Series 1 SWB Land Rovers in the British Army

mollythedog

A mate recently gave me several boxes of half built Airfix 1/76th stuff,one of which seems to contain pretty much 2 complete Bloodhounds and Land Rovers. I want to strip the Landys back (they look like they have been part painted with Humbrol enamels ).

30612433204_1990d07e7f_b.jpgseries 1 by plastichacker, on Flickr

Any suggestions for an easily obtainable stripper,or is Caustic the only option? And,suggestions for a British Army model, or were they all the bog standard "Doctor Who" type that I seem to remember with Major Whatshisface in it? Did they have the spare on the bonnet,or inside as i have seen on tinternet. I am sure I can do "something" with them,but would be happy to hear some ideas.

Cheers

mtd

I've used thick household bleach successfully. Put the model into a plastic bag pour in the bleach and leave for a couple of hours then attack the model with an old toothbrush. If the paint is still in the panel lines another quick dunk and repeat should work. The surface of the plastic takes on a dull and rough to the feel quality, but takes paint really well

Thanks chaps and chapesses So last night I put the half painted one in a bag and poured Harpic Power Plus on it,didn't have any bog standard (geddit?) bleach.....

This morning the paint is still there but on rinsing most of the glued joints fell apart- a new use for a domestic cleaner (of the bottled type)?

mtd

• Like 1

Brake fluid works well (try spilling some on your cars paint work to see how well!!) There are some products available from model shops specifically for this kind of thing. One I used to use was called Strip it.

With regards to the spare wheel. In the sixties, they were mainly carried on the bonnet whether swb or lwb. I don't ever recall it being inside as it would have taken up too much room.

HTH's.

John. 

Caustic works every time for me...........get the right stuff as most of it has been made user friendly due to EU laws and harmful ingredients removed(this applies to brake fluid as well)

If interested and you have a £1 to spare..........check it out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAUSTIC-SODA-SINK-TOILET-DRAIN-UNBLOCKER-POWDER-CLEANER-STRONG-500G-HEAVY-DUTY-/152184720975?hash=item236eea8e4f:g:VzYAAOSw7I5TwEIx

Caustic Soda has always been my first choice,but seems increasingly difficult to get. Used to be,when I lived in England,that you could go into Boots or any DIY place and buy it. Not so now? I'm back on a visit so will look around. In Yurop they seem to mix it and sell as a safe liquid,which doesn't do much,but as most of France,for example, isn't on mains drainage they are touchy about what gets flushed. Judging by the taste and look of the tap water in this part of England it gets sent directly here....

As an experiment, I put some more Harpic on the glue joints still intact,though I didn't bother with a bag nor overnight soaking- I now have an unassembled kit to rework. It also wrecks stainless sink tops,just hope SWMBO doesn't notice....she will.

Thanks Bullbasket, i came across a Series 1 with the spare inside,wasn't sure if this normal or the exception. Looks like it will be green with green then.

cheers

mtd