Airfix 1/72 Mustang

First kit I've built in years and the first ever kit I've airbrushed. I know it's far too weathered for this aircraft which I believe never saw active service as it was built in 1945.  I picked up this starter kit for around £4 as the paints were missing.  It's not perfect but I'm happy with it and more importantly enjoyed building it.  I've bought a load of cheap 1/72 Airfix kits to practice with.  Criticism welcomed as I've a lot to learn.

Airfix 1/72 MustangAirfix 1/72 MustangAirfix 1/72 MustangAirfix 1/72 MustangAirfix 1/72 Mustang

• Like 26

For some reason, Mustangs suit RAF paint schemes. This is a really nice model, clean and definitely not too weathered!

Keep on practicing! Great show!

JR

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, appreciate your comments.  Looking at the other builds on here, I am in awe, I guess you never build the perfect one though as there's always something new to learn with this hobby.   The most important thing is my son William has now got the bug, in fact he's done 10 kits in the time it took me to do this!

Guess I should have given some explanation of my techniques.  In short.....post shaded the main camo, added chipping with very fine brush, weathered with chalky pastels.  Didn't do a panel line wash with the Airfix panel lines being so pronounced.  

Going to give a well weathered Zero a try next.....maybe that will get the weathered look out of my system :-)

Out of interest what is people view on the hardness of the line between the camo colours?  Too hard or right for scale?

Edited by wheezi
  • Like 1

I think that looks fantastic.  I actually don't think the weathering/shading is overdone at all.

The demarcation in the camo looks great too.

Myself, I'm a little lazy with the airbrush and tend to get a more fuzzy look than it really should be. :unsure:

• Like 1

Too weather? Yea na you're pulling our leg Wheezie, she looks fantastic. You've build a brilliant Mustang IV so keep it up as you're onto a winner.

I use bluetac worms with masking in between for my lines which gives a soft line, though often enough parts come up at hard. Honestly in 1/72 it's perfectly fine to have either as it scales down and I have to get he worms pretty thin. Spitfires are tight little beggers to get the tac around but fun.

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Like 1

Saw the first picture and my first thought was 'FIERCE with that shark mouth' and my second, simply 'wow, I like that'. And then I read on and discover it's your first attempt with an airbrush?! Not entirely sure I believe that. Weathering? Spot on...

• Like 1