Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

Spinning props are always a bugger to get a decent look in scale, especially ours and especially when there are spinners.

If you want to continue that route the best look I have seen is to fill the spinner, then cut it where the prop blades would be and glue the clear part at that location.  Then glue the back part of the spinner back on.

Really is a scale effect thing in my opinion as the flat clear styrene just doesn't have the thickness of the actual props.

As to marking the spinner the best looks I have seen are more of a less approach. 

Here are some links that give some suggestions:

http://www.colacola.se/howto_propblur.htm

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1203499587/Replicating+Spinning+Propellors

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=94597  scroll down a bit to see a 5-bladed version for a helicopter but could be used.

http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/turning_props/

Course, the filled spinner and no blades sometimes works out too.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/features/spitsfiretm_1.htm

Then again, as stated before, it is your model.  Try to get a look that works for you.

• Like 4

Thanks Phil - I've had a look at the links and I think you're right... hard to get a good look 'at scale'.

Here's my best attempt with the new disc:

31587558571_ab4c3cdb3b_z.jpg

Too distracting and doesn't really look like a spinning prop does it? Oh well, back to the 'frozen prop' look I know and love am happy with.

Not long now. I've cut off and cleaned the six rocket tails. In a cunning design Trumpeter have them vertical in the sprue so all of them have flash down the middle of the fins:

31556269992_a0c0784d28_z.jpg

Done now and the six rockets also cleaned:

30892796773_330cbf2185_z.jpg

There's a step in the fins and the same on the rockets so the join is going to be fun. I need to wait until my patience tank tops up and I can think of a cunning way to hold them straight while they dry.

• Like 12

While all the chat has been on about food and wingfolds paint pots etc one vital point that needs correcting and was fleetingly mentioned at the start is the bubble top canopy. That "frame line" down the centre should be file off and the clear part polished up. OR you could try John Aero here (of Aeroclub fame) for a vacform replacement.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon - yep, time for something easy. The Pfeil was supposed to be an easy build and I'm hoping that the Hobby Boss MiG-15 to go with this is going to be a breeze.

Thanks Paul - canopy not forgotten but thanks for the reminder.

Thanks Giorgio, pinning such small bits would be, er, fun but I hatched a cunning plan that cannot fail:

31704778085_68e3c67640_z.jpg

Tail stuck in BluTak first then rocket 'offered up' and glued with extra thin. Fingers crossed!

• Like 7

Thanks Giorgio and Simon.

While the rockets are drying and I'm waiting for 'Strictly' to finish I got hold of the canopy and gunsight:

30896237813_bd31f0d74a_z.jpg

and polished out the lines. The gunsight has one on the back which is impossible to reach. Rats.

30864990394_6d24664b95_z.jpg

A coat of Aqua Gloss and that should be nice and shiny.

• Like 9

I'm just wondering if you actually need the rockets Ced?  Haven't ever read the combat report, but wonder if Hoagy's machine actually had them loaded on that sortie, or if he'd already used them? Maybe it would have been s.o.p. to get rid of them before entering combat? No idea meself, someone may know...?

Keith

PS very much doubt you'll see the line on the back of the gunsight when it's on the ceiling....!! :lol:

• Like 5

Wonderful attempt at the spinning prop Ced. I think the link that was sent with the scratched tri prop worked the best but it's never going to look great as Tony mentioned it's just too thin. The PE spinning props look awful though and your disc method is way better. Maybe a marriage of both static prop and disk? Paint a faded blurred prop on the disk and some how sand off or scratch a 3D prop and stick it onto the clear part? Actually I'm visualising  while typing and it looks rubbish.:huh: stick to a standard spinner kidda. Rockets and progress look great btw.

all the best. (Excuse the waffle). 

John.

• Like 3

The second spinning prop effect is definitely better although perhaps still a little dark. You have done a great job of getting rid of the canopy seam and the rocket fins look much better, although I'm inclined to agree with Keith that he wouldn't have engaged another aircraft still carrying the rockets.

keep up the good work.

