Airfix B-25 C/D 1/72 Released

sofiane1718

4 minutes ago, jea-baptiste said:

Hello,

Someone would have a release date?

Thanks in advance,

JB

It's thought that Airfix may have an announcement about 2017's release plans on 4th Jan, I hope we will find out then.

5 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Not a lot of space available for ballast to prevent a tail sitter.

Stick it in the nose gear well. The door is normally closed, even with the gear down, so you won't see the weight. Hopefully there will also be the option of a solid nosed B-25G.

Edited by VMA131Marine

Yup, this and the Phantom are going to be must buys for me. A PBJ-1C looks like it'll be on the horizon at some point!

Mike.

Edited by MikeR

33 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Not a lot of space available for ballast to prevent a tail sitter.

Could try putting some ballast in the engine nacelles. As long as all ballast is forward of the main undercarriage it should work. Worked ok on my Airfix B-26

Allan

• Like 1

What fascinates me is the flaps: these were not usually left extended while on the ground and Airfix don't usually make them separate.

Two years ago I tried to modify my Hasegawa B-25 to accept CMK resin control surfaces including flaps. The instructions were scant to say the least and a posting here on BM produced interesting feedback.  This included a link (alas now deleted) of how they operate.  As I recall, for Take Off they slide back and drop a little, for Landing back a bit more? but definitely dropped more.  From some angles, while landing, daylight can be seen between the wing and flap

Now I know that the Airfix CAD renderings are only preliminary but it's unclear what they seek to represent and how to do so.

For my part I've abandoned the attempt, partly because the thickness of the plastic makes accurate representation impossible and partly because they're not often seen deployed while stationary.  If they were, then it would be in the landing configuration: there'd be little point retracting them only as far as take off position.  Moreover in situations like North Africa, good airmanship would require them to be retracted immediately on landing and not deployed till just before take off to prevent damage from thrown up stones etc.

Of course it's just possible that they plan a future '?Limited Edition?' with early style cowling\exhaust, flaps deployed for Take Off, Dolittle markings and perhaps even a small portion of Hornet deck.  Now that really would be something!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great photograph.. 

Close inspection around the rear fuselage, just aft of the inboard wing trailing edge would suggest that a number of versions (including late B-25D's with clear waste gun positions) may also be an option with this new Airfix kit. It will be interesting to see the sprues, however so far the signs are great. RAAF fans will rejoice this addition! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sprue shots revealed:

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/new-b-25-mitchell-prepares-for-take-off

Interestingly, very specifically a C/D - no obvious provision for a G or a PJB-1. The side windows are interesting as they may enable a later version with bulged side windows, but also make masking easier!

(Thinks - did late C/Ds have the gun turret moved forward and the tail gun fitted, or was that just PBJ-1D?))

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Excellent. I especially like how they've done the cockpit glazing.

But I really don't care for the two decal options offered. I was hoping to do a more representative MTO B-25 and the artwork on 'Desert Warrior' is a bit over the top for me, although I'm assuming the map and starboard tally was only added for the war bond tour in the States, so could be left off?

Anyway, as I'll only be wanting to build one Mitchell I'll probably now wait for the RAF boxing that must be following.

Well done Airfix, though. It looks like a really great kit.

• Like 1

Sprues look good from what I can see. The clear parts are interesting as Airfix include two types of canopy and nose glazing. I suspect that a late model 'H/J' is planned although I'm not sure if the top turrets differed between the early and late marks - I suspect they did. I'm not convinced that the side fuse cut-out behind the wing is high enough for the late B-25D-30 side blisters. I hope so, however first impressions are that they should be a little higher up the fuse. 

Anyway - I'll buy this kit to make a 2 Group Mitchell II and purchase a set of DK decals to go with it. The box art IMO is not up there with Airfix's best, however as someone once mentioned - you build the kit, not the box!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

LOOKS 

14 hours ago, IanC said:

Excellent. I especially like how they've done the cockpit glazing.

But I really don't care for the two decal options offered. I was hoping to do a more representative MTO B-25 and the artwork on 'Desert Warrior' is a bit over the top for me, although I'm assuming the map and starboard tally was only added for the war bond tour in the States, so could be left off?

Anyway, as I'll only be wanting to build one Mitchell I'll probably now wait for the RAF boxing that must be following.

Well done Airfix, though. It looks like a really great kit.

Agree fully, and thers not even on the xtradecal sheet thats gets my attention, so another waiting for the 2nd issue 

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I don't fancy either of the kit options so I too will be looking for a couple of interesting RAF aircraft (sorry Xtradecal; none of your choices float my boat).  I rather suspect that one will be wearing invasion stripes.

Do these float your boat?