Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

Not to worry Joe, he had me going for a bit!

Bill I'm sure you'll be able to scratch some welded seams on your tanks - way within your ability old boy :) 

Next step - fit the cowling. Dry fit:

31677828145_3029cb4b47_n.jpg 30867892633_5b6de69742_n.jpg

That first shot is the 'naughty step' that Trumpeter ought to be made to sit on until they learn to behave themselves. The second shot shows that the seam on the cowling probably shows that the step underneath isn't all my fault. I therefore hatched a cunning plan that cannot fail to 'utilise' the gap by sticking the top and the bottom 'level'. This entailed fiddling with the exhausts (which I think are numbered wrongly so dry fit those against the fuselage) and glueing them to one half, then glueing the top and bottom against the fuselage:

31679624415_d799299f75_n.jpg 30869660173_9f859bd091_n.jpg

This left me with a gap, as expected, which got filled with PPP:

31642782056_89a4114c9d_n.jpg 31679806585_73dc53ed14_n.jpg

I'll let that dry before polishing it a bit. Out tonight so might not be until tomorrow.

• Like 14

Cunning solution for the cowling, Ced! :worthy: 

With a gap of that size I'd have probably used a plastic shim to fill it, but maybe the macro effect is magnifying it too much, and the shim would not fit :hmmm: 

Ciao

• Like 2

I have to say that this kits turning out to be a bit of a challenge  to say the least! I have been building old tool Aifix kits of late and the fit on those appears to be more manageable. Keep going though, you'll get there 😉 cheers Greg

• Like 1

Hi Joe - good defence!

Thanks Giorgio - good tip. Sadly this gap wasn't even all the way down...

While waiting for the filler to dry I thought I'd try something else. Something novel. Prompted by Michael's thread ( @Hirst89 ) on 'Propeller Blurs' here I thought 'Hmmm, that's a good point, all my models on the ceiling have 'frozen' props' and I did some research. To cut a long story short, the general opinion I have formed is:

• 'prop blur' where you can 'see the blades' occurs only in photographs
  • videos vary depending on the quality of the camera (frame rate?) Sometimes you see the blades, sometimes you don't
  • PE solutions are a bit expensive ($1 per blade, plus postage) and replicate blades frozen in photos
  • other sites suggests using acetate discs and DIY

Hold on to your hats boys!

Measure the prop with my circle cutter and cut out a disc (or two):

31310292860_988e40423f_n.jpg 31310339170_1fee11568b_n.jpg

This proved harder than I thought as the circle cutter didn't go through in one cut and subsequent attempts made additional cuts. Rats. Cutting a strip of acetate and rotating the sheet, rather than the cutter, worked better. I then cut a mask slightly smaller than the disc (can you guess why?) and used a cocktail stick to guide it onto the disc. Then on with some Tamiya smoke (you need a 'see through' finish):

31536845022_4726cf43c9_n.jpg 31310639500_6828e80ca3_n.jpg

Now, I don't have any clear yellow but we all know how well yellow doesn't cover. so I thinned the closest pot (aqueous) and sprayed it on:

31536982242_db84d40877_z.jpg

Disaster. I tried to wipe it off and spin it off but, basically, not a good attempt. It's drying now and you'll notice that the 'smoke' seems to be gathering too:

30872918133_5df45f1c71_z.jpg

I am called to dine now so will leave it overnight and we can all have another laugh in the morning.

• Like 14

Oh boy Ced, never fail to impress do you?

Re: circle cutting a time or two

Drill a small hole at the intended centre so the cutter never strays and you may be  bit happier with it

Just a small one mind...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

D'ya know Ced, almost all my flying was in prop driven thingies, & in the hours I spent looking out the windscreen (not always in mortal terror!) I don't really recall seeing 'prop blur', If anything it was just a darker circular patch of sky. On the few in-flight models I've built, if they had a spinner all I did was remove the blades & fill the holes in said spinner where the blades should protrude from, if it had just a prop hub, I just cut off the blades!  As in all things modelling, it is, of course, all down to personal preference, but to me (& maybe just me!) it looks far more effect than any way of showing 'blur' (especially those photo etched things which I find comically hideous & completely unrealistic!) 

Keith

PS Bill had me scrolling back through your pics to find the flash on the tanks too.....git !!

• Like 6

GIT?

Moi?

how very dare you?