John

• Like 1

Thanks Keith. I found this on aviationprints.com (next to the signature):

On 9th August 1952 Carmichael, flying his regular Sea Fury (WJ232), was leading a four aircraft formation to attack railway facilities in North Korea between Manchon and Pyongyang. While flying over Chinnampo they came under attack from MiG 15's diving down on them. Hoagy Carmichael later stated: "Eight MiGs came at us out of the sun. I did not see them at first, and my No. 4, 'Smoo' Ellis, gave a break when he noticed tracer streaming past his fuselage. We all turned towards the MiGs and commenced a 'scissors'. It soon became apparent that four MiGs were after each section of two Furies, but by continuing our break turns, we presented impossible targets. They made no attempt to bracket us. One MiG came at me head on. I saw his heavy tracer shells. I fired a burst, then he flashed past me. I believe Carl got some hits on him too. This aircraft then broke away, and went head on to my Nos 3 and 4, Lieutenant Pete Davies and 'Smoo' Ellis. They were seen to get good hits on one who broke away with smoke coming from him." Hoagy Carmichael in his Sea Fury became one of the few prop-driven aircraft to down a jet fighter and was the only British Pilot in a British aircraft to do so. For this action he was awarded the DSC. 

So it sounds as though it was 'a bit of a surprise'. Interesting to see the 'first British...' qualifications too. If they were targeting 'railway facilities' I would guess they had the rockets fitted but who knows? Given the problems with the rockets (see below) I might use this as an excuse to leave them off but I certainly can't be bothered / clever enough to remove the rockets from the racks! Too lazy!

Thanks Jont - I think, as you suggest, I'll forget about my efforts and just fit the prop as usual.

Thanks John - tending towards leaving the whole lot off, especially after this...

31335743480_a8fa476d51_z.jpg

The top two are perhaps acceptable but only because I'm looking at the straightness of the tail and not the 'orrible join. I've dobbed a spot of extra thin on the joins, straightened them out and left them to dry overnight like this:

30898632583_c16cfdd2fb_z.jpg

As we all know, when they're mounted together in close threes any SLIGHT mis-alignment will be blindingly obvious... I think I'll dry fit them later and, if they're not straight, leave them off. With all the stripe masking that's going to be needed they won't go on until the end in any case, but I'd like to fill the holes before priming if that's the way I'm going.

• Like 6

Canopy and rockets proceeding in the usual Cedulous* manner.

For trying to glue two straight bits together in line I find the 'splint' method works reliably Ced. A run of metal tube or rod of similar diameter can be taped temporarily to the glued parts to keep them aligned whilst setting. Using a metal splint avoids it becoming a permanent part of the assemblage.

There's a section here:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=4yFnDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA80&lpg=PA80&dq=train+busting+missions+korea&source=bl&ots=Q68JHURRg9&sig=37ndi6_l8ct_WWtT8Bg8ijDmUc0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjO7dymu_3QAhUqB8AKHS-cDnYQ6AEIIDAC#v=onepage&q=train busting missions korea&f=false

discussing railway interdiction in Korea: in the context of US tactics it mentions cannon, rocket, bomb, as tools of choice. Given that taking out the railway lines themselves - as much as buildings, bridges, rolling stock etc. - would have been an operational priority, I'd suggest rockets would have been a likely payload on such missions?

*Cedulous: to fettle, coax, or otherwise cajole physical materials admirably. From the French Cedere, as in the Norman greeting: 'Myne Lordyes hath girt his castle, cederic with thycke stone.' (trans.)

Tony

• Like 6

Thanks Tony, especially for "Cedulous" - hilarious! :rofl:

Metal splints - good idea, stored for future use...

Thanks also for the links which sent me off on some more researching...

