1-48 Testors/Hawk Lysander ASR 277 Sqn

When I built my Air-Sea Rescue Avro Anson last year as part of the "Aircraft my Father fixed" series, I did a lot of research on the underwing dinghy stores that it was supposed to have carried. Lacking any definitive pictures of the Anson so equipped I relied upon some photos of Lysanders with pylon equipped dinghy stores. It seemed an obvious extension to then get hold of a Lysander and build one equipped the same way! So I did...

I managed to get hold od an old Testors/Hawk kit:

570410_900.jpg

Which, although basic was IMO good enough for what I wanted to do. Elsewhere on this forum you'll find a quite awesome upgrade of this kit from hendie over here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001898-148-lysander-mk-ii-1960s-hawk-version-can-i-have-a-transfer-please-bob I can't hope to match that level of craftsmanship, but here is my little contribution to the subject.

I replaced the figures in the kit with one from PJ Productions for the pilot and another from the spares box for the gunner. The dinghy stores were scratch built. I opened up the landing lights forward of the wheels and capped them with some shaped acrylic rod.

DSC_6948.JPG

and I replaced the propellor with a photoetch prop-blur to add some visual interest. So here it is...

DSC_6984.JPG

DSC_6985.JPG

DSC_6986.JPG

DSC_6987.JPG

DSC_6992.JPG

DSC_6993.JPG

DSC_6995.JPG

DSC_6996.JPG

I can't say its one of my best, but after the stress of the Oil Platform and Eagle Transporter builds over the summer leading up to Telford, it was nice to get back to something simple and pleasing!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 29

• 1 year later...