Mig29 Fulcrum wheels measures

Whirly

Hi all,

I'm currently revitalising a long ago stalled project for a KUTA group build in the form of the Italeri Mig29UB...

There are many problems with that kit and one is that both nose and main wheels seem too small when compared to the real subject. Some years ago I copied with resin those in the Airfix/Heller kit, but I'm now doubting about these latter's accuracy: maybe they are too big!

I checked with my references to find an official measurement and came with these:

Aerofax - OKB MiG (Miller-Butowski)

main   30.3 x 7.87 in        770 x 200 mm
nose   20.86 x 3.93 in      530 x 100 mm

Midland - Famous Russian Aircraft - Mikoyan MiG29 (Yefim Gordon)

main    33 x 11.4 in         840 x 290mm
nose    22.4 x 5.5 in        570 x 140mm

It's a really big difference and I wonder which is right. Anyone can shed some light on this mistery?

Thank you

Fabio

The Midland book is correct. The tire size is inscribed on the tires, and MiG-29 nose wheels read 570 x 140 and main wheels 840 x 290. Check out various walkarounds, or if you want I can post some pictures of Slovak MiG-29AS I photographed in Farnborough in 2008.

Hi Apex, thank you for confirming the correct measures. It's strange how such a gross mistake could be published in the Aerofax book!

Your images are really helpful, may I ask if you have one of the front gear mudguard taken from behind?

@Hook: it's a good suggestion but all the aftermarket wheels seem to lack the mudguard so the Eduard set would resolve only part of the problem.

Cheers

Fabio

Well not directly from behind but does this help? Actually this picture also shows the size markings much better.

img_0702.jpg

You could try the North Star wheels, they look awesome in pictures if a little fiddly to assemble.