Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

Thanks Keith... "only two mind"... over Christmas? :rofl:

Hi Miggers and welcome! Oooh, a challenge!! Now then, folded (means wheels too and finding somewhere to put it) or straight wings? 

I think Keith's right... or is he?

Found some more reviews. 

'Picking the nits' on Hyperscale: "... I think most modellers will be happy to just build it out of the box". That's me!

Finescalemodeller corrects the scheme to EDSG and notes "No colors were suggested for the rockets, so I painted mine olive drab with black warheads." Is this right?

Designer.home builds the model and compares it with the Special Hobby. It notes that the canopy top frame needs to go, cockpit is black, and says "The Trumpeter kit decals seem OK but are not. The black-white striping does not match the kit contours; you will have to spray them" Great, not. it also says "the tailhook is 5 mm too long". Hmmm.

It also points to a 1/32 build cockpit for nice detail.

Right, time to get started (finally).

• Like 2

No likes left and is not even halfway through the day! Rest assured most of you would be getting a like....

i think you have plumed for the best scheme choice ced and you will have no probs spraying the stripes ced, it's a doddle 

Rob

• Like 2

Ced, If I read your comments right you're going to do this as 114 /O, flown by Hoagy Carmicheal off Ocean when he was credited with a MIG 15 kill?

I have some photos of Sea Fury's (including 114/O on board HMS Ocean during the Korean war, from a book privately printed for the crew of this carrier after their tours off Korea. My father served on board Ocean at that time (signaller, not air crew) which is how I've got the book now. II'm afraid they are not very good, but if you'd like to see them I'll try and get them to you.

Oh hang on, you've probably finished this one already !!

:rolleyes:

The offer's still there though .

Edited by Whofan
spelling (again!)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Hi Jeffers and Graham and welcome. As usual I'm planning to do the kit scheme unless some research turns up a nicer option.

Hey Mr. Buffers, the kit scheme is of course lovely. The red and yellow stripes are pretty too, if I were to start a second of this boxing. Which, would hint that I finished the first to begin with. :)

You've got me thinking about the single version I have in my possession, and my plan to do it in a Mk. 10 (X?) scheme.

I apologize for my meandering thoughts and while secretly hoping you'd do an earlier scheme, B) it seems that the conversion would be pricey and involved. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Looks like I've arrived just in time for the ceremonial cutting of the first bit off the sprue. 

Hi Simon and welcome! One just for you:

30767038313_5ebcd262bb.jpg

You can't hear the brass band...

Thanks Rob - I think I'll do the lazy 'white primer' trick again.

Thanks Simon, I'm going to take this one a bit more slowly. Maybe.

Hi Whofan - I'd love to see the photos and, if you're happy, scan them in and share with the forum. PM sent.

Hi Jeffers - both schemes are attractive but you know me, OOB kit basher!

First stage separation complete:

31576981185_97170a5313_z.jpg

• Like 12

The Sea Fury is quite possibly the most beautiful single engine propeller driven fighter ever made. I recently purchased the Aki resin kit since not having a Sea Fury in my FAA collection counts as a crime against nature. The opening for the cockpit in the fuselage looks quite different on your Trumpeter kit - is there an insert or something for the turtledeck? 

Feel free to use any colour you like as long as it's EDSG! (Although I may do mine in RCN colours...)   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

...The opening for the cockpit in the fuselage looks quite different on your Trumpeter kit - is there an insert or something for the turtledeck? 

Feel free to use any colour you like as long as it's EDSG! (Although I may do mine in RCN colours...)   :)

I think it is two parts to the right of Ced's bright clippers in the pic below. RCN colours? Wow, that'll be one to watch too. My, we're spoiled here. :wub:

44 minutes ago, CedB said:

Hi Simon and welcome! One just for you:

30767038313_5ebcd262bb.jpg

Hi Jeffers - both schemes are attractive but you know me, OOB kit basher!

