Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

You are right about the camera Ced, it does show up all the little warts etc.

But it is a great tool to use.

At the end of the day , I think that everybody uses the MK 1 Eyeball when viewing builds.

Still, glad that you and Lady H had a good time, and the house was still standing.

Simon and Lady R.

• Like 2

Thanks Tony and Simon - hopefully there won't be too many faults to show up.

Thanks Keith - fined for littering with paper 'planes? Call it 'art'!

Thanks Rob, too kind.

Just before I get back to the bench a quick look at the clock on the building opposite our hotel room:

31887982692_dd75758bd6_z.jpg

Corn Street Clock by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Notice anything? On the day we've added a second to the day?

Two minute hands. The red minute hand shows Greenwich Mean Time and the black minute hand shows 'Bristol time'. The clock was first installed in 1822. A second minute hand was later added to show the time in London as well as the local time in Bristol. This became necessary following the arrival of the railways, which required a standardised time for timetabling around the country, known as 'railway time'.

To this day, trains to Bristol always arrive ten minutes late, presumably as a mark of respect... :whistle: 

• Like 10

Welcome back, Ced! Excellent choice of camera: small, light, high-res, and a Nikkor lens :). The results are apparent already! It will be working even better after the lovely holiday.

Sea Fury looking good: waiting patiently for more. "Please, Sir, can we have some more?"

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Always wondered what they wanted to exchange for that corn, back in the olden days?

Funny thing about cameras

They ain't not blimmin funny at  all

:(

When the lady wife bought me a decent camera a couple of years ago I found I didn't know how to drive it

So she enrolled me on a medium skills driving lesson for 'better camera buffs'

Has anyone seen me getting better pictures since?

No you haven't

I should maybe get my dad's old Voigtlander back in service and get some film developed, but that won't stop me being a useless camera pilot

:(

Ced just caught up but haven't spared bandwidth to watch the movie, but as you all like it I'll have a butcher's tomorrow

Looking at the prop tip woes sent me into my cupboard to check up on the prop on my Sea Fury

Relax sirrah yours is streets better.......now

Happy new year to you and yours, 'migoshagolly I hope your little safe haven survived the house invasion

• Like 2

Thanks Alex - as one of my 'camera gurus' I'm glad you think it was a good buy - goodbye to £150!

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Always wondered what they wanted to exchange for that corn, back in the olden days?

Hi Bill - judging by the stalls in the market, was it handbags?

There are also a couple of 'nails' outside and I had to resist the temptation to 'hit one on the head'.

I know what you mean about 'driving' the camera - I'm the same. As is my wont I spent some time fiddling with the buttons and menus and then read the manual to see what I hadn't 'discovered'; lots, as it turned out. I have no idea what most of the options mean but I'm sure, if I ever want to adjust my saturation (oooer missus) there's an an option somewhere.

Similarly the software for uploading and editing the pictures - histograms! Pretty but I have no idea what they're for...

Much like a new washing machine (of which I know nothing) I guess I'll find a combination of settings that works for me and never touch the buttons again.

I did spend some time seeing what difference there was between 8M, 4M, 2M and VGA images when uploaded to Flickr. Of course I then looked at them on my computer screen which has 1440x900 pixels (and '300 nits brightness' - I have nits??) and could see no difference with my old eyes so I guess the only difference is if people want to zoom in.

Given my previous shot and the flaws it showed I think I'll stick to 2M for reasonable file size and detail. Who knows?

I may even get some time to re-paint the prop and apply the transfers later. Seems like ages since I did anything - a whole year in fact :) 

• Like 3

A histogram (either live or for a recorded image) is just a simple graph of intensity Ced, showing from low at left up to high on the right, in the image. You have them for luminosity (or 'brightness') levels, or for the individual red, green and blue channels for respective chroma (or 'colour') intensities as well.

The luminosity histogram is a useful way of seeing in detail if an image is under- or over-exposed (for example on some cameras in daylight the LCD screen may make it hard to see the images clearly due to ambient light, just like a mobile phone). If say you have a daylight photo of a landscape scene and you notice the histogram has a lot of spikes up at the right hand side, it's likely over-exposed. That's a simplified explanation and of course it depends on the subject (a photo of a bright white wall for instance would have a narrow range on the histogram), but you get the idea.

As to the difference between 2 and 16 megapixels you're exactly right regarding forum postings. Although I shoot at 16 megapixels, I always scale the images down to about 800x500 pixels in size for posting - for onscreen stuff of the kind we do that's absolutely fine unless you want to give people the option to download high-resolution versions.

