French VBL Armoured Car with MILAN

Mike

French VBL Armoured Car with MILAN

1:35 Hobby Boss via Creative Models

boxtop.jpg

The VBL is France's answer to the light armoured car, which was quite forward-looking, as it was designed in the 80s with mine protection as one of the prime requirements along with efficiency, 4-wheel drive, NBC and small arms resistance. It was also engineered to amphibious and although it is by no means quick in the water, it still crosses rivers better than a HUMVEE if the bridge is out! As it is light, it is both fuel efficient and capable of being air dropped into the field, which makes it a very useful vehicle.

Introduced in the 90s it has gone on to see service in many hot zones both in France's former colonies as well as with the UN banner on its doors. A surprising number of derivatives and variants have been created to fulfil different subsections of the light armoured car role, which is facilitated by a number of different body shells, plus a lengthened chassis. VBL stands for Véhicule Blindé Léger, which translates directly to light armoured car, and it is made in France by Panhard, a company with experience in this market and now owned by automotive giant Renault.

The Kit

This is almost a carbon copy of the initial release without the Milan fit, reviewed here in May of this year (2016).  The main difference apart from the boxtop artwork extends to one small sprue of parts, the small decal sheet, and of course the markings sheet.  In the box you get six sprues in an olive styrene, plus three separately moulded parts in the same colour, nestling inside a card divide with four "rubber" tyres, a small decal sheet, two identical clear sprues, and a simple Photo-Etch (PE) sheet. The instruction booklet is standard black & white fare, and the single sided colour and decal instruction sheet are on glossy paper.

hull.jpg

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue3.jpg

clear.jpg

pe.jpg

wheels.jpg

Construction follows the same path as the original with the notable exception of the MILAN Anti-Tank Guided Missile fitment on the rear roof of the vehicle, giving the lightly armed patrol vehicle the capability to take on armoured or hardened targets if the need arises.  The base straddles the rear of the vehicle and locates on a pair of moulded in pips, with the rotation point suspended above the roof to clear the top hatch.  The missile launch tube fits on top of a compact mount, which although small is well-detailed.  Three additional rounds are supplied for the interior of the vehicle, fitted within their launch tubes, which are discarded after firing to be replaced by a new one.  Also on the new sprue is a large container with rounded corners, the purpose of which isn't immediately obvious.

sprue1.jpg

Markings

There is only one markings option for this boxing, which is the more traditional NATO Green/Black/Earth scheme, and as usual with Hobby Boss you don't get to know any background information about the vehicle portrayed.  The decals are of good quality and should settle down well enough, and there are four decals including instrument binnacle to be applied to the driver's station.

decals.jpg

profiles.jpg

Conclusion

A nice simple variation on the original theme, which adds a little interest on the roofline.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2016 at 11:31 PM, luis pacheco said:

I´ve built one

Hi Luis,

I've worked with Portugese troops back in 98/99 in Bosnia and Kosovo.

I perfectly remember their V.100 and their old Panhard APC, but not the VBL, not too sure they were already equiped, at least not in Bosnia.

I see you left the MG aside, most foreign customer had a different one, what was it then for Portugal?

• Like 1

Looking at this picture looks like a Rheinmetall MG 3 (aka MG 42)

IMAG0013.JPG

Not sure if this was an Afghan fit as seen other pics of what appear to me .30 Cal brownings;

DSC01167.jpg

bd2496b63ec5b8da00ac982d32ee4a62.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Antoine said:

,I've worked with Portugese troops back in 98/99 in Bosnia and Kosovo.

I perfectly remember their V.100 and their old Panhard APC, but not the VBL, not too sure they were already equiped, at least not in Bosnia.

I see you left the MG aside, most foreign customer had a different one, what was it then for Portugal?

They first mission out of Portugal was in Kosovo on the early months of year 2000 I believe. 

Like Julien said the portuguese army uses two types of MG on their VBL´s.