Eric Brown's medals saved for the nation

HP42

Just found this on the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-38104385 Looks like the Fleet Air Arm Museum have been given money to acquire Eric Brown's medals and log books. Brilliant!

:thanks: to the generous anonymous donor. I've just finished reading 'Wings on my sleeve' and what a truly amazing life he had. I was fortunate enough to meet and have a quick chat with him at Duxford some years back. A very nice guy and a real legend who's sorely missed.

• Like 9

Anonymous....I thought it was the museum.

Whilst I do see this as a good thing I have to wonder what the museum's business model is since  in my opinion it is expensive and they have got greedy ....just look at the loss of the model shows .....which of course is now the armies gain .

But then dont get me started on the navies PR.:angry:

20 hours ago, junglierating said:

Whilst I do see this as a good thing I have to wonder what the museum's business model is since  in my opinion it is expensive and they have got greedy ....just look at the loss of the model shows .....which of course is now the armies gain .

Quoting the BBC report:

"A spokesman for the museum said: "We are delighted to announce that we have been able to secure the medals and log books of Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown following the intervention of a generous donor, who wishes to remain anonymous."

My guess is the donor probably still technically owns them but they are loaned and displayed in the museum in perpetuity.

Personally I think the log books are the biggest prize here, medals are symbols and whilst they are important, they're a token in recognition of something far greater. The log books contain clues to how he earned the medals. In my time I've been lucky enough to don a set of white cotton gloves and examine numerous ancient artefacts in museums. The opportunity to either read the log books or see a copy/transcript of the original document would be fascinating, though I've no real chance of seeing these first hand.

Staying with Eric and his exploits, I recently signed up for Audible, it's an Amazon company that provides talking books and you can just sign in using your Amazon account. You can get a free 30 day trial with a free book and even keep the audio book if you decide not to continue beyond the traial. As it happens I've kept mine on and even bought a few more credits. 'Wings on My Sleeve' was the second book I bought, it's beautifully written and equally well narrated (though not by Eric himself). Currently listening to 'The Vulcan boys' which is an OK listen but 'The Ministry of ungentlemanly warfare' was utterly astounding and made the journey to and from work a pleasure. Thought I'd mention it, no vested interest, thought I'd pass it on. B)

• Like 1

On 06/12/2016 at 11:50 PM, junglierating said:

I had a brush with the RN's PR people a few years ago.  I was making an item for the Discovery Channel concerning helicopters and spoke to a Captain in the MOD's press office to see whether we could get filming access at Culdrose or, preferably, at sea, and was more or less, and not too politely, told to get stuffed.  I then spoke to a Flight Lieutenant in the RAF's press office and was instantly given access to RAF St. Mawgen, including interviews with key personnel, flight time in a Sea King, fun in the simulator, additional stock footage in case there was anything we couldn't get on the day AND, most importantly when you are working with a film crew, a free lunch in the USAF canteen on the station.  Happy days. 

The only downside was that they wouldn't let me keep the lovely kid leather gloves that we were issued with as part of the flying kit!

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:46 PM, HP42 said:

Staying with Eric and his exploits, I recently signed up for Audible, it's an Amazon company that provides talking books and you can just sign in using your Amazon account. You can get a free 30 day trial with a free book and even keep the audio book if you decide not to continue beyond the traial. As it happens I've kept mine on and even bought a few more credits. 'Wings on My Sleeve' was the second book I bought, it's beautifully written and equally well narrated (though not by Eric himself). Currently listening to 'The Vulcan boys' which is an OK listen but 'The Ministry of ungentlemanly warfare' was utterly astounding and made the journey to and from work a pleasure. Thought I'd mention it, no vested interest, thought I'd pass it on. B)

I'm having some of that.. Thanks for telling us!

• Like 2