Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
rob Lyttle

silver planes

27 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I'm keen on bare metal planes, and I've been using sticky back aluminium foil for a while.

Can't stand doing muddy camouflage splodges on lovely planes!

Silver paint seldom delivers a result for me (though I did get a happy outcome with humbrol 191 and pencil lead shavings rubbed on)

Any body else out there working with foil tape?

1 person likes this

Wecome Rob. I use foil tape but only on very shiny things like Lightning intakes. I look forward to seeing your work.

Well I'm slow on the uptake when it comes to techy things, but I'll see what I can manage to post.

Recent acquisition is the airfix Martin b57 Canberra 1'48.

I'm weighing up my options, like the walkabout gallery here! Nice version with dayglow panels...

:dalek:t

Take that, software designers 

Edited by rob Lyttle
try picture

So close to getting a photo on here. Just one more trick to work out....!

They make it sound so dam easy!

http://photobucket.com/share/links?u=http%3A%2F%2Fs1347.photobucket.com%2Fuser%2FRob_Lyttle%2Fmedia%2FIMG_20160201_233418_zpshaafdggj.jpg.html%3Fsort%3D3%26o%3D3

Nope... that's not it' 

Edited by rob Lyttle

You need select the tab in the lower right corner of your post, marked "insert other media". Then select "insert image from URL" and you will get a dialogue box which you should copy your link into. Finally, select "insert into post".

You should get this:

IMG_20160201_233418_zpshaafdggj.jpg

1 person likes this

FB_IMG_1475445378249_zpsqn1qllbh.jpgYEAH HHHHHH!

Now, what was it I did?…...

Edited by rob Lyttle
insert picture

IMG_201612348_112338

So this is a F4J  I did a while back.

Now I know the US Navy painted them, and salt water wouldn't be too kind on the Ali, but I love the look. Real pretty plane.

PS.enroled on flickr instead of P.bucket- seems to work better for me for pasting pics. Or maybe I'm turning into a whizzkid boffin...?

Edited by rob Lyttle
correction...F4J

Looks like you cracked it rob ,i like the trumpet, used to ride lambrettas myself series 2 they were......😴days gone by eh 

1 person likes this

Any advice on creating this dayglow orange effect?

Love the look of this for me B57.

Looks like it's on grey fuse though. 

B57 nose / cockpit . dayglow

Rob pray tell how did you get the picture of the triumph in the circle under your name 🤔

Edited by Hewy

Hi, Rob.

I can't recommend a particular paint or brand for the very bright orange, but I can provide a bit of advice. Use a good under-coat of yellow before you put on the orange - the yellow should really make the top-coat "ping". 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

1 person likes this

Hewy, I used to have a triumph tiger 100, long gone now.

Friend sent me a pic on Facebook, found on the web somewhere, and I saved it as it looks so familiar (and cool).

Now,top of forums/ new members is "put a face to your name".

I think it's in there somewhere, can't really remember. But instead of posting A mugshot I picked the ole iron horse instead. Prettier... I was in the USA about 1980, and found a kit of a T100 with the fonze from Happy Days about 1/12 scale.Fonze was a bit poor, but the bike reminded me of what I had parked up at home.

Hewy

"important new members please read" on forums,  wasn't there an option when you started writing a intro?

Talk about the blind leading....😃

This is the Canberra airframe I'm working on.

IMG_20170114_124855_zpskva8gu2l.jpglost the knack of pasting pics, so this is a little miracle in itself!

Working on the orange/red panels now, with a yellow undercoat. Good advice....

Here's me showing off my picture posting abilities, with an update of progress on my B57B Canberra.

In 1/48 scale, she's a beast! Certainly the biggest thing I've put together in plastic.

IMG_20170125_134101

Well on the way. Actually I'm a bit further on, now, and had a go at making a build thread in "work in progress". Dunno how to make a link to it, but searching for EB57B should bring it up.

I was surprised to see a model building thread in the New Members section. But any model chat is good chat as far as I'm concerned.

Have any of you tried Alclad metals laquers? I find that they give a very realistic metallic sheen. The important thing is to have a VERY smooth and blemish free surface on which to apply the paint and also to use a good, solid primer.

The laquers come in multiple metallic shades so you can get that "patchwork" effect often seen on bare metal fuselages. I used Alclad shades on my Apollo/Soyuz model. and on my Revell Mercury/Atlas rocket

diaORejZ.jpg

4KdxCe5T.jpg

6HlT1raS.jpg

One thing to be aware of is the fact that even if an aeroplane is finished in an all silver solour scheme does not mean it is bare metal. In particular, British aircraft in the 1950s were often painted in a scheme known as "High Speed Silver" which was paint over primer. It was thought to give a smooth finish to minimise drag. Typical aircraft carying these schemes were Vampires and Meteors -

0ViefCVd.jpg

uMf5O6g5.jpg

1 person likes this

You're right Eric. As this was my "first contact "  and where I started to work out how to put things on the site, I'm drawn back to it. 

But I need to move on.

I started a thread on aircraft work in progress, and I can get to it by searching "EB 57B". Trying to get my abilities improved by practice!

Seen some brilliant results with alclad , and your space stuff looks impressive results. I may give it a try one day.

I seem to recall that the DH vampire had a fair amount of wood in its structure, so that would definitely need a bit of painting!

It certainly did. Having built lots of Mosquitoes, De Havilland used some of the same techniques in constructing the fuselage "pod" of the Vampire.

I well remember walking amongst Irish Air Corps Vampire T55s  put "out to Grass" back in 1981/82 and seeing how the wood was delaminating in the damp Irish climate.

You mean one of these?

IMG_20170217_223744

The ole mossies had a pretty harsh time of it out in the Pacific's jungle climate. Wood boring larvae, weevils, heat and humidity. Take more than a coat of paint, silver or otherwise, to keep that lot out!

Vampire s fabulous little plane,though. Especially original nose/ single seaters.

I'm getting an idea now...  

Not seen those stamps before. Nice to see Air Corps aircraft being celebrated by the Irish post office (An Poist).

1 person likes this

Re' the forward fuselage on the Vampire, I was stationed at Dyce , now Aberdeen airport in '55 home of 612 squadron .

Vampire FB 5s and two Meteor T 7s . You could actually push your finger tips into the cracks in the plywood skin !.

They were limited to 350 mph .

1 person likes this

Just 350 then!?!

It would be quite dramatic to see your fuselage peeling away layer by layer in a 350mph slipstream ..

Has anybody managed to keep one airworthy?