10th December 1941 - the loss of HMS Repulse & Prince of Wales

bootneck

75 years ago today, His Majesty's Ships Repulse and Prince of Wales were sunk by Japanese forces off the east coast of Malaya.  RIP to those brave men.

I visited the war grave at Singapore a couple of years ago and saw a few headstones marked as those from HMS Repulse.  I am not sure whether these men had survived, only to have died whilst interned as PoW's or not.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a ship models GB sometime?  We could be put in a corner somewhere to just get on with it, without disturbing the aircraft builders.

Mike

• Like 6

:poppy::poppy::poppy:                   :poppy:                   :poppy:

:poppy:               :poppy:               :poppy::poppy:        :poppy:

:poppy::poppy::poppy:                    :poppy:        :poppy::poppy:

:poppy:            :poppy:                   :poppy:                   :poppy:

Way before my time, so I never knew him, but my grandfather was a casualty on the Repulse.

Conscripted into the Navy 6 months before, and never heard from again - after the sinking.

I've built the Airfix Repulse kit twice, once for myself and again for my dad.

AirfixRepulse.jpg

And in recent years I've left a poppy Poppy  :poppy:  cross in his memory, at the Jet Age Remembrance Ceremony.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I wax saddened to learn recently that the wrecks of these two ships have been / are being plundered for scrap metal.  That's despite an international agreement that sicken warships are regarded as war graves.

A shame the countries nearest the wrecks - and others from other nations - don't enforce this.

• Like 2