The worlds best model paint

Matave

Today I opened a box of model paint that hasn't been opened for 40 years!

The box contains about 20% of paint and it's still usable. It's like I put the lid on yesterday. Amazing isn't it?

Airfix enamel G 17 from the age when I was a kid. Just awesome!

It was better in the old days...

Airfix%20enamel.JPG

• Like 4

I have quite a stash of old model paint from the 60s, 70s and 80s (Humbrol, Airfix, Gloy, Precision Paints, Compucolour, etc) and the vast majority of it is still perfectly useable. I find that they have much better coverage than modern paints too. I'm not exactly sure what has changed, through I would very much like to know.

I've got Humbrol paint at least that old, including some long-discontinued colors, and it's a fresh as the day it left the factory. By the way, your Airfix paint will last even longer if you remove all that dried paint around the rim of the tin and on the lid.

5 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

By the way, your Airfix paint will last even longer if you remove all that dried paint around the rim of the tin and on the lid.

I know, but as I said... it's 40 years old... ;)

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I have quite a stash of old model paint from the 60s, 70s and 80s (Humbrol, Airfix, Gloy, Precision Paints, Compucolour, etc) and the vast majority of it is still perfectly useable. I find that they have much better coverage than modern paints too. I'm not exactly sure what has changed, through I would very much like to know.

One assumes the stuff from the days of yore was made with stuff so toxic that it's practically liquefied nerve gas, where as our modern paints wouldn't hurt a kitten.

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

One assumes the stuff from the days of yore was made with stuff so toxic that it's practically liquefied nerve gas, where as our modern paints wouldn't hurt a kitten.

Humbrol was advertised as "non-toxic" back in the late 50s/early 60s. I presume it still is.

Just now, Space Ranger said:

Humbrol was advertised as "non-toxic" back in the late 50s/early 60s. I presume it still is.

I mostly spoke in jest, but I think the definition of non-toxic has likely broadened a little since 1958.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Same with the Airfix paint. It says: "New formula Non toxic" -> Which should mean that the first original version was toxic.

Edited by Matave
  • Like 1

Bring back the good old days? Well maybe not for me? I remember using the older Humbrol Enamels when I first started modelling cars  (late seventies era) I built a Porsche 911 and it took an age to dry, well it never really did dry properly. I got impatient, put it all together and was left with a mass of fingerprints and still sticky surface. It ended up in the bin. My enthusiasm for the hobby dampened forever. 

When I returned to the hobby years later, I armed myself with quick drying Tamiya TS paints, Mr Color and Zero. I can finish a car body in a day now instead of weeks, and, it's properly dry as well. 

I still keep some enamels in my box though as for some things they are useful. But for the main I prefer the newer, quicker drying paints of today...