This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

steve4536

Model overload.

23 posts in this topic

Currently, I have only completed one model and about 90% through another. What do the good people of this forum do when you start to get too many finished models and the missus starts complaining?

This is just for future reference on my part. :unsure:

Ah, not a situation that has occurred recently. But way back in the late(ish) 1980s my then wife said "put up a shelf in your modelling room, but don't put them in the living room!"

I have since upgraded wife and modelling space.

DennisTheBear

10 people like this

Stick them behind glass.....ie. a display cabinet and the call them a thing of beauty .......... and say they are just like you dear :clap2:

Actually my other half likes what I do so I'm quids in.   

Dick

2 people like this

Buy more kits :)

I use racking, so if I need more space then I see if I can adjust the vertical spacing to squeeze another shelf in !

Edited by IanHx
2 people like this

Get rid of the missus. :P You'll have more space and money for modelling.

2 people like this

Hi Steve,

cabinets can be very good, not just to display your models but as a pacifier for swmbo!   Another benefit is that models don't collect as much dust in a cabinet.

The two cabinets below were bought from LIDL a while ago.

Cabinets_model_room_1024.jpg

7 people like this

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Steve,

cabinets can be very good, not just to display your models but as a pacifier for swmbo!   Another benefit is that models don't collect as much dust in a cabinet.

These are a pair of cabinets that were on offer in LIDL a while ago.

Nice collection  - are they 1:144  ? 

Hmmm...

A difficult one as I ran out of space AGES ago - but I still keep building HUGE cars...

Luckily my infinitely better half likes what I do in my hidey-hole.

Roy.

P1011435_zpssxgse0fi.jpg

P1011434_zpswaqmyphl.jpg

P1011433_zps7vmtxkh1.jpg

P1011432_zpsxw34z68i.jpg

P1011430_zpscdxxrs23.jpg

P1011431_zpsy3ofye7m.jpg

P1011437_zpssx9zdins.jpg

P1012981_zpsxlwdwim3.jpg

5 people like this

6 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Nice collection  - are they 1:144  ? 

Hi Ian,

Yes, aircraft in the left cabinet are all 1:144 and the ships in the right cabinet are all 1:1200 scale ships.   These cabinets are deep enough to take a 1:48 scale Harrier model.

Mike

@roymattblack...wow what a collection of great models..looks like a glass cabinet is the way to go...as long as the trouble and strife doesn't see it in the living room. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Get a new missus.

Now there's an idea!!

1 person likes this

I am fortunate in that I am allowed to display my models in the lounge (what am I saying, "allowed"? it's our house!) as long as they are in cabinets.

Cabinets_lounge_1_1024.jpg

Cabinets_lounge_2_1024.jpg

I once had a wife who would say things like "you're not getting away with that in my house" but she used that phrase just once too often. <_<

Mike

5 people like this

11 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I am fortunate in that I am allowed to display my models in the lounge (what am I saying, "allowed"? it's our house!) as long as they are in cabinets.

I once had a wife who would say things like "you're not getting away with that in my house" but she used that phrase just once too often. <_<

Mike

That's a great collection you've got there Mike..At my current rate of build, I don't think i'll have a problem for some time. 

4 hours ago, steve4536 said:

What do the good people of this forum do when you start to get too many finished models

I'm gonna guess you mean "unfinished"?  If so, stop opening new boxes, and finish one.  Preferably the easiest one, and when you do that will give you the impetus to finish another, and so the virtuous circle begins ;)

The ones that I am particularly pleased with get their own individual display boxes and go onto a couple of shelves in the model space, others that I am pleased with go into a couple of Argos glass display cabinets. The ones I am not so pleased with? They often get put down to experience.

I don't have many individual display boxes, but I do have lots of experience! 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

am fortunate in that I am allowed to display my models in the lounge (what am I saying, "allowed"? it's our house!) as long as they are in cabinets.

Both those ships and the way you have em layed-out along those cabinets is terrific Mike.

9 hours ago, roymattblack said:

Hmmm...

A difficult one as I ran out of space AGES ago - but I still keep building HUGE cars...

Luckily my infinitely better half likes what I do in my hidey-hole.

Roy.

P1011432_zpsxw34z68i.jpg

Nice Gibson !

I keep a few in cupboards and on shelves but as I lose interest in completed models pretty much as soon as they are built, I have sold a few through Ebay but also have given a load away to teacher  friends who distribute them around the children in their schools - the kids love 'em...

I have a few in cabinets, but most these days get boxed up. The Bomber Command stuff comes out for the Sig displays, the others just sit in their boxes in the garage rafters. I might put it in my will that when I'm gone, I'd like the missus to have them all on display in the living room :lol:

2 people like this

48 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I have a few in cabinets, but most these days get boxed up. The Bomber Command stuff comes out for the Sig displays, the others just sit in their boxes in the garage rafters. I might put it in my will that when I'm gone, I'd like the missus to have them all on display in the living room :lol:

Thank you - still laughing!

1 person likes this

I didn't think I would be adding to this thread again..BUT>>

On closing down my PC last night...yes you guessed it *please do not turn off your computer..updates being installed*.

So, I open up PC today and find that a free app called Ccleaner no longer works, and a BT installed antivirus (McAfee, hardly a cheap bit of AV) is not compatible with this version of windows 10. What else am I going to discover with this latest version of rubbish foisted upon me?

I might go down the linux route next time i think.

PS I tried updating McAfee but windows10 still comes up with the same dialogue box.

zCfN0c3.jpg

Edited by steve4536

Run a restore point to get rid of the updates, then turn the updates off.   Oh, Errrr, you cant turn them off with Win10 can you?

1 person likes this