I think I know that, but I've got this creative side that keeps exploring options in lieu of the Box top. I tend to over-complicate things in every aspect of life. :) 

Please carry on, this is a great distraction from applying drywall compound to the stairwell ceiling. Yuk.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CedB said:

and notes "No colors were suggested for the rockets, so I painted mine olive drab with black warheads." Is this right?

From recent memory of looking into weapon colours of the period I'd suggest a bronze-green colour overall on the rockets Ced, with coloured marking bands on the warhead, rather than solid colour. I can't recall off the top of my head the different colour bands for live, practice, AP/HE etc. but that British ordnance pdf floating around the web has quite detailed information if you can get your paws on it. I'd send you mind but it's lost in the pipeline due to having to swap out backup drives recently.

Tony

• Like 2

Hello Ced. Will leave this out. Not my favorite or just neither I like it, nor I like it not. But I will look at it by chance, maybe for some advice or ref. if appreciated. ( And a good reason to calm down by your hi-speed modelling :winkgrin: )

Cheers and nice evening.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The Sea Fury is quite possibly the most beautiful single engine propeller driven fighter ever made. I recently purchased the Aki resin kit since not having a Sea Fury in my FAA collection counts as a crime against nature. The opening for the cockpit in the fuselage looks quite different on your Trumpeter kit - is there an insert or something for the turtledeck? 

Cheers,

Bill

6 hours ago, modelglue said:

I think it is two parts to the right of Ced's bright clippers in the pic below. RCN colours? Wow, that'll be one to watch too. My, we're spoiled here. :wub:

I think I know that, but I've got this creative side that keeps exploring options in lieu of the Box top. I tend to over-complicate things in every aspect of life. :) 

Please carry on, this is a great distraction from applying drywall compound to the stairwell ceiling. Yuk.

Hi Bill, nice to have you along. Jeffers is right that there's a two part assembly for the turtleneck - it can be seen in the photo below.

Jeffers you're using drywall compound on a stairwell? What model are you building?? :)

6 hours ago, Nomis61 said:

Is there a Skype link as I can't seem to get near

Simon

Hi Simon - plenty of room, welcome!

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice ceremonial cutting Ced, nothing lazy about the white primer trick.... only the most intelligent people do it....

jeffers I how the home improvements are going well!

Rob

Thanks Rob - white primer it is.

4 hours ago, Christer A said:

The cutting of sprues has already started?

What else have I missed?

Brb, will read it all through once more :D

Hi Christer and welcome.

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

I'll certainly be following this. Got the same kit and wondering whether to start it now that Airfix went all 1/48 on me.

Justin

Hi Justin and welcome. I bet they downscale the 1/48... then I'll have to build one of those as well!

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

From recent memory of looking into weapon colours of the period I'd suggest a bronze-green colour overall on the rockets Ced, with coloured marking bands on the warhead, rather than solid colour. I can't recall off the top of my head the different colour bands for live, practice, AP/HE etc. but that British ordnance pdf floating around the web has quite detailed information if you can get your paws on it. I'd send you mind but it's lost in the pipeline due to having to swap out backup drives recently.

Tony

Thanks Tony - I have it, thanks for reminding me! Assuming we're talking about 3" Aircraft Rockets the pdf (page 313/4) says they were fitted with five heads:

• Shell H.E. 60lb No 1 Mk I painted dark green overall with 1/2" yellow letters for designation
  • Shell H.E. 60lb S.A.P. Nos 1 and 2 Mk I painted dark green overall with 1/2" white and 1/2" red band near the nose. A 1" green band is painted around the shell body stencilled with the initials of the explosive main filling
  • Shot 25lb S.A.P. Mk I painted black overall apart from a 1" white nose
  • Shot 25lb A.P. Mk I painted black overall apart from a 1" white nose and a 1/2" white band
  • Shot 25lb A.P. Mk II painted the same as the Mk I

That's really small bands eh? I'll go with your dark green for the body and choose a head... an easy one!

3 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. Will leave this out. Not my favorite or just neither I like it, nor I like it not. But I will look at it by chance, maybe for some advice or ref. if appreciated. ( And a good reason to calm down by your hi-speed modelling :winkgrin: )

Cheers and nice evening.

