Hotspot Middle East - 1946 to now GB @ 22

Basilisk

Looks like we will work our self through all the Aircraft manufactures over the next 20 years plus have STGB II to XX of the more popular aircraft types :hmmm:Unfortunately they are also not very inclusive GBs for our non aircraft building folks.

Seeing the 1918 - 2018 GB proposal is very refreshing, but I fear there will be limited interest when it comes to voting and also the topic had been covered two years ago with not too many participants.

So how about  "Hotspot Middle East expanded - 1946 to now"?

I came across this map of the region and I would say that these are the countries covered by this proposal:

Figure1-Map-of-the-Middle-East-and-North

I guess OPT is today's Israel which is certainly included as it is a major player in the region.

I know it does stretch the definition of Middle East a lot to the west and the east, but these countries too are lately a lot in the headlines when we talk about the Middle East. As suggested by wyverns 4, Ethiopia and Eritrea are now included too to join with Somalia and Djibouti. But this I think is as far south as this GB should go. And why not go a bit further east and also include India (as suggested by Grandboof) and Bangladesh!

Unfortunately lots of skirmishes happened and are still unfolding in this part of the world from the Suez crisis to the war in Syria with many other conflicts in between :(

But I like to see the term "Hotspot" not just relating to troubles, but also to the hot weather in the region - so civil topics are welcome too. :D

Just think about all the possibilities - there surely has to be something to build for ALL of us!

Maybe the Israeli GB and Afghanistan GB could be incorporated into this proposed GB if thepureness and Sgt.Squarehead think that is a good idea.

Anyone interested? Cheers Peter

Reached the half way mark! 15 more members to sign to get this topic into the voting:

1. Basilisk

2. wyverns4

3. Arniec

4. Jabba

5. modelling minion

6. Knight_Flyer

7. Grandboof

8. rob85

9. Sgt.Squarehead

10. Giorgio N

11. exdraken

12. TEMPESTMK5

13. vppelt68

14. Moggy

15. Caerbannog

16. Angus Tura

17. Wez

18. snapper_city

19. Corsairfoxfouruncl

20. CliffB

21. Dave_R

22. exdraken

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 2

Great idea! Count me in.

How about adding Ethiopia and Eritrea in as well, to join in Somalia and Djibouti?

Christian, exiled just a bit further to the South

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

Great idea! Count me in.

How about adding Ethiopia and Eritrea in as well, to join in Somalia and Djibouti?

Christian, exiled just a bit further to the South

I am glad you like the suggested topic. I amended the first post in regards to Ethiopia and Eritrea, which I agree does make sens to have them included as well.

I will start a list in case there is more interest in the topic.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2016 at 0:39 PM, Grandboof said:

I'm in How about including India with Pakistan 

Martin H

Why not, it does allow the coverage of some additional conflicts. But having Pakistan and India in the mix, I feel Bangladesh as former East Pakistan has to be included as well. But I think that is as far east as it should go.

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

I would be up for this one peter, nice subject choice

Rob

Thanks Rob and welcome aboard.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Yes!  :thumbsup:

Just bought a shiny new T-55 and here would be a good place to build it.  :coolio:

I've also got a few BTR-152s (Quite a surprising number for someone who allegedly doesn't do post-war stuff!  :blush:) in the stash and I'd love to do the Lebanese variant with a ZU-23-2 bolted to the top:

Soviet+BTR-152+07.jpg

https://thesovietarmourblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/21st-century-asian-arms-race-guest.html

• Like 2

Blame these:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=31&Itemid=80

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=242&Itemid=374

I actually suggested an Afghan GB, but this idea probaly has wider scope overall, certainly geographically, if perhaps not chronologically.  ;)

• Like 1

I'll be glad to support such a GB ! The countries shown in the map have interacted quite a lot and for this reason I feel that it's a good idea to put them together in the GB. That includes Ethiopia and Eritrea. On the other hand I personally feel that India has not really been part of the turmoil that has agitated the Middle East: India fought against Pakistan several times but never exploited its influence West, while Pakistan has been involved quite a lot in Middle East politics. Of course I'll leave any decision to the host.

This GB would cover some very current events and would also be one of those inclusive GBs that some feel are not well represented in 2017. It would also be a chance to see some unusual subjects, something I'm always in favour of

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

On 02/01/2017 at 6:45 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I actually suggested an Afghan GB, but this idea probaly has wider scope overall, certainly geographically, if perhaps not chronologically.  ;)

Yes, it is lacking the depth of time as it only starts in 1946 and not the stone age :) But I think most of the people who supported your proposal should be able to build something here as well.

On 07/01/2017 at 5:14 AM, Giorgio N said:

I'll be glad to support such a GB ! The countries shown in the map have interacted quite a lot and for this reason I feel that it's a good idea to put them together in the GB. That includes Ethiopia and Eritrea. On the other hand I personally feel that India has not really been part of the turmoil that has agitated the Middle East: India fought against Pakistan several times but never exploited its influence West, while Pakistan has been involved quite a lot in Middle East politics. Of course I'll leave any decision to the host.

This GB would cover some very current events and would also be one of those inclusive GBs that some feel are not well represented in 2017. It would also be a chance to see some unusual subjects, something I'm always in favour of

Well spoken Giorgio. You are certainly correct that the Pakistan / Indian conflicts are not really related to the events in the Middle East. But if more people are joining so they can make a model from from this part of the world, I see that as a positive and like to keep them in. Maybe a sub category for Pakistan / India are a way to separate them.

But more important, we need another 20 interested modellers to sign up to making it into the voting :unsure:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Please count me in   ..

Patrice

Thanks for joining Patrice.

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

The more I build my first jet aircraft models since 1985, the more I´m tempted to join one of these post-WW2 group builds - which means, please count me in! V-P

Glad to see that the temptation won ;)

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Moggy said:

I'm in. Have any number of aircraft relating to the region's multifarious wars.

It would be a good opportunity for a double Il-28 / Vautour build :)

Thanks for joining. A double build of an Il-28 and Vautour would be great

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Basilisk

Thank you for adding me to the list

Patrice

Your welcome

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1