, which has a pointed location pin, into the starboard fuselage half, which has a slot for it:

31448282082_8be93cf2c0_z.jpg

just not where the instructions point to. And there's flash on the slot. What the...? Talk about a round peg in a square hole slot.

Then I put some white in the dials:

31479061841_4fb69cebd1_z.jpg

with a 10/0 brush and (a bit later) applied some flat black to that and other deserving bits:

31481143141_3bf2f4e68b_n.jpg 31224735070_77c11e9c61_n.jpg

Then I waited (a bit) for that to dry, poked through the black on the dials to expose some white (pointless) and had my usual blob about with Pitt pens, ink from the Liquidex pens and some AK to complete a completely unrealistic but colourful cockpit:

31481742991_61c749ef0e_z.jpg

30756490864_1588a009dd_z.jpg

It'll look great on the ceiling. 

Dry fit of the fuselage and, um, it's not good:

31225372490_49b729110d_z.jpg

I think the molds for the locating pins have been on the same diet as I have, or the holes have got tight. A quick seeing-to with a suitable sized drill and the fit is very good:

30758179894_97e2b3b6ba_z.jpg

I haven't glued the front as I think it needs spreading so I'll see what happens when the wings go on. The instructions would have you fit the arrestor hook before closing, but it just drops out. It just drops out. Drops... out. Oh for goodness sake! 

31452510022_f44f45c486_z.jpg

It will fit in after close up (he said confidently) so it's been put in a little box on the bench to be forgotten later.

• Like 23

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Eduard Miggy

Eduard Miggy,Eduard Miggy?????:blink:,just who the devil is this wretched fellow attempting to steal one's nom-de-plume????:o(or is it nom-de-guerre?,anyway)

You are a fiend Sir,I shall have you clapped in irons and whipped off to the BM guardroom sharply for this effront.:spider:.

Er,in other news Cedders,let me have a rummage about,might just turn up summink information shaped on Sea Furries

fo'r'eeeeeee.

• Like 3

Just now, Miggers said:

Eduard Miggy,Eduard Miggy?????:blink:,just who the devil is this wretched fellow attempting to steal one's nom-de-plume????:o(or is it nom-de-guerre?,anyway)

You are a fiend Sir,I shall have you clapped in irons and whipped off to the BM guardroom sharply for this effront.:spider:.

I call more than one MiG "Miggy Pudding", too. I'll strike again! I can't be stopped!

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Miggers said:

This naughtiness must cease forth or even fifthwith.

More than my life's worth to mention Mrs. Miggins' Pie Shop then? I suppose I'd better not in case it gets PC pumped up for another lunge... :wicked:

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

More than my life's worth to mention Mrs. Miggins' Pie Shop then? I suppose I'd better not in case it gets PC pumped up for another lunge... :wicked:

Ah,now a pie shoppe,quite partial to a pie:pie:(just mustn't let Mrs M espy secret pie scoffing in progress though:evil_laugh:)

• Like 2

Thanks Nigel, very kind.

Cheers Miggers! Har har, shiver me timbers... make 'em walk the plankI says...

(Thread deteriorates into pierate talk - see what I did there? Thanks PC and Tony too)

• Like 4

Last few posts are an example of how I get lost .... so, as a sort of countetpart, I'll say:

Ma si può sapere di che cavolo state parlando? 

:D:D 

Ciao

• Like 4

Ced, I think you got right what I said - and Google translate went very close too, with your reply :thumbsup: Anyway, my sentence reads: "May I know what the heck are you talking about?" :D 

Ciao

• Like 3

Thanks Giorgio - it won't stop them though, you know that don't you :)

Hi Jont and welcome.

Thanks Alex... start of the 'insult the audience', mocking and smutty 'alternative' comedy that, thankfully, now seems to be on the wain.

Progress. Empennage and turtleneck fitted:

30807714433_841b1a031a_z.jpg

VERY stiff but accurate mounts for the tailplane but a small bit of flash on the insides stopped a perfect join until it was cleaned off. The rudder is weird though... no locations and flat surfaces so I'm not sure what they were after there.

Very nice detail on the lower wing but again a little bit of flash to clean off:

31501821091_ef5c0d994b_z.jpg

Then the nicely detailed wheel well was fitted. Assuming this helps set the shape of the wing it was clamped while drying:

31501890881_e9a00a9016_z.jpg

• Like 13