Concorde - Revell 1/72

CedB

:wow: Gorgeous, and that nose visor really makes the difference. An outstanding result, you should be really proud of it. Plus it makes for a great viewing when you sit at your desk! :clap::clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, you're very welcome!

Thanks Giorgio, and thanks for your very kind comments, as always.

Thanks Alex, Mark, BerndM and Billy - very kind.

As promised here's a quick summary for people who may be silly enough considering the build. It is a challenging build and, hopefully, a quick run through of the problems I had might help you decide. Apologies if this is a bit random - it's just a summary of the WiP and you can always go through that when you have a few hours (stiff drink recommended).

Thanks first to Sheepie, Rene, Robo95 (referenced here) and Phil (WiP here) for their build threads and all the help and warnings.

Before you start 

Make sure you have lots of space. It's BIG.

Check all the parts for short shot problems. My visor (replaced by Revell) and intakes (noticed too late) had problems.

Internals

There are some nice transfers but you won't see them when she's closed up so don't worry too much.

Be careful with the console - it just sits on the top of the centre console and should fit under the canopy, but the fit on that is tricky so dry fit (a lot).

The canopy has to slide in from the front and it fits behind the engineer's panel - don't fit this to the wall or you'll have problems.

The canopy won't go in after the fuselage is joined so lots of dry fitting required, but it does fit fairly well if you cut bits off the front corners and wiggle it. The top join is 'iffy' so I would spread the fuselage to match the windows if I did it again (not likely!)

Visor and nose

The supplied mechanism looks fun but it spoils the look of the nose IMHO. I left mine out and fitted a piece of black card under the visor (thanks Phil) which improves the look.

The frame on the visor is nicely proud and, with care during masking, can give you nice thin frames. Worth taking care as it's an eye catcher. 

I think there should be a gap at the front to allow the heat shield (not in the kit) to slide up so don't fill too much.

Paint the frame on the canopy before assembly - the visor will cover it.

I left the bottom join (which was warped) until I joined up the parts and then squashed it to fit.

Fitting the wheel well is a pain given this problem - you just have to fiddle.

Tail

The fit on mine was good and it's a bit of relief from the other parts so I would assemble this when you need a break.

Wiggle the tail cone a bit and it will fit, or at least mine did!

The underside isn't too bad but needs some attention on the join as the mold is a bit proud.

Centre Fuselage

By far the worse part. The centre fuselage halves are very flimsy plastic and can't be used to judge the shape, set really by the nose and tail sections. There's no answer to this apart from lots of dry fitting, clamping and strong glue inside the join (I had to use Humbrol filler inside the back).

The wing parts are a good fit to themselves but there are a series of pins on the fuselage that the wing tops have to go OVER.

If you rest the model on the bench, the wings flex upwards and mess up the joins so you need to support the underside to keep the wingtips off the bench.

My approach (YMMV) was to fit the fuselage strengtheners at the tops/sides to allow them to flex at the bottom for the wing fit. Then to fit the nose and tail and squeeze the centre halves to match the front join with clamps, dry fitting the bottom wing to check the fit.

The main advantage of this approach is that the wings don't get in the way while you're sanding, sanding, sanding. Dry fit the wings first though to make sure your kit works the same as mine.

Joining the Tail

Awful. The plastic used for the tail (and nose) seems to have a shiny 'skin' that laughs at sanding. The tail fin is wider that the part on the fuselage halves and, sadly, the tail seems too thick. I ended up using an electric sander (shudder).

I also ended up with lots of filler, of all sorts, in the join including Humbrol filler on the inside.

Wings

Mine went together with care but a good fit. 

The very pointy wing fronts are going to need attention but you can help yourself by getting the rough fit right - there's a guide on the fuselage. Then get the filler ready. There are transfers for the lights - fill the holes!

Nacelles

Also awful. basically you have a choice of the tops fitting flush with the top of the wing (as I did) or the parts fitting together underneath. Your choice!

Note that the nacelles on the real thing don't meet the wing at the front (from about half way down the white bits). The kits parts represent this but the parts are thin and you need to get the shape in your head - check the reference shots.

Transfers

A pain. The stencils don't fit so don't be afraid to cut them up to cover the inspection panels.

Obviously the tail flashes need care, but they're OK if you're patient.

Take care with the order of the transfers on the front doors and make sure you're happy with the look of the main flash - that's the most noticeable.

Long, long dotty things on the top and they follow a wiggly line. More care needed but I suggest sliding them off the paper once you're sure they're moving.

I painted the front of the intakes as the transfers didn't fit my (badly assembled) nacelles.

That's me done - I hope this helps and good luck!

• Like 6

Hi Ced, 

It looks beautiful :clap2:

I think you did her justice! This must be the most beautiful airliner and one of the most beautiful aircraft ever designed.  I usually say it is beauty crystallised :wub:

Cheers 

Jaime

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant!!!! You really are to be commended for not only finishing such a project, but for achieving as well such a perfect result.

Congrats.

I will give you 9 out of 10. An Air France plane would have gotten you a 10!

Never forget that Frogs can be really mean!

Superlative build.

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Russ, very kind.

Thanks Jaime. She is beautiful and I will try to ignore the problems I know are there!

Thanks Jean - 9/10 is very generous and probably awarded thanks to my crafty photography!

Thanks Leon - got there in the end!

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

What a great looking Concorde you certainly done her proud with what is not a great kit well done my friend :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - no problem as far as I'm concerned... lovely voice she has, even if she is singing about drowning your Sister... a hey ho bonny o.

Thanks Michael - I'll take that with thanks🏅!

Thanks Nocoolname and Don :)

Thanks Guy, especially for your comments in the WiP too.

• Like 1