Thanks Benedikt - no problem, just pop in when you feel like it :)

Interior painted Gunze H337 as per instructions:

30744144944_4259fde42d_z.jpg

you can see the turtleneck top left.

I don't use Gunze very often but I'll be using it for this. How the heck do you stop the lids sticking on??!!

• Like 9

I normally tap the side of the cap on the edge of my wooden table a few times and it usually allows me to open it. Sometimes you need a bit of force to crack and dislodge the paint but don't overdo it or you may crack the jar.

Else brute forcing it with a pair of gripping pliers will do the job while leaving your cap a bit worse for wear :). You could also invest in one of those purpose made paint jar opener things they sell.

• Like 3

You are allowed to breathe between epics you know Ced

Right my gleanings

Straight wings mean she flies

bent means you have to find places to put the wheels

and Bronze Green for the projectiles

have I forgotten anything?

No I dont think so

I will use yours to remind me to finish mine which has sat in the cupboard with new sctrachy build wheel covers and masked up ready for a second go at painting the stripes because I'm on twelve months of Naviation tha knows...

I  hated the stripes on my kit

vile bloomin fings

Mine's not this posh Trumper though, its the one Airfix also boxed and sold a while back, PJM was it?

Nice kit but not as sophisticated as the old Frog one with two part wings that can be folded

I'm relying on texts from some of the guys at the front to keep up

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, CedB said:

"Flying an 805 Squadron Sea Fury from H.M.S. Ocean in Korean waters, 1952, Hoagy Carmichael became the first piston engine pilot to destroy a jet aircraft when he downed a North Korean MiG."

Might have been the first piston engine pilot to destroy a second-generation jet aircraft, but surely Me-262s were shot down by Tempests & Mustangs?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KevinK said:

Might have been the first piston engine pilot to destroy a second-generation jet aircraft, but surely Me-262s were shot down by Tempests & Mustangs?

Allied fighters shot down two German jets for every Allied aircraft German jets shot down, so I'd say yes, you're correct.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Hi Bill, nice to have you along. Jeffers is right that there's a two part assembly for the turtleneck - it can be seen in the photo below.

Jeffers you're using drywall compound on a stairwell? What model are you building?? :)

Hi Simon - plenty of room, welcome!

Thanks Rob - white primer it is.

Hi Christer and welcome.

Hi Justin and welcome. I bet they downscale the 1/48... then I'll have to build one of those as well!

Thanks Tony - I have it, thanks for reminding me! Assuming we're talking about 3" Aircraft Rockets the pdf (page 313/4) says they were fitted with five heads:

• Shell H.E. 60lb No 1 Mk I painted dark green overall with 1/2" yellow letters for designation
  • Shell H.E. 60lb S.A.P. Nos 1 and 2 Mk I painted dark green overall with 1/2" white and 1/2" red band near the nose. A 1" green band is painted around the shell body stencilled with the initials of the explosive main filling
  • Shot 25lb S.A.P. Mk I painted black overall apart from a 1" white nose
  • Shot 25lb A.P. Mk I painted black overall apart from a 1" white nose and a 1/2" white band
  • Shot 25lb A.P. Mk II painted the same as the Mk I

That's really small bands eh? I'll go with your dark green for the body and choose a head... an easy one!

Thanks Benedikt - no problem, just pop in when you feel like it :)

Interior painted Gunze H337 as per instructions:

30744144944_4259fde42d_z.jpg

you can see the turtleneck top left.

I don't use Gunze very often but I'll be using it for this. How the heck do you stop the lids sticking on??!!

Sounds like she'll number 2 is the one for you ced.... how are you going to do the letters? Free hand or masking?

i have the same issue with tamiya paints, upside is the kids can't open them.... not an issue you have though....

nice to see some paint going down ced.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Ced, looking good. I found Mr Hobby paints very good. They take a couple of days to harden, but that's never a problem for a slow coach like me. As for the tops, I never have a problem. I just get my apprentice I told you about to open them for me. ;)

But, I do find cleaning the top of the jar off with a tissue before I put the top back on helps. 

• Like 4