Hurricane Wing Anti-slip

Tbolt

The black coating that was applied to the inboard panel of the Hurricane wing, I've noticed that it wasn't very hard wearing and maybe it was applied direct to the skin, without a primer as it seems to wear a lot more than the paint around it on some airframes and some about the same.

Where it is darker around the edge, it seems to be darker than the colour on that panel, so could there be a primer, thoughts?

Also anyone got any other pictures of heavy wear on this panel?

I'm building V6665 in the 2nd picture and I know if I do that much wear without the picture as evidence people would say it doesn't look right!

Heavy wear.

3929519235_4f0fc2e8e6_z.jpg?zz=1

hurityl.jpg

Hurricane_6_August_1940_worldwartwo.film

29411f66261fc76aa40872cd573ee90b.jpg

Lighter wear that matches the surrounding area.

A5_CH_001296_tif.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-06-27-at-11.46.41.png

Armourers_replenish_the_ammunition_in_a_

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

I`d always assumed that it was black anti slip textured paint similar to emery cloth but harder wearing and that being rough, the mud stuck to it and dried,.....making the panel look lighter. 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

In the fifth and last photos, the anti-slip sections appear to have an edge, suggesting not painted on - unless that is some really thick paint?

Agree with Tony, the rough surface attracts dirt, hence the lighter portions.

regards,

Jack

That might be the case in the last photo's I showed but the brightness of the first three pictures I posted tells me that's metal showing. Also it's in complete contrast to the area around it, you wouldn't get mud only on the anti slip panel.

I agree that metal could be showing.  It has been far too long since I was hanging around real (operational) airplanes, so I don't remember the details (!) and my experience is more with 'merican standards, but I doubt it is much different.

1 hour ago, JackG said:

In the fifth and last photos, the anti-slip sections appear to have an edge, suggesting not painted on - unless that is some really thick paint?

Agree with Tony, the rough surface attracts dirt, hence the lighter portions.

regards,

Jack

I'm not seeing an edge - there is a dark area around the panel but I can't see any thickness to it, other than what you would expect for an anti slip paint.

Edited by Tbolt

I certainly see a surrounding edge to the panel.  It looks to me as though the edges are held down by a strip of metal, perhaps rivetted to the underlying skin.

I recall seeing anti-slip material on the top of the intake of USAAF F-4s in SEA camouflage.  There it was like tar, a lumpy bitumen painted onto the skin.  I've no doubt that a number of different approaches have been taken over the years.

8 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I certainly see a surrounding edge to the panel.  It looks to me as though the edges are held down by a strip of metal, perhaps rivetted to the underlying skin.

I recall seeing anti-slip material on the top of the intake of USAAF F-4s in SEA camouflage.  There it was like tar, a lumpy bitumen painted onto the skin.  I've no doubt that a number of different approaches have been taken over the years.

All I can see around the edge is something darker like the edge has been sealed with something. The panel join outboard of the anti slip coating actually has a small gap between it and the coat.

The first three pictures are almost like the area is either primed or maybe has the top colour on then a sheet of anti slip is bonded to it and the edge is then sealed, then what's happen is the sheets have come of at some point taking a good bit of the paint with them.

Edited by Tbolt

I thought that you were denying there was anything there?  It could indeed be a continuous run of sealant, though it is suspiciously regular for that and in some views appear to show a number of dots that could be rivet heads.  However that could explain why in the first photo the bottom right corner appears to be lifted above the skin.  Looks draggy to me...

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I thought that you were denying there was anything there?  It could indeed be a continuous run of sealant, though it is suspiciously regular for that and in some views appear to show a number of dots that could be rivet heads.  However that could explain why in the first photo the bottom right corner appears to be lifted above the skin.  Looks draggy to me...

I was saying that I can't see any thickness to it like a metal strip, or the panel itself, but looking again at the last picture maybe looks like it could be raised like a sealant, because it might have some "roundness" to it, though it hard to say. All I've noticed that look like rivet is in the first shot, just in front of the panel where the sealant could be. Hard to say if something has lifted on that front edge - it could just be the darker sealant making it look like a shadow.

Edited by Tbolt

When we used to paint our old steel helmets in the Army we used to throw grit into the paint to give a rough texture,.... maybe something like this was done?

Image result for 44 pattern steel helmet

Tony

Thanks for the info guys. What I've ended up doing is painting the anti-slip area silver and I will add a few little bits of paint on top and some sealant around the edge as with all the info everyone has given me it seems that the anit-slip material was a sheet stuck on.