Herc Mk1, Best base kit?

Stuflyer

Hi All, my partner was a "forces brat " and was evacuated from Cyprus in 1974 at the age of five. I want to build a diorama of her evacuation in 1/72 as a present but don't know a whole lot abut Hercs. I have the squadron info and some pictures from the internet showing the two tone brown camo, but that's as far as it goes for the aeroplane itself. I can't find a single Mk1 RAF herc kit. Can anyone advise the best way ( Kit / aftermarket / wood and fille / backhanders to Hogwarts )  to make one correct for Op. Ablaut?

Ta muchly, oh Hercsperts.

• Like 1

Simplistically there isn't a single perfect 1/72 scale kit for Albert.

Stay away from the Esci because it is the worst of the lot (the nose is all wrong).

There are pros and cons to both the old Airfix as well as the Italeri (and their various re-pops). Certainly the Italeri is easier to work with but it does have some major errors (not least the lack of fuselage 'chine', the fin being set too far forward, and the nacelles being too short and the wrong shape. If money were no option I would combine the Airfix fuselage with the Italeri wings and tailplanes

I discussed the problems here.

WRT Op Ablaut we discussed the "Crud 'n' Custard" (Dark Earth / Light Stone / Black) schemes here.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, The Wooksta! said:

A mate has obtained an Airfix Hercules gunship and I immediately suggested an RAF one in the scheme Tony posted as a gunship in Aden...

Hmmm! An AC-130 in the sand & stone finish? Like the sound of that!!:D

Allan

• Like 1