Kallisti in 2016 - how ridiculous could it get?

Kallisti

Ridiculous I hear you ask? Well its turning into my speciality, scratch building ridiculous bar armour, gigantic Thunderbird 2s and so on, so this year continues that general them and extends the them to breaking point... more of that later...

The year started in December (!!) with my Spitfire build in tribute to Edgar Brookes which was eventually finished in January. I added the Standard Tilly from my earlier BoB build to make a more interesting setting for this Spitfire Vb from 122 Sqn, based at South Detling in Feb 1942, which is also part of the long term "Aircraft my Father fixed" project, more of which can be seen here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926820-long-term-project-the-aircraft-of-my-father/

DSC_5047.JPG

DSC_5050.JPG

(Build thread here

Next was a rush job as in the last week of January my pre-ordered Round 2/MPC 22" Eagle Transporter arrived - as far as I can tellt he first retail kit to arrive in the country! I'd actually finished the kit before the shipment to Timeless Hobbies had arrived :) I was also on a deadline to get this finished for the (last ever it turned out) Yeovilton show in February.

DSC_4561.JPG

DSC_4566.JPG

DSC_4560.JPG

DSC_4562.JPG

(Build thread here)

Next was my entry for the Made in Britain GB, the 1:16 Bandai Showmans Engine, which eventually won me a Silver medal at Telford! This is a very old kit which required a lot of work and of course stripping the gold and silver plating and redoing it plus scratch build detail of the generator

DSC_4877.JPG

DSC_4867.JPG

DSC_4851.JPG

DSC_4859.JPG

(Build thread here)

Next was a nice simple one after such a complex build as the Showmans engine so it was the 1:48 Hasegawa Hurricane IID, built as a 5 Sqn aircraft from Burma in early 1943, when my Dad was attached to 5 Sqn as an electrician, so this is another entry in my project "Aircraft my Father fixed"

DSC_5045.JPG

DSC_5044.JPG

DSC_5041.JPG

(RFI Thread here)

After that bit of peace and quite, I just had to start the ridiculous again didn't I? It all started with the re-release of the Moebius Flying Sub kit from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. I started adding LEDs to the interior and found I couldn't stop... 40-odd LEDs later and the internals were fully lit up and witihn a week the first LED failed in the engine at the rear

DSC_5250.JPG

DSC_5235.JPG

DSC_5236.JPG

(Build thread here)

Back to something relatively normal next and a kit I bought a few years abck at the Tank museum, an AFV Club Centurion Mk 6

DSC_5261.JPG

DSC_5264.JPG

DSC_5268.JPG

(RFI thread here)

Next was a quick repeat build of something from the year before. At a show I was offered money for my Thunderbird 2 launch ramp diorama, but foolishly I said no! I then realised I could just build another but I didn't get the contact details of the potential buyer... oh well, so anyway , I decided it was time to stop talking abotu it and build it! This time I simplified and improved things over the previous version, not bothering to build the cockpit as you can't see it in the original build! I also made a better job of the electrics.

DSC_6255.JPG

DSC_6260.JPG

DSC_6256.JPG

DSC_6254.JPG

(Build thread here RFI thread here)

Now begins the real madness that typified the middle of the year, and I reckon Cthulhu and Telford was the major cause of this...

DSC_5841.JPG

DSC_5840.JPG

This was the Reaper Minatures vinyl figure, with some experimental airbrush techniques...

(Build thread here)

So the next few builds were all focused towards Telford and the design of our club table, so I then built a diorama of a scene from a Thunderbirds episode called "Crash Dive" where the hypersonic airliner Fireflash crashes into the ocean and TB4 has to cut off the atomic engines in the tail...

DSC_6267_001.JPG

DSC_6270_001.JPG

DSC_6271_001.JPG

DSC_6273_001.JPG

(Build thread here)

...and now came the major insanity of the year, a built that took over 3 months and cost me a fortune in bloody plastic tube!!! Yes in the ridiculousness that is the Revell North Cormorant Oil Platform! The major source of ridiculousness was of course my insane decision to scratch build the platform's jacket tot he sea bed to display on the club table at Telford...

DSC_6677.JPG

With a 1:48 scale Mustang to give it scale:

DSC_6718.JPG

DSC_6682.JPG

DSC_6686.JPG

(Build thread here RFI thread here)

Okay so that didn't quite take the full 3 months to build, at the same time I build my second Round 2/MPC 22" Eagle Transporter. This was always intended to be entered into the competition at Telford, although there was a time when I wasn't sure I'd get it finished! Thankfully I did and I was overjoyed to see that it won the Gold medal for its class! Over the moon seems and appropriate statement!!!

DSC_6692.JPG

DSC_6694.JPG

DSC_6697.JPG

DSC_6707.JPG

2016-11-13+11_59_22.jpg

Penultimately for this year, is another nice simple build, inspired by my Air-Sea Rescue Avro Anson build from last year, an ASR  Lysanderfrom 277 Sqn in 1:48 using the old Testors/hawk kit. I replaced the pilots, propellor with prop blur and scratch built the dingy under-pylon stores

DSC_6984.JPG

DSC_6986.JPG

DSC_6992.JPG

DSC_6995.JPG

(RFI thread here)

...and finally, a little bit of fun. I enjoyed building the Aoshima Mole from Thunderbirds so much last year that I bought a couple more kits, with the intention of turnign one of the tractor units into a Firefly. What I then realised was I would have a spare Mole model, so it would make sense to build that kit in a certain manner.. .which I did, adding of course an obvious bit of insanity that turned out to be RATHER LOUD!!

DSC_6997.JPG

DSC_6999.JPG

(Build thread here)

and that is it, for now at least... Its been a fun if rather ridiculous year - and that was just my model making, lets not go into the ridiculous world events! I look forward (I think) to 2017!

• Like 33

Holy Cow! Such output - are you a modelling automaton? The oil rig is just plain crazy, but I love it. I also think it's great to see someone who doesn't just model in one genre. The steam fire engine is beautiful!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 18/12/2016 at 2:22 PM, Kallisti said:

Note the tiny Dropship :)

"We're in an express elevator to hell.....Going down!"  :D

Wonderfully eclectic collection sir.....All magnificent, but I think old tentacle face has to be my favourite.  :coolio:

• Like 1

What a great output for 2016, looking forward to seeing what you bring to the table for 2017. You can clearly see you are a very talented and accomplished model builder and across so many varieties of subjects. Your awards are very well deserved and rightly so. Roll on 2017.

• Like 1