1:35 italeri sd,kfz.234/4

hi all managed to finish this one just before the weekend, was much of a struggle but is a kit that does show its age, as the interior is more or less nothing other than a coupe of seats, so I used some bits out the spares just to try give it bit more interest... the figures were some had loose in a box....

decided ages ago that want try start doing more builds on bases and been wanting to try replicate grass so using some fur and following  you tube videos try to do best I could, but cant help to feel that still looks to much like fur than grass????

P1160184.jpg

P1160185.jpg

P1160186.jpg

P1160190.jpg

P1160189.jpg

P1160187.jpg

P1160188.jpg

P1160191.jpg

P1160180_1.jpg

• Like 12

Fantastic subject ! The 234/4 has always appealed to me and you did the subject proud I really like the Camo and the colours you used . I've never seen the Italeri kit     but I think you did great with it  considering as you say the interior is pretty bare . Super work sir ! 

Jim.

• Like 1

Hi Batcode. Grand job there old chap.

I had Tamiya's re-boxed italeri 234/2 (I think it was) with the 20mm cannon,  PE and Tamiya figures, and as you say, the vehicle's interior was very basic. Luckily, with that version the interior wasn't visible anyway. You might wanna look at that kit as a future subject, cos they are great looking objects and come in handy as secondary vehicles in dioramas.

As for your furry grass, I think it looks quite good but it could be improved I think with a bit more work. The problem you have is a lack of variation in the length of the fibres, and their dense uniform distribution.  

So, get a spare patch and try the following:

Make variouslys dilute solutions of PVA. Add differing shades of green and green/yellow acrylics to the solutions and dribble them over the grass in patches, and whilst still wet give those areas a good raking over with a metal comb, or even a fork. Continue to tease, pull, scrape and tweak at the fur as it dries. This should stick some fibres together in clumps, separate others, and pull some fibres out completely. 

On other patches, without PVA, brush the fibres to stand upright, then snip away at the fur like a looney, using scissors held vertically and cutting downwards.You'll miss some fibres, but cut others at various heights. Then repeat the 'PVA-combing'.

I'd also think about using a disposable razor and shaving some areas almost to the 'skin'. In these areas, I'd be tempted to sprinkle crushed herbs and work it into the ground, fixing with more PVA or CA.

If using CA with fur/organic materials, watch out for the heat and fumes! It can almost ignite, (it will almost certainly smoke) and the fumes can seriously irritate your eyes, nose, mouth and lungs!

When  these test areas are dry, give the ground level repeated washes with very dilute enamels, experimenting with dark greens, browns and black.

Although I haven't used an entire fur as a ground, I have used fibres in my 'Lost in France' dio, and you might find that a help. Here's the link:

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1