Mig Thinner for Washes/Mig Ammo Odourless Thinner

GazB

I have a question that's proven a little confusing. For a long time I've had a bottle of Mig Productions Thinner for Washes, but this stuff seems to be nigh impossible to get anymore. Everywhere lists it out of stock, and Mig Productions itself doesn't seem to have a store anymore.

All I can find is the Ammo Odourless Enamel Thinner, which I've no problem getting provided that it is similar to the Mig Productions Thinner in its softness and use with pigments (I use it fix them) and washes. 

Has anyone had any experience with both and is there any real difference between them? I'd really like to avoid harsh turps and stuff if I can.

Gaz

Mig productions stopped trading earlier in the year. Never did get a response from them....

There are two other products from  other Spanish companies that will do the same job.

From AK interactive  Odorless Turpentine:  http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/odorless-turpentine-100-mlbr-ak-050-22212-p.asp

or Mig Ammo Odourless Enamel thinners: http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/enamel-odourless-thinner-100-mlbr-amig-2019-21295-p.asp

I suspect all three products are very similar, if not the same.

Paul

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, little-cars said:

Mig productions stopped trading earlier in the year. Never did get a response from them....

There are two other products from  other Spanish companies that will do the same job.

From AK interactive  Odorless Turpentine:  http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/odorless-turpentine-100-mlbr-ak-050-22212-p.asp

or Mig Ammo Odourless Enamel thinners: http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/enamel-odourless-thinner-100-mlbr-amig-2019-21295-p.asp

Paul

Is the Mig enamel thinner like the Model master thinner ?

Thanks

Rick

On 12/4/2016 at 8:54 PM, little-cars said:

Paul

Cheers, Paul.

I get the feeling they're more or less the same just rebranded. Seems like Mig stuff is forever changing names. 

Gaz

Not changing name,  Mig has moved companies twice. From Mig Productions, to AK interactive,then to Mig  AMMO.

The original Mig Productions has now stopped trading, the other two are still going strong with new products coming out regularly.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had experience with the Abteilung Odourless Thinner? It's the cheapest of the three 100ml thinner bottles I've found, and is described as having a soft formulation.

Question is, is it in the same, less aggressive category as the aforementioned thinners?

Gaz

If you look at the range you will see that  Abteilung is a range of oil paints, so the thinner is for meant them.

I can think of three way to check. to find out which thinner is right for you is to do a side by side comparison between the different thinners...request the safety data sheets, or ask the manufacturers. 

Paul

• Like 1

6 hours ago, little-cars said:

If you look at the range you will see that  Abteilung is a range of oil paints, so the thinner is for meant them.

I can think of three way to check. to find out which thinner is right for you is to do a side by side comparison between the different thinners...request the safety data sheets, or ask the manufacturers. 

Paul

Ah, I see. Thanks :)

Gaz

5 hours ago, colin said:

Or just buy a 750ml bottle of Bartoline Premium low odour white spirit at a fraction of the cost of the others, and that to me does the same thing

Could be an option :)

Is it an aggressive thinner or quite soft on your work?

Gaz

20 hours ago, GazB said:

Is it an aggressive thinner or quite soft on your work?

Gaz

Another vote here for bartoline premium low odour spirit.

A bit pricy compared to normal stuff from B&Q but around what you're gonna pay for 100ml of spanish stuff. 

Not aggressive at all, use it to clean up all my mig/ak ammo type washes. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 11:29 AM, little-cars said:

Gaz,

Checked through the boxes of Mig stuff awaiting checking before they go back on the website.

I've found three bottles of the original Mig thinners (red label), let me know if you would like any of them.

Paul

Hey, Paul. Many thanks for finding those and offering.

I'm afraid I've already purchased some AK thinners, heh. But much appreciated all the same :)

Gaz

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2017 at 11:40 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Another vote here for bartoline premium low odour spirit.

A bit pricy compared to normal stuff from B&Q but around what you're gonna pay for 100ml of spanish stuff. 

Not aggressive at all, use it to clean up all my mig/ak ammo type washes. 

Hi Tony et al, 

So am I right, the oil & turps (for want of another name) washes are meant to go over acrylics? If so how about washes for enamels? I ask because I've used Abteilung burnt umber with odourless turpentine (W&N) and it ate in to the paint :(.

M