:whistle:

I remember thinking on that first flight in a Chippy if I could see the prop I might have to get out of this comfy seat

18th March1962, how small we were once...

Almost fell out  of the 'chute harness walking from the 8AEF hut at Shawbury

ah I might have meant waddling from the...

• Like 7

My first flight was also in an AEF Chippy but I don't have my 8710 handy to see when and where....it certainly wasn't '62 as I was born in '63.......sorry!

Ian

• Like 4

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

(especially those photo etched things which I find comically hideous & completely unrealistic!) 

Quite a lot of photo-etched stuff is comically hideous and completely unrealistic - including but not restricted to control lever knobs, cabling/wiring and perfectly circular items rolled from flat sheet,  although the latter may just be user incompetence on my part. Not having seen the 'prop blur' PE - and after your comment, Keith, I'm not sure that I want to. On AFVs use of PE is probably a better bet, but I haven't actually built any AFVs except for a half-made Landrover 7 ambulance which doesn't count as 'armoured', being a 'soft-skin', since December 1971/early Jan 72. I've found that blobs of epoxy or paint on said flat control knobs (fnaar, fnaar, wibble) and cables/wiring help to plump up the PE a bit, but the 'prop blurs' sound beyond redemption.

I had a relatively recent flight in a friend's Chipmunk in 2010, never to be forgotten, even though I got dreadful air-sick (thankfully didn't bark all over the rear cockpit - just, 'twas a near thing). I want one of my own! But a. couldn't afford one, b. couldn't afford the avgas, c. couldn't afford to hangar and maintain her, and d. don't have a pilot's licence (and can't afford to get one). So I build static and flying models in lieu of all of the above.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- not photo-etch

• Like 6

On 12/15/2016 at 8:58 PM, CedB said:

Thanks Zac  for the additional info... chained in a hanger? Blasphemy!

http://www.goodreturns.co.nz/article/976486856/harts-anatomy-of-a-disaster.html

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1128

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/seizure-of-tax-frauds-boys-toys-wont-fly-20130403-2h7c0.html

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/3603/happened-impounded-aircraft

I thought I had seen photos, but I've no clue where...anyway, great work on the build!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

Called to dinner! Do you have a butler with a gong?

Perdu stirred a few happy memories for me with his mention of 8 AEF at Shawbury, my first flight there was about 1960 ( my god, I can't really be that old. ) I'm also one who just cuts off the blades to represent spinning props, but  well done you for going to all that trouble.

Cheers

John

• Like 5

Thanks Giorgio - cleaned up a bit to see if we like the effect (see below).

Thanks Bill - good tip, stored for later use (although I had spiked the acetate with the cutter's pin)

Thanks Rob - using your 'wet finger' technique and liking it (the technique, behave yourselves)

Thanks Keith - when I was learning to fly (ah, those were the days) I seem to remember, as you say, a darker, see-through disc where the prop was and some 'don't panic' instructions on what to do it it wasn't there and the noise stopped. I've forgotten most of it apart from 'trim for 70, call Mayday and look for a field the same colour as the one you took off from'. Flying from Andover / Salisbury this was green. Easy. Ahem. Thanks for the tips too - I'll try the 'spinner only' tip if the disc doesn't work out.

Bill, Ian, Alex and John I'm very envious of your Chippy flights. I was buzzed by one when doing naughty low-flying stuff over Salisbury plain with my ex-Army instructor and remember thinking, with its camo paint, it looked more like a 'proper' plane than the C150 I was flying. I bet he was making dagadaga noises.

John - no butler I'm afraid. :) Another 'spinner only' fan, thanks.

Zak thanks for the links - sad to read but there's a great picture of the Fury in the last link wearing '114 WJ232'. 

I cleaned up the disc last night and, this morning, stuck it on the model to see if the effect was any good:

31322651650_2813993cf1_z.jpg

At the moment it's categorised as 'interesting' but needs to be less dark. I think I might have one more go, clean the disc before painting, spray less smoke and try to apply the yellow with a brush while spinning the disc, perhaps in a tool...

What do you think?

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, CedB said:

What do you think?

Sea Fury having sex with Martian's Flugelrad.

I hate to be discouraging - least of all in one of your esteemed threads dearest  Ced - but I don't recall ever seeing an example of the disk-blur approach that looked, well, satisfactorily blur-like.

