1/16th Trumpeter Sd,Kfz. 186

Gremlin56

9 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Superb stuff, coming along nicely...:popcorn:, Happy Chritsmas Julian!!!

Hi Francis, thank you. A Merry Christmas to you and your family as well,

cheers,

Julian

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

Alot of ironmongerey in the bottom of that tank.................

Figures look great, I particularly like the pipe smoker, obviously having that Condor moment

At this scale I expect you'll be painting in nose & ear hair :tapedshut:

Kev

There is, the torsion bars take up a lot of room. By the time I get around to fitting the main gun you won't see very much of what has been fitted already.

The figures are quite good and the decals for all the badges, ribbons etc. will be a great help. I will actually be using an old hairy stick to supply the nose, ear and pubic hair.

Red sable brush of course, not synthetic :rolleyes::P

• Like 1

24/12 update.

Radio operator/MG gunner seat fitted, steering gear pedals etc. fitted on the drivers side. Decided to check if the problem with the road wheels Matt mentioned had been attended to by Trumpeter.

Kudos to Trumpeter, wheels fit perfectly. Rather amusing to see the weight slowly being divided over the torsion bars. The hull is now free floating on about half of the torsion bars:

DSCN4413.jpg

DSCN4414.jpg

DSCN4415.jpg

DSCN4411.jpg

DSCN4412.jpg

DSCN4416.jpg

DSCN4417.jpg

That will be all for today, wishing you all a very Merry Christmas,

cheers

Julian:cheers:

• Like 6

2612 update.

All the road wheels have been dry fitted. Soon to take them all off again for painting B)

DSCN4418.jpg

DSCN4420.jpg

A bit earlier in the build I mentioned what looked like rather skinny demolition charge holders on both sides of the driver's compartment. It seems that they are actually two spare MG barrel containers, see the photos below:

Spare MG barrel case

spare_MG_barrel_case.jpg

Demolition charge case

demolition_charge_case.jpg

I'll be removing the spare MG barrel case on the drivers side and will replace it with a demolition charge case I have left in the spares box.

Hope I am not causing any copyright issues by posting these two photos, if so let me know and I'll remove them.

:)

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Steady work Gremlin, wheels in motion you could say...

Simon.

"Wheels on fire, rolling down the road....................................................." yep, slow but steady Simon ;)

35 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

I take it from the reference material this is not going to be the usual Gun Hoe Gremlin type build  :book:  :popcorn:

Beefy

There is an amazing lack of documentation on the JT, or maybe I am just looking in the wrong places. The discrepancy in size of what I thought was a demolition charge case and the DP AFV demolition charge had me puzzled. Maybe a little more research than usual but when push comes to shove there are not many people interested in the difference between the 1942 Wehrmacht odometer or the 1944 style Luftwaffe odometer. Rivet counting harbors the joy of soundless orgasms......................................................B)

• Like 3

There is an amazing lack of documentation on the JT, or maybe I am just looking in the wrong places. 

I thought that there were a couple of these captured and have since been sent to Museums around the world I may be wrong on this info it has been known  :book:

You would think that someone would have some good source of information on this BIG Beast

Beefy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I thought that there were a couple of these captured and have since been sent to Museums around the world I may be wrong on this info it has been known  :book:

You would think that someone would have some good source of information on this BIG Beast

Beefy

There are several tanks around and I have bought a couple of reference books but the available photo's are not providing very juicy details, so as I said, maybe I don't have the correct material yet.

Meanwhile having a rather enjoyable build here.

• Like 2

Looking good so far on the JT build!

Just been looking through the box today as i couldn't resist:-) 

All looks very good to me and surprisingly quite different to the KT build after the Engine and Transmission are done. The warping on the large parts: Hull top and bottom is very evident indeed though. Definitely some clamping is required with gentle heat treatment.

I can see this on the front Glacis-plate edges (3 photos up) when the hull halves are pushed together. Definitely some inward bowing on the bottom halve.

