Airfix B-25 C/D 1/72 Released

sofiane1718

Didn't saw a topic for this:

A little teaser for you...

This chap helped us out immensely during a recent research visit - what could we have been measuring? Keep your eyes peeled, you never know when or where the next announcement will pop up!

Airfix teaser

800px-B-25_Mitchel_02.JPG

15541362_10154029821661837_8196797436152250592_n.jpg

Edited by sofiane1718
  • Like 3

1/72th or 1/48th would be good.  The Accurate Miniatures kits are good, but even Italeri boxings of them are almost as rare as hens' teeth.  If a certan, well-known kit manufacturer from Margate is planning to replicate the B-25 they do have a hard act to follow, and I'd love it if they did.

• Like 2

Frankly spoken:
Whatever scale a new tooled Mitchell will be released - it might be a bestseller from the start!
Accurate/Italeri´s B-25 is really a wonderful kit - but it is never a bad thing to have another one to choose from...

A decent B-25 in 72nd scale would be perfect - and if it will get the "Airfix treatment" then it will even be possible for me with two left hands and no idea about modelling whatsoever to finish one!

Michael

• Like 1

I said a few weeks back I had the gut feeling a b-25 was coming in 2017, hopeing its in my scale, but my gut is suggesting its will be 1/48, though my head suggests thats unlikely for a number of reasons, so I think its 1/72, do have a gut feeling we will see a 1/48 twin if not next year the year after, which will be the beau upscaled  

Would prefer 72nd. I really can,t see Airfix doing this in 48th. If it is coming, then it will be a companion for the B-17. A B-24 would be another .  Whatever types,they will appease U.S. modeller .....

.and Airfix.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Der Lingener said:

Frankly spoken:
Whatever scale a new tooled Mitchell will be released - it might be a bestseller from the start!
Accurate/Italeri´s B-25 is really a wonderful kit - but it is never a bad thing to have another one to choose from...

A decent B-25 in 72nd scale would be perfect - and if it will get the "Airfix treatment" then it will even be possible for me with two left hands and no idea about modelling whatsoever to finish one!

Michael

What's wrong with the Hasegawa kit and it's Revell re-boxing?

thanks

Mike

3 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Nothing, Mike - absolutely nothing.
But in Overloon (where the Airfix-LIDAR-team obviuosely was!) they have a B-25D. And Hase/Revell is a B-25 H/J.
So I assumed it will be a D-verson.

But, frankly, this is only "educated guesswork" ...

Michael

• Like 1

I got my last Hasegawa B-25 for £12 at the Bolton show a few years back, so you can get bargains sometimes! The Hasegawa one is in stock at the big H, so isn't hard to find but I see the Revell rebox is more difficult, I saw one cheeky monkey selling it for almost Hasegawa money for a 2nd hand one, which had a price tag of almost half the asking price!. I can't see a new Airfix B-25 being that cheap though, I reckon it would be a £25 series 6 kit,

What I do agree on is that a different model from the J or H would be nice, I've got the H and the solid nose J, so I wouldn't mind a glazed nose one for the right price! Also a B-25 would make sense for Airfix given they made one years ago and it would sell well for them. Mind you, Airfix could sell polished turds and some people would still buy them! My recent building experiences with Airfix kits however, would make me lean towards another Hasegawa B-25 first!

thanks

Mike

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mikemx said:

My recent building experiences with Airfix kits however, would make me lean towards another Hasegawa B-25 first!

Ok: Compared to Hasemiya-kits nearly everything else will loose!

But me for one - I DO like these new Airfix kits. I recently built their Quarterscale P-40B for a "75 years Pearl Harbour" commemorative article on Kitreviewsonline and I am about to start their new 72nd B-17G ... and it looks stunning in the box.

It may not be up to Hasemiya standards - so what?

As long as these new kits are fun to build and give me some entertaining time at the modelling bench I am absolutely satisfied.

Michael

• Like 1

Skilful Airfix marketing and knowledge of other companies products and prices would see this 'potential' release as a B-25B/C/D/G version in 1/72 scale. 

The Accurate minitures 1/48 kit is still too good to need replacing at this stage and many modellers have built it and also possess it within their stashes. 

1/72 modellers however have been waiting for an Italeri replacement since Jesus played Full Back for South Jerusalem!! 