I think it's probably because the real thing is a cognitive effect of the human vision system, and trying to build a physical artifact to approximate that is an incredibly difficult proposition.

Baroness Mandy

• Like 5

What do I think?

Hmm

Not putting any kind of finer point to it

P a n t s

Better a spinner whizzing solo in my book, by far

That looks like a Sea Fury's ha...    well I'm sure you get the picture

As her Ladyship ( where the hell that came from????) succinctly states, those imitations ALL look like a cruel joke to me

Nothing works like having a mighty Centaurus bellowing away on your ceiling

So

Nothing works

Sorry my old bean

Still it passed away a few minutes of valuable modelling time

I do that too

;)

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

As her Ladyship ( where the hell that came from????)

Why, 'tis the pantomime season dear Bill, and I am your Fairy Godmother! (You can blame Martian for this festive gender re-assignment)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CedB said:

What do you think?

Sorry Ced. I'm with Bill - looks rather pants!

For one thing your 'prop disc' doesn't align with the gurt big 'oles in the spinner where the blades would attach to the hub....

It might (just might) look a bit better if you filled said gurt big 'oles in the spinner, because also at the moment it sort of looks like the prop is spinning whilst the spinner is sat still doing nowt....

TBH I think it'll spoil the look of what will otherwise no doubt be another lovely model!

Keith

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm very envious of your Chippy flights. I was buzzed by one when doing naughty low-flying stuff over Salisbury plain with my ex-Army instructor and remember thinking, with its camo paint, it looked more like a 'proper' plane than the C150 I was flying. I bet he was making dagadaga noises.

Similar thing happened to me on a qualifying cross country for my PPL - bumbling along minding my own business in the club's Fuji 200 heading south to Dunkeswell, I was humbled by a 'proper' aeroplane as a FRADU Hunter GA11 suddenly shot over the top of me, victory rolling away into the distance... bet he'd been making dagadaga noises too! 

Keith

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Why, 'tis the pantomime season dear Bill, and I am your Fairy Godmother! (You can blame Martian for this festive gender re-assignment)

I suppose I oughtta be Baron Hardupp then

Acos of I'm perpetually Hardupp.............   And Barren!

( snippetysnipsnip)

• Like 3

It's a good start Ced but needs a little refinement before you're satisfied I think. As to everyone else's opinion; it's your model, make it to your satisfaction, as the lads (or is it ladies on a Saturday!?!) have said nothing is going to look perfect but as we are building models rather than the real thing a good representation is the best we can strive for. Says Col who would like nothing much more than to have a real Sea Fury but should be tackling the kit examples in his stash :rolleyes:

• Like 4

I can't beat Keith's  Hunter experience, but whilst in the Ternhill area on a PPL cross country, a piston Provorst came to have a look at my Piper Colt, and a friend of mine, and fellow gliding instructor, once had a Harrier join him in a thermal!

John

PS I'm afraid I have to agree with the general consensus on the prop blur, sorry.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 2

Ced, in this case I (kindly) disagree with the others; :)   I think you should at least give it another try, with a less dark tone and airbrushing yellow with a fade effect. Tamiya paint comes to mind, to avoid any paint runhinged,  and having the disc spinning in some kind of tool sounds a great idea. Just my :2c:

PS: I also think you should blank out the spinner hubs, which would turn out to be useful  if you decide to have no spinner at all.

Ciao

• Like 3

Thanks Tony, Bill, Keith and John - votes against ("pants" counts)

Thanks Col and Giorgio - 'for' another try. I've sprayed the second disc with less 'smoke' and we'll have a look again when it's dry.

While it's drying I got on with the wings. For those who would build 'wings folded' here are a couple of shots of the bits you get in the kit (uncleaned):

31327788650_d54ab1666d_z.jpg

31327793410_6171ef6592_z.jpg

Others have had gaps in the wings and I can see why - 'standard fit' gives this dihedral:

31700733535_560232921c_z.jpg

Reference shots (not many face on) show this to be OK do we think?

hawker_sea_fury_fb_11_by_arejaye-d6i7m94

vr930%2008.JPG

I think it's also there in one diagram I have (but can't share) so the top of the wings have been glued:

31700727965_b4f22d86d5_z.jpg

If there are any desperate objections with better reference shots I can always break the join and try harder.

• Like 14