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
HMAS SYDNEY GETS NEW PLANES FOR AUSTRALIA. 17 OCTOBER 1950, KING GEORGE V DOCK, GLASGOW. AIRCRAFT BEING EMBARKED ON THE AUSTRALIAN CARRIER SYDNEY BEFORE THE SHIP'S DEPARTURE FOR AUSTRALIA. THE AIRCRAFT WERE FIREFLY MARK VI AND SEA FURY MARK XI.. © IWM (A 31739)IWM Non Commercial Licence

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
HMAS SYDNEY IN ACTION OFF KOREA. OCTOBER 1951 TO JANUARY 1952. WITH THE AUSTRALIAN AIRCRAFT CARRIER HMAS SYDNEY IN KOREA.. © IWM (A 32000)IWM Non Commercial Licence

The first image shows that the holes seem to be there when the racks aren't fitted (although that might be just for transport) and the second shows that the fins are at 45o to the wings? All a bit academic after the dry fit (which required the holes to be drilled out a bit):

30875249214_f5f3aa2902_z.jpg

Pathetic. I think I might leave them off, fill the holes and just have a 'nice' model of a Sea Fury (with luck).

• Like 8

Good find on the action report Ced - I was too tired (read lazy!) to look before my waffling about whether they'd been carried or not. Having seen the result of all your work to tidy the things up though, I have to agree that Trumpy's efffort at them is indeed pathetic! I think I'd be tempted (!) to leave them off too - just say he loosed them all off at the first Mig he saw...!!

I do like Tony's Cedulous to describe your work, as it so often produces InCedulous results! (sorry - :coat: on, gone!)

Keith

• Like 3

Thanks Keith. I think I'll leave them off, especially as I remembered Tony / TheBaron / Baroness Mandy's (delete depending on season) Sea Venom. His beautiful rockets a ) have 'vertical fins' b ) are a different type but c ) look gorgeous and these are, what's the 'le mot juste', pants.

I may dither some more... perhaps I could use Giorgio's idea and rotate the fins with pins...

• Like 2

Interesting photos, Ced. RAN Sea Furies seem to pop up a lot. Presumably the Carmichael (and other) Sea Furies were still fitted with racks whether they were carryin rockets or not. I hope it doesn't sound too dog-in-the-manger or other such term of fun-spoiling to suggest cutting off the rockts and rails, and usng some rod or stretched sprue to replace the rails on the mounts?

Please pretend that you never even saw this post if you don't like my idea. Apart from the mounts being nabbed by the carpet monster, there are logistcal problems as bad as or worse than those god-awful rocket 'fins'.

:coat:,

Alex.

• Like 2

Ced, I think that the pins are the way to go if you want to use those rockets :shrug: 

OT: "Cedulos" is sheer genius :rofl:  But what about The Baron multiple identities? What have I missed/failed to understand? :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Alex, your idea added to pondering!

Thanks Giorgio. Tony is TheBaron's 'real' name and he's currently doing a Pantomime Dame act on his Barracuda thread. Weekends only?

Christmas tree moving and Mother-in-Law duties this afternoon. It'll give me a chance to come back refreshed!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

3 years ago we bought a chair for the Mother in law, she still has not plugged it in...

:rofl:  They should be declared illegal ... mother in laws, I mean :D:D 

Ciao

• Like 4

Here's the National Archives page for the MiG versus Sea Fury:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4844373

Not digitised yet, so someone would need to order it (£8.24 for them to look at it and give you a quote) or pop on over.

EDIT: I've paid my £8.24 and requested a quote for copying the document.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

The first image shows that the holes seem to be there when the racks aren't fitted (although that might be just for transport) and the second shows that the fins are at 45o to the wings? All a bit academic after the dry fit (which required the holes to be drilled out a bit):

The rocket rails have a spigot that goes into the hole and bolts up internally. If the rails aren't carried the holes remain open.

We put the rails on 647 but dont have any gardening implements to hang off them.

_5281818_zpssi1p3ssn.jpg

• Like 6