What plane is this?

trickydicky210

Came across this image of Wrens preparing for a photo recognisance flight in a book on the RN, but can't make out the aircraft. Any ideas, thought it might be a Gladiator, but the wheel struts look wrong.

F6918262-6E16-4391-BA82-0324DDDC2C1B_zps

Mk III shark fitted with a glazed canopy and dual controls for crew training. Probably removable controls in the rear cockpit if going out to take photo's. Powered by an 800 hp (600 kW) Bristol Pegasus III radial piston engine rether than the original AW tiger engine .

Selwyn

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I've been trying to interest Jan of AZ models to do the Shark, I had one of the Frog  kits years ago, fitted with  floats it makes a fairly substantial model and has quite a large selection of possible marking options for such an obscure type

• Like 2

Spaddad, Hobby Terra has Eastern Express (Frog clone ) Blackburn Sharks for $US 13, if you are really wanting a kit. Hannants has them for British Pounds 10.

Edited by dalea
new info

4 hours ago, dalea said:

Spaddad, Hobby Terra has Eastern Express (Frog clone ) Blackburn Sharks for $US 13, if you are really wanting a kit. Hannants has them for British Pounds 10.

Hi dalea,

thanks for your input, the thing is the old Frog kit is a pretty clunky 60's/70's kit which doesn't mean I wouldn't build it ( I am pretty easily pleased) but it would be nice to have a 21st century product & a new kit would probably result in at least one new decal sheet.

• Like 1

I have several Frog Sharks and Aeroclub replacement engines for then.  Not a bad kit but dated now and, unusually for Frog, mine  all seem to suffer from Curly Strut Syndrome.  So Spaddad please continue in your efforts to persuade Jan that a new Shark is what the world is really waiting for: must surely turn out to sell even better than some of the obscure subjects already covered.  Apart from FAA fans, it would also delight Canadians, (for whom it was quite an important type, esp in the early days) and not a few Portuguese.  NB not providing a TT.III option (ie with canopy) would be a real missed opportunity.

PS Rich: would also be v interested to know what the book is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I have several Frog Sharks and Aeroclub replacement engines for then.  Not a bad kit but dated now and, unusually for Frog, mine  all seem to suffer from Curly Strut Syndrome.  So Spaddad please continue in your efforts to persuade Jan that a new Shark is what the world is really waiting for: must surely turn out to sell even better than some of the obscure subjects already covered.  Apart from FAA fans, it would also delight Canadians, (for whom it was quite an important type, esp in the early days) and not a few Portuguese.  NB not providing a TT.III option (ie with canopy) would be a real missed opportunity.

PS Rich: would also be v interested to know what the book is.

Get over to the KP/AZ central discussion thread and add your voice to the appeal, AZ are one manufacturer who seem to respond to appeals for kits.

I have just realized, that machine on photo has roundel "C" - so it is mid 1942 or newer. I though that Shark, even Mk III were phased out that time. Always something new :).

And TT painting scheme is temptating

shark-c3.jpg

Cheers

J-W 

• Like 1

According to Sturtivant's FAA Squadrons, 755 Sq used Sharks at Lee-on-Solent until Oct 1943, though spares were a problem from July 41 onwards.  Suspect (by comparison with a photo in same book showing L2359 F of that unit) that is where the photo was taken.

Edited by Seahawk
To add location.
  • Like 2