White Print!

docipaul

That sounds good and easy. However I know that only few types of white ink can be easily used with every printer because generally white ink is denser, Have you developed a special white ink ? If so, will this be put on the market ? Or did you manage to find a commercially available product that worked well ? If such a product is around, I'd happily buy a cheap B/W printer only to print white...

It all makes sense now if you're using that OKI printer. I've been interested in the OKI white toner printers for some time, however their cost is really justified only if thinking of a business, the average enthusiast would find such an expense difficult to bear (they cost over £2k here)

Best of luck with your new enterprise, hope to see more of your work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Are the decals you print solid, I mean they can be placed over a dark colour and still look white? 

Yes, they are solid. You can also check the video of this on my facebook page: Philippine Military Scale Models.

4EC9200D-3311-43F4-A9B0-8908F92CF9F3_zps

Edited by docipaul
  • Like 1

Hi Fishbone, since I found this printer, everything is a breeze now. The problem with Alps is the white cartridges that are very difficult to source and the spare parts of the machine. For screen printing, I was quoted with crazy amount of money and turned down many time by big companies asking for minimum (which is more than maximum for my taste) quantities and companies that asking for my artworks with a payment of my name in the instructions of the decals. So I decided to source a printer that can do white prints.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks brilliant have you found the smallest size yet?

I'm asking because when I need very small type I use MS Word's sizing abilities

When it gives font sizes it might give a minimum of, perhaps 5

If it does that I can highlight it and then input the size I want

I've managed visibility at 2 points on some little placards but the quality is only just acceptable in normal printing

I'm very pleased that we have new white printing coming, well done

• 1 month later...

I have used one of these Oki printers, thanks to a local company. The system is designed for iron on transfers, so the white is the last of the colour process - you end up with a reverse decal - have you managed alter the software and print the white first then the colours? 

On 2/3/2017 at 11:07 AM, Blacktjet said:

I have used one of these Oki printers, thanks to a local company. The system is designed for iron on transfers, so the white is the last of the colour process - you end up with a reverse decal - have you managed alter the software and print the white first then the colours? 

Hi Backjet, the problem is that you will use two printer for this (as recommended on the Oki website, one for the white print and the other will be for the coloured print), because you are using 2 printer, you are prone for mis-register print. I think if you have a large artwork, it will be fine but if you have small artwork, it will be difficult. I tried it and I failed so better to have 2 set of decals, one coloured and one white backing decals.

On 05/02/2017 at 3:14 PM, docipaul said:

Hi Backjet, the problem is that you will use two printer for this (as recommended on the Oki website, one for the white print and the other will be for the coloured print), because you are using 2 printer, you are prone for mis-register print. I think if you have a large artwork, it will be fine but if you have small artwork, it will be difficult. I tried it and I failed so better to have 2 set of decals, one coloured and one white backing decals.

I think the machine you are using is different to the one I used. The one I used was a + white, it printed the colours and the white in one run, thus giving perfect registration. The problem for decal printing is that the software is designed for printing iron on transfers so it prints the colour layers in reverse order, with white being the top layer. I was just wondering if there was a way of modifying the process, so that it prints the white layer first. Oki are missing an opportunity to sell the machines for small run decal printing and for decal proof printing.

Have to say that I'm not impressed by the printing quality shown at the smallest font size.

Have you tried to use a vectorial drawing software instead of Photoshop ? Wonder if this can improve things or if the effect seen in the picture is really due to the limitations of the printer

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Have to say that I'm not impressed by the printing quality shown at the smallest font size.

Have you tried to use a vectorial drawing software instead of Photoshop ? Wonder if this can improve things or if the effect seen in the picture is really due to the limitations of the printer

I'm not sure that the quality of the print will change if you vector the artwork. Without magnifying and just looking with your eyes, the print look ok with me, remember, these artwork are in 72 scale and will definitely much better in bigger scales.