Airfix Stuka Ju87R2 & Gladiator Dogfight Double - additional parts!

Uncle Dick

I read with interest a previous Airfix work bench where they said regarding their 1/72 Stuka R2 & Gladiator Dogfight Double release that:

"It  also includes additional parts to allow the R-2 version of the Stuka to be modelled - this set will be the only kit to include this particular version."

What are the additional parts included for the Stuka Ju87 R-2 by Airfix only to be found in their Dogfight Double release ?

Thanks chaps,

Finally got the sprue today and you are quite right different engine cowling and exhausts than the B-1, and the propeller blades are much broader in width and look to be much flatter in appearance than the B-1 by Airfix - should this be correct?

Nice decals too

Edited by Uncle Dick

It seems a bit weird that Airfix are limiting themselves by making the B/R-2 parts only available in this boxing. 

Then again,I don't work at their marketing department... 

Cheers,

Andre

3 hours ago, Hook said:

It seems a bit weird that Airfix are limiting themselves by making the B/R-2 parts only available in this boxing. 

Then again,I don't work at their marketing department... 

I agree.  It may be that Airfix are merely saying that this will be the only boxing of the R-2 variant.  Not to offer a boxing of the best-known variant, the B-2, would be a major open goal missed.  I'm sure there are many modellers who would want shed loads of Stuka B-2s without the side orders of more Gladiators.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

I agree - they could have made it more interesting for the Gladiator fans as well in this release (with the Stuka R2 exclusive parts), by having exclusive parts for a Sea Gladiator! Namely 3 bladed prop, hook and any other parts required + decals, and since we are on the topic of exclusive parts; a pair of luckless downed Stuka crew figures in 2 different poses in a dinghy as an extra treat for the modeller. 

And for purely marketing (a bit like the extra treat in the Kellogs Corn Flakes of days old) purposes 1/5 of all the kit boxes to have a downed Sea Gladiator pilot in a dinghy instead of the hapless downed Stuka crew and dingy! With the pilot figures and dinghies being correct for each respective aircraft type - no skimping on accuracy!  And 1/20 kit boxes having the ultra exclusive  Regia Aeronautica decals and crew with dinghy.

Wrong scale and service but something like this - go on Airfix you know you want to!

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Edited by Uncle Dick

I'd be very surprised if a single boxing of a B-2 didn't eventuate next year.

Note the post above - that's a 1/35 scale (!!!) Verlinden box - look what happened to them.

A good reason for Airfix to stay away from ultra-niche marketing (and the resultant ultra-high costs).

no skimping on accuracy! 

Okay, 60% of boxes have downed RA crew, 20% Gladiator, 20% Stuka (:>)

• Like 1

No problems - Airfix can include a pair of Sharks as well Tiger, Great White? with decals!

Okay, 60% of boxes have downed RA crew, 20% Gladiator, 20% Stuka (:>)

And the super rare 1 in 100 boxing with the sole Stuka supplied to Japan (not sure of variant though) and Chinese Nationalist Gladiator!

27 minutes ago, Uncle Dick said:

And the super rare 1 in 100 boxing with the sole Stuka supplied to Japan (not sure of variant though)

That was a Ju 87A - considerably different from a Ju 87B. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Yes it did.  This was a significant advance because it was a two-position prop.  I don't think it's quite clear how many of the Malta Glads got the replacement engine:  it is usually linked to the one that had the two guns fitted under the upper wing (a standard Sea Gladiator option, but not otherwise used AFIAK).  This has been claimed to be Charity and almost immediately destroyed on the ground in an air raid, but the exact truth of this combination remains somewhat murky.

However I think the comparison made in the earlier post was to the alternative 3-blade prop that was regularly fitted to Gladiators, with was a Fairey fixed-pitch unit..

Initially yes, but pilots on Eagle preferred the two-blader, so I wasn't sure from memory which was on the ones in the crates.  Mason's old Monogram Monograph spent a fair bit of time discussing the trials that went into choosing the prop: it became a matter of top speed vs climb/take-off distance, IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

Well chaps - Airfix have done the unthinkable... gone and told (written actually) a porky they have!

Is not the R2 the same as the B2?

Happy Birthday Work Bench dated 15/7/2016 stated

This particularly interesting Dogfight Doubles Gift Set includes additional parts to allow the construction of an R-2 version of the Stuka and will be the only kit in the range to offer the modeller this version of the aircraft. Certain to be a popular addition to the range, A50179 is scheduled for release at the end of September, but please check the Airfix website for the latest information as this date approaches.

You will never guess whats coming in their 2017 line up that was just announced!

And look they did come out with Regia Aeronautica markings eventually - just not in the dogfight double!

Edited by Uncle Dick