Frog tape as alternative to Tamiya tape?

McYellowbelly

Just bought a roll of 'Frogtape delicate surface low tack' tape

36mm x 41metres for £5.99.

Seems very similar to Tamiya style kabuki tape.

Anyone tried this or have I found a cheaper source of masking?:D

36mm is rather wide for most modelling purposes :) usually its 3 OR 6 mm!

The difference would be about how "low tack" the glue is to avoid lifting existing paint.

Also how well does the edge go down - I've got rolls of normal decorators masking tape and the edge just doesn't go down as well as tamiya tape as its got a rougher texture which is fine for normal decorating purposes where you don't need fraction of mm accuracy. I tend to use it as a fill-in for large areas and Tamiya tape for the edges.

Best bet is to give it a try and report back :)

It is not bad but not a handy thing to use. I generally use it for filling in after using the model type tape.

Found that Micron tape is better than Tamiya and a lot lot cheaper. Much better edge. Though as bits

tend to stick to the edges of the rolls for masking I cut a virgin line which is also better than the machine line used to cut the tape.

But I have turned to using car body lining tape.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/masking-mats-knives/masking-tapes/finespray-fine-line-green-tape-6mm-x-55m.html

The green I use for dead straight or near straight line. It releases well. You do not to need to grind the edge as with Tamiya.

Just use finger pressure. It does collect bits on the edges so cut a virgin line.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/masking-mats-knives/masking-tapes/3m-fine-line-masking-tape-6mm-33m.html

The blue. Great tape of going around acute corners as it stretches well. I have cut thin strips less than 1mm to go round very very

tight corners which Tamiya will not. Very good for cutting out shapes.

If masking for instance a cockpit no need to cut mires on the corners just over lap and press on the meeting edge with a finger nail.

Also easy to edge the position slightly to line up as required where i is not quire accurate. Most important it gives very clean line

better than the paper type clothes. Also being plastic it does not wet up as the paper tapes.

Best to get these lining tapes in 6mm or 100mm. Gives a better chance for cutting strips. Cheap as the rolls are about 36 feet long.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

Forget the word ‘kabuki’, I’m sure it’s just a word Eduard and all the others made up to make it sound far off and exotic.

Do a google for ‘Kamoi’ or 'washi' tape. 

Mart

Edited by LotusArenco