Are you going to make the top hull removable?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silverstone 2 said:

Looking good so far on the JT build!

Just been looking through the box today as i couldn't resist:-) 

All looks very good to me and surprisingly quite different to the KT build after the Engine and Transmission are done. The warping on the large parts: Hull top and bottom is very evident indeed though. Definitely some clamping is required with gentle heat treatment.

I can see this on the front Glacis-plate edges (3 photos up) when the hull halves are pushed together. Definitely some inward bowing on the bottom halve.

Are you going to make the top hull removable?

Good morning Phil, thanks, yes, a very enjoyable and painless build so far. Most of what you see at the moment will disappear underneath shell storage and main gun though. I think the wisest approach would be to make the upper hull a fixed part and leave the engine covers, crew compartment cover and hull roof cover parts removable if that is possible. The warping is irritating but fixable.

Interior color is another :worms:: the insignia white looks very nice and clean but while reading MiG's "King Tiger visual modeling guide" I ran into his warning that quote: "one of the recurrent problems with restored museum exhibits, the interior color of this KT is inaccurate, as its similar to dunkelgelb when it should be cremeweiss with some sections in rotbraun" .

So, elfenbein or insignia white, I'll have to make that call very shortly.

• Like 2

Yes, know what you mean regarding the interior colour. I used MM interior buff for the KT build. But unfortunately MM is enamel but very good colour match. I'm making a move away from airbrushing enamels.

Vallejo Root Braun surface primer looks to be good for the primer colour used on Panzers. But trying to find a suitable acrylic counterpart for the Interior Buff (ivory)???

I'm open for suggestions on any ideas too.

Here are examples of the MM Root Braun & Interior Buff on my KT.....which come out satin which is very useful also.

IMG_7053_zpsjxxwcqri.jpg

IMG_7052_zpsljvqaldd.jpg

IMG_6712_zpsmz0mqopy.jpg

IMG_6710_zpsqepbdltk.jpg

Edited by Silverstone 2
  • Like 3

Your MM Interior Buff would appear to be the exact same color as Creme Weiss, trying to remember if it's AK or Ammo of MiG. Very nice work on the KT interior, looks gorgeous.

P.s. It's MiG's acrylic:

DSCN4428.jpg

Not my favorite acrylics but the colors are quite good.

• Like 1

29/12 update.

The barrel case has been replaced by a demolition charge case at the driver's position. Several stowage bins and protection plates have been fitted as has the floor escape hatch.

Firewall has been dry fitted. The engine compartment has been fitted out with two tanks that will completely disappear from view for ever more when the engine and filters have been fitted.

DSCN4426.jpg

DSCN4427.jpg

DSCN4423.jpg

DSCN4425.jpg

DSCN4421.jpg

DSCN4422.jpg

Wine time, cold and misty outside,

B)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

And Wine not Gremlin, after all she is looking great .

Simon.

Thank you very much Simon, rusty red lead................................. Chose the creme weiss instead of insignia white........seems to work better.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Caught up after a week or so Julian, nice work my friend, very nice work.

It's  going to be awesome once done :)

Im afraid it's going to 3 months before I can do anything with the models, I have no movement in the left arm at all :( 

Dan

52 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Looking sharp there Julian  :popcorn:

Beefy

Thanks Keith, as sharp as Adolph's hair parting :D

29 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Looking good in its factory finish..................

Kev

Amazingly clean isn't it, not weathered at all at the moment ^_^

8 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Caught up after a week or so Julian, nice work my friend, very nice work.

It's  going to be awesome once done :)

Im afraid it's going to 3 months before I can do anything with the models, I have no movement in the left arm at all :( 

Dan

Thanks Dan, not going to "like" your post because your news isn't good. Is this to do with your operation last Summer, a b****y bummer whatever the cause.

Really sorry to hear this.

6 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Don't feel sorry for him Julian, he thought he was superman and could flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

SPLATTTTTTT :rofl:

Kev 

No Love lost there then between you two  :hmmm:

Beefy

• Like 2