Falklands A-4C

Giorgio N

Quick question regarding the Skyhawks used by the Fuerza Aerea Argentina during the Falklands war: I'm aware that both the A-4Bs and the A-4Cs differed from their US cousins in a number of details. Ampong the differences, both variants had a large bulge on the fuselage top. Now, is this bulge the same on the B and the C ? I ask because I have a Fujimi C that I'd like to build as an FAA aircraft and I have a spare bulge from the Airfix A-4B, if the two are the same I can simply use the Airfix part and I'm sorted for this detail. If not, I'll need to rethink the plan

I believe that the bulge that you speak of is a different shape between the two aircraft

If you look carefully you can see noticeably difference between the two aircraft here-

This thread is about building the airfix kit, it gives a nice photo of the airfix "bulge" and of the correct shape for an  FAA A-4P (A-4B)

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47356&start=40

Here someone built both Argentine versions in 1/48

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/a4cppds_1.htm

• Like 1

One detail that is frequently missed is there is a reinforcement plate on the top of the wing over the outboard pylons and one of the vortex generators was removed. The Argentinian A-4Bs and Cs were originally built with only one pylon per wing. The outboard pylons were added prior to delivery, and this necessitated the scab plate.  If you zoom in to the wing in the foreground you can make out the plate and missing vortex generator.

Hangar%20view_zpsrg1vkbje.jpg~original

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Quick question regarding the Skyhawks used by the Fuerza Aerea Argentina during the Falklands war: I'm aware that both the A-4Bs and the A-4Cs differed from their US cousins in a number of details. Ampong the differences, both variants had a large bulge on the fuselage top. Now, is this bulge the same on the B and the C ? I ask because I have a Fujimi C that I'd like to build as an FAA aircraft and I have a spare bulge from the Airfix A-4B, if the two are the same I can simply use the Airfix part and I'm sorted for this detail. If not, I'll need to rethink the plan

Hi Giorgio, 

the bulge you're referring to is the VLF/Omega navigation antenna, today's GPS ancestor that was relying on triangulation from specific stations signals all over the world (I'll let you Google "VLF Omega").

I believe that there was a shape difference between COAN and FAA aircrafts. I don't think that the entire fleet was equiped with the system, but that the bulge was there anyway.

I know there are good pictures in both Argentine monography series covering FAA and COAN, but... I don't have them handy...

Thanks a lot everyone, looks like I'll have to change plan. I'll try and see if the airfix bulge can be modified to the correct C shape, if not then I'll be forced to use plasticard.

Good to know of those other details too, the modifications to the wing upper surfaces in particular are something I didn't know about.

Back to the bulge... I remember well the Omega syste... When I was in college one of the exams was on avionic systems and the principles of the main navigation systems were part of the subject. So I found myself studying the various Omega, Loran, Tacan, ADF and so on, while at the same time knowing that by the day of my degree all these would have been made obsolete by the last chapter in the book, the GPS..:D

• Like 1

I would love to get my hands on a copy of that book, and several others in the series. Does anyone know of a way to get them in the UK?

Gareth

I am also in agreement about Lela bookstore.  They have some really good subject and I have been picking up copies of Navire & Historie as and where I can.

Mike