1/72 - Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver by Special Hobby (plastic Academy) - released

Homebee

Based on the academy kit with dedicated injected parts like a new canopy, Special Hobby is to release in Spring 2017 a 1/72nd Curtiss SB2C-5 Helldiver kit - ref. SH72324

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2016/12/sh72350-sb2c-5-helldiver-172.html

box art

SB2_C.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Fair enough- will probably work out as cheap as buying the Academy kit, finding a P-47 propeller and then making the relevant changes to the bomb bay, cockpit sidewalls and bomb bay doors. Having the 'conversion' parts in plastic would be good. Wonder whether cutting will be required?

Will

Edited by Killingholme

Good oh, I've been wanting a -5 for some time, not only for the French options but also for the Italian and Greek options too!  Good choice :speak_cool:

• 1 month later...

CADs of the new parts resin and injected (like canopy)

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2017/01/sh72350-sb2c-5-helldiver-new-parts.html

For our forthcoming reboxing of Academy SB2C-4 kit, a set of new conversion parts has been prepared here and all these items will allow the modeller to build the kit in the Dash Five version. The new parts will be produced in two formats, the cockpit parts, u/c wheels, napalm tanks and some others will be produced from resin, the others will be of standard styrene injected into a metal mould. These styrene parts will cover the new cockpit canopy, enlarged bomb bay doors with actuators, a new bomb bay bulkhead with bomb release arms and a new broad-bladed propeller. So let´s take a lookt at the conversion part computer rendered images below.

SH72350_SB2C-5.jpg  cockpit%2BPUR%2B02.jpg

cockpit%2BPUR.jpg  plastic%2Bparts%2B01.jpg

plastic%2Bparts%2B02.jpg  paddle%2Bblade%2Bprop.jpg

canopy%2B02.jpg  canopy.jpg

bomb%2Bbay.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

That looks nice, it would be great if they'd release the conversion parts separately so I could convert one of the Academy kits in my stash, if they don't I guess I'll just be getting another Helldiver :thumbsup:

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/02/sh72350-sb2c-5-helldiver-172-3d.html

Our SH72350 SB2C-5 Helldiver in 1/72 scale has been prepared on a basis of ex-Academy kit accompanied by injected and resin parts that will allow the modeller to convert the original kit into the Dash Five version, the final production model of the Helldiver. The pattern parts have already been rapid prototyped and cleaned up and the production of the resin sets is just beginning.

IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5044.JPG

V.P. 

Edited by Homebee

Nice looking resin (it always is), any pictures of the transparencies, resin or injected plastic?

Edited by Wez
extra text

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to this, got one on order to do a French option, but I see the box comes with Italian and Greek options too...   ...might have to get a couple more, but then I'll need another one for a Portuguese option so that'll be 4 in total.

And this children, is how a stash begins... . ...and grows... . ...and grows!

Edited by Wez
extra text
  • Like 2

Decals look nice (although I'd probably use the Berna decals for the French option), would have preferred the Italian version in the silver target tug scheme but still, the yellow markings on the wings will make an attractive model.

8 minutes ago, luis pacheco said:

I was hoping to see Portuguese marks (Navy and Air Force) but that´s ok. The aftermarkers will take care of it, I hope.

I didn't appreciate the navy AND the air force used them.  Agreed, hopefully the aftermarket will provide.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though on the box top the Italian version refers to the Italian Navy, the decals are for the 86th ASW Autonomous Group of the Italian Air Force.

The Italian Navy was only briefly the owner of the aircraft.

And they were in the US NAVY overall blue scheme.

Italian Navy Helldiver on delivery day at Cabaniss Field, Corpus Christi, Texas.

Pay attention to the Italian Navy Jack on the tail of the aircraft and the shape of the anchors on the roundels, also present on the wing roundels.

Delivery ceremony in Corpus Christi, TX

Tauro Model Decals sheet 7248 has the correct markings for the Italian Navy aircraft and for the silver and yellow Air Force target tow.

Edited by Robertone139
added text.

On 3.05.2017 at 5:59 PM, Homebee said:

SH72350+decal.jpg

On 11.05.2017 at 10:05 PM, Homebee said:

SH72350+decal+blog.jpg

Have you noticed the difference: on first figure Italian roundels has reversed colours, so it looks like Iranian!

Nice, that corrected :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

I hadn't picked up on the fact that many of the new parts are plastic, for some reason I got it into my head they were all resin!  Well that makes things a bit easier.

Definitely looking forward to this kit.