It's a similar issue to when people buy 4K computer monitors and then complain that the film doesn't look that much better on it than their old monitor of the same physical size. 4K films will look better on a bigger physical screen (like the cinema or 50"+ home screens) because they render visible on a larger surface area more of the available image details; at the physical dimensions of a computer monitor, you'll just miss a lot of that detail due to smaller physical size of the screen, so there's no real benefit. I was talking to a Sony engineer from Japan a couple of years back and that question used to drive him mad.

HTH,

Tony

• Like 6

Thanks Tony - helpful. 

That said it's a bit of a pain connecting the camera to the Mac, transferring the photos and then uploading them to Flickr. It's a one-step process on the iPhone so I think I'll keep the camera for the close ups and RFI shots as planned. Cuh, the yoof of today eh?

To see if it makes a difference to my WiPs I took some of these with the camera and some with the iPhone.

Micro-mesh the tips. There's some sort of plastic, blobby build up which had to go:

32048985285_59814f638e_z.jpg

then blobbed with the Liquidex pen:

32009982506_3f475cef24_z.jpg

and masked with the tape I bought for the stripes. I have about 45m of this left so may as well use it for something (famous last words). Repainted with brushed Tamiya flat black

31239031853_4dcd116903_z.jpg

I can't help but feel that this is getting a bit tedious for everyone so, as soon as I get my mojo back, I'll get on with the interesting stuff. 

Now, why did I leave that tube of AK paste 'gunmetal' on the bench? To remind me of something. Ah, cannons, that's it, need to fit those and paint the coolers.

• Like 11

Ced dear chap, if you get a memory card SD, you can use that as your storage for pics.

Then transfer them to the Mac using a card reader.

It saves the batteries.....

A pita I know but in preview it helps to sort out the crap ones.

As for the mojo, well it has eluded me for a while but I feel it coming back.

The props are turning out nice.

Simon.

• Like 1

Ced, it's the tedious bits that normally make the difference on the final result (currently dealing with many of them in my WIP :banghead: ). Propeller looks good :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - SD card, I have one of those! I'll give it a try.

Thanks Giorgio - you're right, of course. How can I expect to get a nice result without the effort... point taken! :) 

Thanks John - HNY 2 U 2 (that Baron chap got to me) and

Thanks Johnny for the crossed fingers - they worked (see below)!

Thanks Rob. Yep, you're right. Good enough for a WiP though eh?

I was going to apologise for the amount of time (and space) used on the prop but I hope, after Giorgio's comment, that it will help others. Maybe help. Here it is done:

31242004353_2c30b363b7_z.jpg

Happyish with that for a 'nicely painted prop' but it still lacks the 'je ne sais quoi' of those done by 'the modellers'. Ho hum. More care next time.

Finally time for the transfers. There aren't many so shouldn't take lo... what the!!

31211735564_aa75436a24_n.jpg 32052528005_b4a4122369_n.jpg

The transfers are obviously designed for the incorrect placement of the 'Korean' stripes. Quick search for a reference shot:

04_hms_theseus.jpg

That'll do. I chopped the transfer to the stripe and stuck it on applied it carefully:

31242898833_6854216f37_n.jpg

Of course the placement of the top roundels was also wrong on the theme but they were applied to match that shot too.

Done:

31905095012_7d2907569f_z.jpg

• Like 18

A dark wash on the propeller hub and a few scratches along the shafts (is that the right word?) is all you need for your propeller, Ced. :winkgrin: 

Great job with the decals; as Simon says, they bring it to life :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Greg. I can't wait, but the matt coat needs to go on first and then it'll be off!

Thanks Simon.

Thanks Giorgio - scratches on the blades? I might have a go at that and certainly I need to dirty up the exhausts. And some rocket blast behind the racks.

While the transfers were drying I stuck on the tiny bits - cannons fitted, outboard protruding:

31680603700_e745895fde_n.jpg 31680604460_d524e2f31a_n.jpg

Glued in with Gators Grip and I may paint them ?Gunmetal or black when that's dry. Racks fitted and bottom aerial and footstep fitted:

31680604950_bf214811f2_z.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice Sea Fury, Ced! Always one of my favourite aeroplanes and I think the best-looking radial-engined aeroplane ever. I was tempted to buy this kit (their Wyvern is quite a nice kit), but after looking at this thread I may wait until someone (Airfix, you know who I'm talking about!) comes up with a better one. Good luck finishing yours - you're on the home stretch now (says he who never seems to even get to within shouting distance of the home stretch).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Thanks Jason - not the best kit I've built but then not the worse either. Wyvern eh? On my wishlist!

Q: What's this then?

32060583635_9ab1b9650f_z.jpg

A: A dead one of these

32060572945_bf34a09a52_z.jpg

Everything fitted, lights on the bottom replaced with Klear (dropped one!) and the footstep fitted again, this time with CA.

A bit of weathering tomorrow and then RFI.

• Like 13