1/16th Trumpeter Sd,Kfz. 186

Gremlin56

Nice work on the shell cases, the metal cases look better.

The welding, something that thick would probably had to be heated up first, and possibly had beveled edges so the weld could be built up.

It would of been pretty agricultural to say the least.

I hope that this makes sense.

She is looking quite nice though.

Simon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on the shell cases, the metal cases look better.

The welding, something that thick would probably had to be heated up first, and possibly had beveled edges so the weld could be built up.

It would of been pretty agricultural to say the least.

I hope that this makes sense.

She is looking quite nice though.

Simon.

Makes complete sense Simon,would be rather difficult to weld plates this thick together IMHO. A lot of the photo's of rather badly trashed JT show complete plates blown out. Would this indicated that the weld joins were designed to hold the plates together but that the entire armor box obtained it's strength because the force was incoming, so really pushing the plates together, whilst an explosion from the inside could easily "push " the plates apart. Really, when I am not dazzling everyone with my brilliance I am baffling them with my bull :poop:.

How does this sound to the saner members of this forum?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, longshanks said:

Doh! I think you're probably right.............

:clif:

I meant you should have a go at welding.....:D

Kev

I know that hurt Kev ;) I will try welding though.

Thank you mate, don't quit the forum, I need you to help keep me sane ;)

10/3 update.

most of today spent spraying the fighting compartment in elfenbein. Adding hatches, optical hatches, well, all sorts of hatches. I think that several covers, and hatches can be removable after the build is complete allowing quite a lot of the interior to be visible. The upper hull will not be removable. Okay, snap time:

DSCN4685.jpg

DSCN4686.jpg

DSCN4687.jpg

DSCN4688.jpg

DSCN4692.jpg

DSCN4693.jpg

DSCN4695.jpg

:nerd:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Carius said:

Nice progress with the giant Hunting Tiger :popcorn:

Thanks Carius, it is a monster isn't it?

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Gremlin.

That second to last pic really shows ho big a beast it was .

I see there was Tony Hatch there LOL.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, it's like a small apartment now but I think it will appear very cramped when the main gun is installed. That is a huge chunk of hardware to shoehorn into the fighting compartment :gobsmacked:

11/3 update.

Hatches, Prisms, interior work and mudflaps. The fighting compartment roof is nearly finished, hatches and movable prisms, er, movable. The inside with extractor, anti personnel motor and hatch lock are fitted. The three fixed prisms are assembled and ready to be fitted. Forward fighting compartment has wiring added, stencils in place and some splashes of color added:

DSCN4696.jpg

DSCN4697.jpg

DSCN4698.jpg

DSCN4699.jpg

DSCN4700.jpg

DSCN4701.jpg

DSCN4702.jpg

DSCN4703.jpg

DSCN4704.jpg

:nerd:

• Like 7

On 12-3-2017 at 6:31 PM, Spookytooth said:

Very nice work Gremlin.

The weathered floors are just right IMHO.

You will have fun masking her up.

What are you going to use?

Newspaper??

Looking forward to next update as usual.

Simon.

The masking is still a long way off scope Simon, certainly not newspaper, more like a bucket of silly putty :D

23 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Shot 3, looks like a real vehicle inside...:popcorn:

Cheers Julian :D

Thanks Francis, glad you like it, I see too many warts on the build. Your mail is a great help though :yes:

23 hours ago, longshanks said:

Just love the effect as the interior comes together..........

Kev

Thanks Kev, heading towards the "earschplittenloudboomer" in the fighting compartment. Probably louder that a Motörhead concert

17/3 update.

I have been spending some time building the shells for the stowage bin. I have also been reworking the cut marks on the armour plates to give them all the same appearance.

Doesn't seem like much progress but the shells take some time:

DSCN4716.jpg

DSCN4717.jpg

DSCN4719.jpg

DSCN4721.jpg

DSCN4722.jpg

DSCN4723.jpg

DSCN4724.jpg

Cheers

;)

• Like 7

19/3 update.

Traverse base for the main gun ready for painting (gun could traverse 10 degrees to both sides). A ready rack is incorporated into the traverse base. First storage rack fitted to the fighting compartment. Some work being done on the spare track storage:

DSCN4727.jpg

DSCN4731.jpg

DSCN4732.jpg

The arrangement of the parts over the different sprues as thought up by Trumpeter is beginning to cause extreme irritation :angrysoapbox.sml::rant::badmood:

I get the impression that no one has considered grouping parts like WNW does, Trumpie seems to get it's jolly's by spreading the parts for a sub-build over as many sprues as possible. This is a pity because the JT model would be up there with the best except for this humongous blooper. Ok, rant over.

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

Nice work Gremlin, the cabin is certainly going to be cramped.

With the crew member shown in the last pic, it shows how big she is.

As for parts spread across the runners, I think we all have kits like it before and will still get.

A headache to say the least, especially on those kits which have a bigger parts count than the extra`s in Ben Hur.

Simon.

• Like 1