1/16th Trumpeter Sd,Kfz. 186

Gremlin56

Thanks Simon, despite the size of the JT it's not possible for the crew to stand up straight to service the main gun. I think it will look even more cramped when the storage racks etc. are fitted.

• Like 1

Hi Julian, lovely work on the JT,

Just a thought on the plate cutting marks (not welding marks) I am a fabricator welder by trade and still in the trade (started when as was 17 now 60) and how one gets those marks is a,  do not have enough heat, b dirty nozzle tip, this happens when you are traveling along and a piece of mill scale explodes and bits shoot up the nozzle tip, this then makes the marks you have made on your model, not sure if I would have all plates cut like this because it would really show you the person did not know how to cut, just a thought. 

Regards

Richard

• Like 2

I've withdrawn my application to join the crew ..............

@ 6'4 (1930mm to you foreign johnies!) with bad Knees, I don't believe this is quite the holiday camp I was lead to believe ...

and you keep adding allsorts of crap equipment to clutter the interior all be it in a tasteful way

:clap2:

Kev

22 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Hi Julian, lovely work on the JT,

Just a thought on the plate cutting marks (not welding marks) I am a fabricator welder by trade and still in the trade (started when as was 17 now 60) and how one gets those marks is a,  do not have enough heat, b dirty nozzle tip, this happens when you are traveling along and a piece of mill scale explodes and bits shoot up the nozzle tip, this then makes the marks you have made on your model, not sure if I would have all plates cut like this because it would really show you the person did not know how to cut, just a thought. 

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Appreciate the input on the cut marks.The cuts look suspiciously like the cut marks I made with a torch when cutting through chains etc. during anchor-handling operations when I was still at sea. You are spot on correct because I didn't really have any experience beforehand and after my time on anchor handling supply vessels ;)

I will be leaving the marks on the JT as they are because I think (hope) they will be less eye-pokingly prominent when painted and weathered and also because I am quite happy with the look.

On a different note here, I am not sure what the level of ability of the work force building the last ditch weapons of the 3rd Reich's weapons was. The input is appreciated though,

:D

• Like 1

21 hours ago, longshanks said:

I've withdrawn my application to join the crew ..............

@ 6'4 (1930mm to you foreign johnies!) with bad Knees, I don't believe this is quite the holiday camp I was lead to believe ...

and you keep adding allsorts of crap equipment to clutter the interior all be it in a tasteful way

:clap2:

Kev

Pft..............you mean you are giving up the free vacation in the JT MPV? With free Leberwurst and Schnapps? And the warm bunking spot near the engine compartment bulkhead on the tasteful waffle pattern metal floor plates? And you don't approve of the crap tasteful interior fittings you can lie under to avoid the rain and condensation drops? You are really a spoiled "Englander", I would say if I didn't know better that you originated from Cornwall but luckily I think I knows better ( I have an Auntie and Uncle in Cornwall, bad place except for Scrumpie and pasties) :yahoo:

• Like 1

Again excellent modelling ! The amount of well made details is really amazing, Julian.

That goes also for the weathering effects, nice Jeep by the way !

:worthy:

• Like 1

Hi Julian. Hope you are well. As usual, when I visit to check on your project, I always enjoy looking at the level and thought and attention to detail you put into your modelling. Stunning progress as always. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 22-3-2017 at 1:03 PM, BerndM said:

Again excellent modelling ! The amount of well made details is really amazing, Julian.

That goes also for the weathering effects, nice Jeep by the way !

:worthy:

Thank you very Bernd,

the weathering has started up inside, otherwise I won't be able to get at all the different odds and ends.

I still have to finish the jeep sometime along with the SAS Chevrolet I have in the stash, the Black Dog resin stowage is fantastic.

;)

On 22-3-2017 at 2:24 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Julian. Hope you are well. As usual, when I visit to check on your project, I always enjoy looking at the level and thought and attention to detail you put into your modelling. Stunning progress as always. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you very much Stix,

Considering your eye fro detail this is a big compliment,

:D

20 hours ago, Carius said:

Excellent progress Julian.

Thank you Carius,

getting there just like the tortoise: slow and steady

;)

• Like 1

23/3 update.

The base for the main gun fitted and weathering is started. Traverse mechanism under construction:

DSCN4733.jpg

DSCN4734.jpg

DSCN4737.jpg

DSCN4738.jpg

DSCN4740.jpg

All for now, hope to get some good time at the bench tomorrow :yahoo:

• Like 5

Well, a 128 mm cannon is going to need some heavy duty supports.

Actually at nigh on 10 tons a lot of support.

She is taking more of that shape now.

Simon.

Edited by Spookytooth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, a 123 mm cannon is going to need some heavy duty supports.

She is taking more of that shape now.

Simon.

Must have had one godawful recoil :suicide: Heavy duty? Hmm........................a Zappa song: think we have a name for the JT: Heavy Duty Judy :whistle::penguin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

What a beast, they would not remain deaf in shooting :lalala:?, of course the one that hit him ....:shoot:

Cheers Julian

I think that is part of the reason they wear earphones. Firing the main gun must have made a tremendous noise (or maybe they put parsley in their ears like the Romans in the Asterix and Obelix cartoons ;))

Hi Bernd, thanks. Believe me, it is heavy even in scale: the model comes in a huge and heavy box and nearly all the weight of plastic is slowly being concentrated in the build.

:elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant: just like elephants dancing on the workbench ;)

• Like 2

24/3 update.

Main gun mount painted. Some touching up and repairing done to other paintwork. Heavy Duty Judy is teething ;) Main gun assembled and ready for painting.

Whoot, that is a big artillery piece.

DSCN4741.jpg

DSCN4742.jpg

DSCN4743.jpg

DSCN4744.jpg

DSCN4745.jpg

DSCN4746.jpg

DSCN4747.jpg

DSCN4748.jpg

DSCN4749.jpg

I hope to add more tomorrow :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Ducking hell Gremlin, how big!!!!!!!

It`s a dangerous place inside one of these Jagtiger`s.

Not only the enemy but with the room to swing the proverbial hamster around in.

Let alone the other things that could go bang, like the recoil mech.

And the stench that must build up in there of things unmentionable on here.

She is looking great from this side of the screen Gremlin.

Simon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Ducking hell Gremlin, how big!!!!!!!

It`s a dangerous place inside one of these Jagtiger`s.

Not only the enemy but with the room to swing the proverbial hamster around in.

Let alone the other things that could go bang, like the recoil mech.

And the stench that must build up in there of things unmentionable on here.

She is looking great from this side of the screen Gremlin.

Simon.

That rhymes with "Clucking Bell" Simon,

yes, it is a rather small space that remains to load bloody heavy shells into a huge gun. I don't think you could swing a standard Wehrmacht issue mouse in there let alone a standard issue SS hamster.

There is a rather small looking extractor in the fighting compartment roof but i think it was more for smoke than nasty poo-like smells.

Coming together rapidly now though :penguin::penguin::penguin::whistle:

11 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thank you very much Mick,

welcome aboard ;)

:wow:that is mighty impressive Juilain  I would not liked to be on the other end of that when it went off, Germans did like to build their guns big eh. I wonder how many hours fabrication time did it take to build one of these beasts :hmmm:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks Richard,

according to Andrew Devey's JagdTiger bible 88 were built between February 1944 and May 1945 meaning that the envisioned production rate of 50 a month was never reached. Hitler also interfered with the project by diverting 52  of the available 12.8cm guns to be converted to field artillery pieces.

:smile: