Pictures of SR-71 with red, PINK, and blue insignia?

PIPboy

6 minutes ago, RichardPrice said:

I would disagree with this because it ignores the fact that the F-117 is *specifically* designed to reflect EM in given ways, and the faceted design used would reflect sound away from its source just as well.

The issue isn't simply curves and angled surfaces, its curves and angled surfaces designed in a specific way - you cant just daub EM absorbing paint on a normal airliners fuselage and expect a significant reduction in radar return simply because its curved, because it doesn't work like that, the curves and angles have to be designed to direct the return away from the source.

So it would not surprise me at all if any creature using echo location would have difficulty around the F-117...

Ah yes now we are in to the releams of waveguides and the methods of minimising by design returns or enhancing returns mechanically using kit such as luneberg lens ....which the F35 has and the wasp had!!

I mentioned it on a wasp thread .....this is so cool😄

Ok so I can't drop this even though it's a bit of topic.

Jessica was right in that even though not on the EM spectrum sound has wave properties.

So sound waves bounce off objects at angles relative to which they hit the object.

Therefore it won't be that which kills bats since caves are not of an homogenous shape ....caving is one of my mad pastimes:huh:.

However as I said earlier RAM absorbs or atenuates radar signals because of it's texture.

Thus a sound wave hits the RAM surface which is specifically textured and the resultant wave is broken up giving a smaller and thus confused signal ....so bats are either confused by mix of sound waves or it is weakened displaying the appearance of being further away.

Same for the echo location range finder on the camera.

Well that's my theory sorry if I've banged on too much

• Like 1

The Skunk Works people came up with the theory/conclusion that Bats, like radar and Polaroid Cameras, couldn't see it. I can't find my copy of the book, searched everywhere, saw it 3 weeks ago ish looking for something else. I made a mental note where it was (before this thread started) to read it again. No idea where it was or what I was looking for at the time. Its really doing my head in. I'm away form home 'til January now so it will have to wait !

I had the opportunity to measure-up some of the aircraft at Duxford recently, using various tools, including the type of laser range-finder that estate agents use to measure rooms.

The device worked fine for the B-52, F-111, T-33 etc. but not the SR-71 or U-2.

It just couldn't 'see' them !

Had to give up and use a surveyor's tape-measure !

• Like 2