I have been looking at all your builds for long enough - I had better offer up some of mine

I hope I am not causing problems by deviating from the norm of one build per thread. This is a sample of my output this year. The problem with having a number of themes is that there are plenty of gaps that require filling. 

I have had the Special Hobby Boulton Paul Balliol in the intray for some time but was prompted to deal with it having seen the excellent build of the Sea Balliol on here.

Here is the result. Overall the kit was not too bad with the exception being the fit of the canopy which left something to be desired.

BPB2.jpg

Another 1950's trainer is the lovely Airfix Jet provost. The only issue I had with this kit was with the decals, which are on the thick side to allow the dayglo pink to register properly. This means that they do not like curves and are prone to splintering. This means that at the moment the dayglo on the wing tanks and the leading edges is missing. Incidentally does anyone know of a suitable paint?

JP7.jpg

Another Special Hobby kit to finally see the light of day fully assembled is the CAC Boomerang. This went together very well and I am particularly pleased with the result.

Boomer20.jpg

Continuing with the trainer theme I have been picking up a number of Eastern Express boxings of Frog kits this year - one in particular being the Miles Master. The weakness of these Eastern Express releases tends to be the canopy glazing which can be very hit and miss. Fortunately Falcon make several sets of replacement canopy moldings and a set I bought for a Spitfire MkXIV cockpit had a replacement Master cockpit canopy. Sorted!

Master15.jpg

I have had a lot of fun tracking down and building old Matchbox kits and there are three in this selection. The first is a twin tub Meteor which I have wanted for a while. This needed a bit of work to achieve the desired result but I am reasonably happy with it.

Meteor20.jpg

The second took quite a while to get hold of - another trainer: the North American Buckeye. Quite a basic kit but it goes together well and whilst there is a more detailed kit now available this one serves my purposes.

Buckeye1_3.jpg

The third Matchbox kit was an addition to the early jets theme, the Douglas F3d Skyknight. Again a basic kit that does the job.

Skyknight1_3.jpg

One of my areas of interest is Eastern Bloc aviation and I have been able to add three subjects to the collection.

The first is a very old kit, but an absolute cracker. It is a Czech kit - not sure of the vintage - under the Kovozavody Prostejov brand of the Aero L29 Delfin. This kit had zero issues and partners my L39 Albatross 

L29.jpg

The second is a Polish kit that has to be made from the heaviest plastic I have come across. That being said it is reasonably well detailed and adds a PZL TS11 Iskra to the hangar.

TS11.jpg

The third is something I have wanted for some time, a representative of the Sukhoi Su15 family, in this case the Su23 2wo seater. The kit is a Pioneer kit from Turkey, and whilst basic is an absolute cracker.

Flagon9.jpg

Two more of my themes have been added to. The first is to have representation of each of the major Mks of Spitfire. Here is the MkVII from Italeri:

MkVIItwo.jpg

The second is my prototypes collection and the Airfix new tooling of the Gladiator enabled me to produce this. K5200. The Glad prototype did not have the enclosed cockpit and was based on the Gauntlet. This involved reshaping the fuselage and cutting the cockpit glazing too suit. I am slightly disappointed in the finish as the paint I used has too much of a fleck to it. But here it is.

K520021.jpg

Saving the best until last. This has to be one of the best kits I have ever got my hands on and adds to the early jets/FAA/De Havilland themes - the Sea Venom from Cyber Hobby. I managed to get hold of one for a reasonable price in the HLJ new year sale.

Ven4.jpg

I readily admit to being in the "if it looks like a duck" fraternity and resort to artistic licence on a regular basis!

Edited by Sergei
Text editing
  • Like 62

In the first batch of photos I referred to one of my interests being prototypes which has been a fun theme.

I have half a dozen or so at the moment and here they are starting with the grand-daddy of the Harrier, the P.1127

P11275.jpg

Then we have the XP51 Mustang prototype based on the lovely Academy kit.

XP514.jpg

Two of my favourites are the Mosquito prototype and K5054 using the Tamiya and Airfix kits respectively

Mosquito44.jpg

Mosquito41.jpg

The old Airfix kit of the Westland Whirlwind provided the basis of this prototype which I just think looks so cool in all over silver

L6845final.jpg

Whirlwind6.jpg

and finally here is the Hurricane prototype based on the new Airfix Mk.1 tooling

K508313.jpg

I have the Beaufighter, Swordfish and MRCA (Tornado) in the pipeline.

Edited by Sergei
  • Like 10

Hi Sergei,

A nice diverse collection if I may say so. I have mentioned on the BM site that there is nothing wrong with some old Matchbox/Airfix kits and others. I particularly like the Jet Provost, Master and Meteor - by the by, small point, Meteor Night Fighters weren't fitted with ejection seats so no warning triangles needed but that's not a major fault and will be overlooked as the models are great. Keep up the interesting work. :D

albamac:viking:.......frustrated Noresman

"Logic will get you from point A to point B. Imagination will take you everywhere".  A. Einstein

A very nice selection of models Sergei and I could not pick a favourite out as they are all interesting builds. I keep looking at the Balliol and I am now seriously tempted.

Martin

Very nice, an impressive collection.

In answer to your question about dayglo paint, I use Tamiya dayglo orange decanter from the original rattle can. For some reason it isn't available in their glass jars. As you probably know, the trick is to build up very thin layers with this stuff as it is very transparent.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 5:56 PM, Sergei said:

In the first batch of photos I referred to one of my interests being prototypes which has been a fun theme.

You mentioned you like prototypes.....well it just so happens a proposed Group Build made the calendar next year that's right up your alley. ;)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004893-prototypes-experimentals-world-firsts-record-breakers-gb/

Really dig that T-2 by the way.  :thumbsup:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1