Vintage Heathrow Airport Footage (66',72')

The 3rd Placer

Superb!  Not seen that footage before, so thanks for posting. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!   Shame about the running time at the bottom of the screen, but guess it's a master from the camera.

In 1973 or 1974, as teenager I was visiting with my brother our grandpa, who lived in London. We spent some 8 hours at Heathrow - I made two colour films, so 72 shots.  I still have those pictures. One day (?) I will scan them - there are interesting painting schemes of rare stuf like for instance Caravelle of Royal Air Maroc...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Scan them,  Scan them please!  Many of us lived too far away to get down to London or see interesting aircraft.  Even views of buildings and service vehicles can be of great use for dioramas etc.

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

One forgets just how loud Speys were...

Or just how much pollution jets put out, you can hardly see after the Trident takes off!

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Scan them,  Scan them please!  Many of us lived too far away to get down to London or see interesting aircraft.  Even views of buildings and service vehicles can be of great use for dioramas etc.

Mike

. 1966 is when I really started going every day if possible on my treader, I lived 4 miles away 58-70.

Back in 66 so many different types coming in and something new every week 66-68. I could but won't list them! That film is good  though.

I'd love to see JMW's 1966 shots, love to!

Forget interesting aircraft now unless you like endless parades of Boeing 747-787, Airbus 318,319,320,321 etc. etc. Great aircraft but it wears thin after 10 minutes. Was there last year and was so bored. JFK was the same, all the same. I get lost round parts of it now. Nowhere really good to get a good view. No top of the Queens anymore, no Queen's, Back of the Oceanic Building later T3 was shut after the IRA started. That T3 has gone for another T3. Europa Building later T2 had a roof garden. All gone. New T2. T1 wasn't any good.

Before the terrorists started I used to ride my bike into the Pan-Am Hangar, see the guy in the Ball Cap chewing a 2 foot Seeeeegar, Please Can I go on the JAL DC-8, Pan-Am DC-8,707, TMA DC-4,DC-6 what ever was in his domain at the time. He never said no. Just don't touch anything boy ,I won't let you come in again if you do !

Ride on to Fields pan, bump in to Douglas Bader getting out the door of one of the Shell HS125s. Not impressed , I might add.

Sit on top of the tunnel wall above the road feet were on the airfield.

Up the grass banking next to BOAC's Hangars.

Checking TWA's Cargo shed near the Ariel Hotel for Hughs and Bell Helicopters in crates !

Go to the Air India desk in the Oceanic, can I go on a 707 please ? No problem, always took us.....Our playground.

Those were the days, the best there was next to actually working on them. My childhood was something else.

• Like 2

What a great video ! lots of memories like a few of you in the mid-70's watching the planes take off and land during the summer the smell of burnt kerosene always reminds of those heady days, airband radio and camera at the ready 

I think the sound is genuine, at least that's what I remember from back then, can you imagine the reaction now from local residents if those old birds were to fly once more ? The sound monitors today would probably explode !

I am very very lucky in that my life took me from being an awkward young teen on one side of the fence to flying out of Heathrow every now and then as a captain on a United jet on the other side.

It was a shame to see the chain link fence parallel to 27R all blocked off so no-one could see the planes take off and land, as we lined up.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:09 PM, FLCH said:

What a great video ! lots of memories like a few of you in the mid-70's watching the planes take off and land during the summer the smell of burnt kerosene always reminds of those heady days, airband radio and camera at the ready 

I think the sound is genuine, at least that's what I remember from back then, can you imagine the reaction now from local residents if those old birds were to fly once more ? The sound monitors today would probably explode !

I am very very lucky in that my life took me from being an awkward young teen on one side of the fence to flying out of Heathrow every now and then as a captain on a United jet on the other side.

It was a shame to see the chain link fence parallel to 27R all blocked off so no-one could see the planes take off and land, as we lined up.

You'll probably know the Pan-Am hangar I mentioned is now United's. Remember the "Jet Set" VHF radio?

18 hours ago, The Cameraman said:

Ahhhhhhh,

bliss, especially the VC10's!

Was there any other 'planes then? Must have missed them!

• Like 1

If you guys want another dose of Heathrow nostalgia and excellent colour references, check out my new hardback book "Heathrow in Photographs" - Celebrating 70 years of London's Airport published by the History Press. Copies available from The History Press website, also Amazon and E. Bay. Over 250 photos capturing the scenes at Heathrow from 1946 to date - nearly all in colour! 

• Like 2

I didn't know about the hanger, I'm old Continental, but makes sense seeing as UAL purchased the PanAm routes years ago.

• Like 1