Hobby milling machine

S5 modeller

Hi chaps.

I find myself in need of a bench top milling machine. 

A lot of them are out of my price range, but I've found these on ebay...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Milling-Machine-DIY-Machinery-Power-Tool-for-Student-Hobby-Model-Making-/151574997211?hash=item234a92e8db%3Ag%3AdGIAAOSw5ZBWQauv&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac21a3d50-bcb9-11e6-9773-74dbd1809561%7Cparentrq%3Adaec4d961580a357f24c7fd5ffe01fbe%7Ciid%3A1

_3.jpg

Has anyone had any experience of these?

They can be had for as little as £53 plus postage. 

Don't want to buy one if it's no good.

I just want it to mill styrene sheet/blocks and some lightweight aluminium. 

Matt

This is a typical Shenzen Item. Expect it to be as cheaply built as can be. Not necessarily wobbly, but for sure out of alignment and difficult to handle. Making china-machines good working solutions is usually a huge project in itself. Do not expect them to work out of box. If you do have some metal workshop experience and electrical experience it could be handled. If you don't I would suggest to stay away.

I do not see any way to change speed. This is a problem, as you need to adapt the cutting speed to material and tool to get good quality surfaces.

The handwheels need to be exchanged. They screem rubbish even in the pictures.

The belt needs a housing for safety reasons. A finger in that belt and its gone. The finger, not the belt.

Don't expect highest accuracy, even after tuning. I wouldn't work aluminum with this, the structure isn't strong enough to do so. With wood and plastics you shouldn't see problems, but still, this is not a quality tool. You might get the accuracy down to some 1/10mm, but probably not better. Should be enough for modeling though.

Consider putting at least about 3 to 4 times the price into making it workable. If you know what you are doing. But if you did, you probably wouldn't ask. So I would recommend a little Proxxon milling machine, maybe the MF 70. These are extremely small, but on the budget you get a precision tool compared to this china one. What's more important: They work out of box and are good to handle with the possibility of getting spare parts. The working area might be very small, take care of that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Consider putting at least about 3 to 4 times the price into making it workable. If you know what you are doing. But if you did, you probably wouldn't ask. So I would recommend a little Proxxon milling machine, maybe the MF 70. These are extremely small, but on the budget you get a precision tool compared to this china one. What's more important: They work out of box and are good to handle with the possibility of getting spare parts. The working area might be very small, take care of that.

I've several Proxxon machines including the MF70 and can recommend it whole heartedly. What you do need to consider is the size of what you're trying to mill and then add at least 10 mm all round (to give you something to grip) and from that work out what working dimensions you need the miller to cope with.

I can honestly say that looks like the cheapest & tackiest  machine tool ( I use that term loosely ) that I have ever seen, I think the slide wheels sum it up! and as for the open pulley drive, just waiting for fingers, hair etc b.