• 2 weeks later...

Please count me in.

No idea what I'll build, plenty of air options but I'm inclined to try for one each sea, land and air before getting into multiple aircraft builds. Would be a shame not to do an AFV since tanks were invented during World War I, whereas aircraft and submarines had both been used in previous conflicts...

Edited by Sabre_days

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in.

My Grandfather served in Dar-es-Salaam as a driver with the Army Service Corps. I have an Otto Doppeldecker among others in the stash....

Ian

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm in.

My Grandfather served in Dar-es-Salaam as a driver with the Army Service Corps. I have an Otto Doppeldecker among others in the stash....

Ian

You are very welcome Ian.  The Otto Doppeldecker would be an unusual build ...

Thanks Robert, by the way, where in South Bucks are you? I'm Wycombe born and bred, lived in Hughenden Valley until early my 30's.......

Ian

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

where in South Bucks are you?

Hello Ian,

We often go to Hughenden for Sunday lunch (sounds posh, but it's just NT).  I have a studio in High Wycombe, near Desborough - in one of the old furniture factories.

I often wonder if they built Mosquitoes there during the war?

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

I often wonder if they built Mosquitoes there during the war?

It's possible they made parts for them. No one factory built them all, the parts were moved by road to be assembled. Wings were built in Wycombe, and other parts in some of the other local factories. Here's an interesting piece on the local industry.

http://sfsa.unsa.ba/nauka/dokumenti/Radovi-2004/Ioras-Furniture-industry-Wycombe.pdf

Ian

OT:  Thanks Ian, I wasn't aware of that paper, it makes an interestin read

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It's possible they made parts for them. No one factory built them all, the parts were moved by road to be assembled. Wings were built in Wycombe, and other parts in some of the other local factories. Here's an interesting piece on the local industry.

http://sfsa.unsa.ba/nauka/dokumenti/Radovi-2004/Ioras-Furniture-industry-Wycombe.pdf

Ian

Mosquito wings and fuselages were made in HW, though in different factories.  Are you aware of the book High Wycombe’s Contribution To Aviation (David Scott and Ian Simmons)?  There is a substantial section on the construction of the Mosquito, together with photos.

Checking my copy of HWCA, it seems deHavilland also used makers in HW during WWI, the dh4 and 9 are certainly mentioned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

You can add me too. Got a number of ww1 aircraft and a Meng A7V that need building

You are very welcome Bonhoff, a German tank would be a great inclusion in the group build, or one of those aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2016 at 0:41 AM, Murdo said:

HMY Iolaire.

iolaire_hmy_iolaire_big_pic_1_1_02_zpshm

260766175_2abaa7d487_o_zpsawjuamaq.jpg

The Iolaire Disaster was probably one of the saddest incidents of WW1. On New Years Eve 1918, HMY Iolaire was bringing servicemen home from the British mainland to the Isle of Lewis (and Harris). They were returning from the horrors of the Western Front or the Atlantic convoys and U-boats after 4 years of war. 

There was violent storm that night and the Iolaire hit rocks called the "Beasts of Holm" at the entrance to Stornoway harbour at around 2am on the 1st of January. 205 soldiers and sailors drowned. They were only about 50 yards from the shore but the storm was so bad that they couldn't get to shore and the waves killed many of them by dashing them on the rocks. Of the 205 men lost, 175 were from the islands and the rest were Royal Navy. 

Iolaire is the Gaelic for Eagle and is pronounced something like yollareh but the ship is always pronounced as eye-oh-lair. "The Iolaire" is still usually mentioned in hushed tones in the Western Isles almost 100 years later. In fact it was such a disaster that even today it is not readily discussed on the island. The cause of the accident was never established.

If anyone thinks it might be inappropriate then I'll happily choose something else.

Visited the site last year. Astounding how close to the shore 'The Beasts' and therefore the disaster happened. No less appropiate than the many beautifully made battlefield dioramas we regularly see.

• 1 month later...

FWIW I think Murdo's entry would be most appropriate. Not all casualties are caused by direct enemy action.

Given my woeful record in GBs I think a year long one would be excellent perhaps ending on 11/11.

Going with the lesser know campaigns I'm planning a Ford Model T patrol car converted from the 48th ambulance kit. If somebody does the obvious and releases a British rhomboid in 48th I'd be delighted (and broke).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SleeperService said:

FWIW I think Murdo's entry would be most appropriate. Not all casualties are caused by direct enemy action.

Thanks SleeperService, I think the Iolaire should be in too.

21 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Given my woeful record in GBs I think a year long one would be excellent perhaps ending on 11/11.

Ending on 11/11 would, I feel, be appropriate.   I did have half a thought about ending the GB at 11 ack emma, but feel that would be too sharp for some (me included).

A year long build - wonder what implications that would have for the voting :whistle:

A patrol car sounds good, which campaign i wonder?

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Yes please, I'll be up for this,(I hope) I've no shortage of WW1 subjects & at this point, no reason not to sign up.

Steve.

Good to have you with us Steve, you are very welcome

Hello, I would like to be involved too. I have plenty of ships I can do for this, and I have been thinking of doing a pair of ships on one sea base, Good Hope and Monmouth. I have an article from a local paper which tells of a pair of twins from Gloucester who were on Good Hope. The article goes on to say that eight from the area were killed when the two ships went down, and this would be a tribute to them.

Ray

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ray S said:

I have been thinking of doing a pair of ships on one sea base, Good Hope and Monmouth

Hello Ray, you are very welcome.

I took a quick look at the stories behind your cruisers, and feel they are a very worthy entry in this build.

I'll take part if it runs... 

Tony one of our local shops here has those ICM Anzac figures for $2.00 a box I can grab a couple and post em if you want...

Drop me a PM.

Cheers

Plasto

• Like 1

• 3 months later...