Both my heart and brain agree (for once!) that should a new B-25 be kitted in 2017 it will be in the gentlemans scale, finally killing off the original rivet monster Airfix produced in the mid sixties. 

Cheers.... Dave

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Mikemx said:

thanks

Mike

I'll pop out the standard line.... they make no money for Airfix, and a decent B-25 is sure to be a good seller both sides of the pond.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airgunner said:

I'll pop out the standard line.... they make no money for Airfix, and a decent B-25 is sure to be a good seller both sides of the pond.

Although this often repeated quote always has merit, the mere fact that Airfix will be pitching themselves against (what some will always consider) a superior product would leave me a tad nervous.. and yes I do realise that no one has seen the Airfix moulds yet!!! 

Best to be compared to Italeri's faithful early Mitchell that has raised panel lines and certain curable inaccuracies. 

I'd be gob smacked if we saw another late H/J model in 1/72.. but stranger things have happened.

Cheers..  Dave 

I`d love a brand new `early variant' Mitchell from Airfix in 1/72nd scale,.......superb choice of kit and loads and loads of decal options for Commonwealth Air Forces, ie RAF, RAAF, RCAF and then Free Dutch, Free French and Free Polish (briefly!),...... before you even start on the American ones!! 

Good effort,

Tony

Edit,.....I had a post war Dutch Navy one planned using the Italeri kit,.....but I might just wait now!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 3

I think the Academy 1/48th Mitchell is a re-release of someone's kit as well, so don't forget get that it's up against that too. However, from very recent experience of building that particular kit, if Airfix do one that improves the fit, especially around the engines and the top fuselage seam, they will win me over in a heartbeat.

They could also do worse than copy the Academy kits breakdown of the nose, which gives you the glass nose and the stub nose version in one box

Cheers 

Les

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Although this often repeated quote always has merit, the mere fact that Airfix will be pitching themselves against (what some will always consider) a superior product would leave me a tad nervous.. and yes I do realise that no one has seen the Airfix moulds yet!!! 

Best to be compared to Italeri's faithful early Mitchell that has raised panel lines and certain curable inaccuracies. 

I'd be gob smacked if we saw another late H/J model in 1/72.. but stranger things have happened.

Cheers..  Dave 

Did they get access to the B-25J at Duxford during the big renovation of the American Air Museum??

One can only hope they measured up the B-24 and B-29 too

Are there any B-26 Marauders or A-26 Invaders in the UK? You would think that both of those would have to be on the Airfix new tool hit list at some point; though the A-26 ought to have priority. I'm still surprised that Airfix haven’t done a new 1/72 Mosquito yet. That has to be coming soon.

• Like 2

There are no complete Invaders or Marauders in the UK AFAIK.  The instruction at the end of the war in Europe was for B-26s to be ferried to a specific airfield where they were blown up and the remains subsequently scrapped.  The process was so thorough that items "liberated" from the aeroplanes had to be reinstated before they were destroyed, e,g, cockpit clocks which would have looked great on the mantelpiece or side table.  The last Invader that I can remember in the UK was the one that crashed during a display at Biggin Hill in the early/mid eighties.  There could be one in the AAM at Duxford but I'm a long way from certain that there is.

if Airfix do a new Mitchell kit a B, C or J would be favourite for the reasons already given by Tonyot: affordability and lack of availability of the Hasegawa/Revell kits in the UK   The new Victor shows that Airfix consider possible variations at an early stage: provision has been made for variants with free-fall weapons, both conventional and buckets of instant sunshine, and tankers so we shouldn't be surprised if a multi-variant Mitchell does appear, but I would expect it in 2018 rather than '17 due to lead time from initial survey and project approval.  I know that there are a lot of differences between Mitchell variants but intelligent sprue design, I.e. fuselage and cowling parts on their own sprues or on sprues with a minimum number of potentially redundant parts, could be one way to go.

• Like 1

Agree absolutely.  However I'd expect a longer lead time before further variants appeared.  Sales of the original would have to be positive (a year ?) with tooling and other works taking maybe 6 months.

Presuming that Airfix do an early aircraft with the aft mounted dorsal turret, I would expect to see glass-nosed Bs and Cs and the solid nosed G at least. That would still leave the potential for lots of options with nose gun packs and plenty of colour schemes.

• Like 1