BMW Flugelrad V1

Martian

For some time now I have been looking for something bonkers enough to go with my Haunebu model that I built last year and shortly before Telford I found something that I feel will fit the bill nicely. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the BMW Flugelrad 1 V-1!

Believe it or not, this thing actually was built and did fly, albeit very badly, from Prague-Kbley airfield in the latter half of WW2. The aircraft was a sort of jet powered autogyro for want of a better description. The exhaust from it's engine being deflected upwards onto a ring of variable pitch fan blades to give the lift required for take off. The jet blast deflector was also used to control the aircraft directionally and here it seems was the weak point of the design. According to eyewitness reports, the aircraft was able to leave the ground quite quickly and flew for about 300 meters but was very hard to control longitudinally, resulting in some very hard landings. The latter addition of a fin and rudder to the design failed to have any significant improvement on this issue.

Although I have yet to find a photograph of the machine, The project was subject to intense secrecy, the German Magazine "Flugzeug" does do a very good special on these German disc aircraft designs and contains some good descriptions of the machine as well as some drawings.

Reports differ as to the colour scheme on this aircraft. One states that it was unpainted whereas another says that it was yellow. My instinct leans towards NMF with some areas of yellow to improve the machine's visibility although a camouflaged What If? finish could be fun as well and I am sure you guys will have your own ideas about this! A civilian scheme for Eva Hitler's new sporty little runabout perhaps or Whacky Races 1946 style?

I have had the Unicraft kit of this type for a few years now but not wanting to spend the rest of my life filling bubbles in the resin, I decided to go with the much better cast Planet version. What actually gets added to this build will depend largely what more I can turn up by was of reference material. My hopes aren't high here but we can but try.

If all goes well I may add the Planet kit of the Flugelrad V2 to this thread. Apparently this was also built but suffered from the same control issues as the V1

As always, all comments, sensible or otherwise are welcome.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

Wha- What have they been putting in the domestic water supply over there in Poole? :lol:

...and why does this remind me of NCC-1701? A conspiracy begins...:hmmm:

Either way this will be highly enjoyable. Go Martian!

Tony

• Like 3

Hmmm, a runabout for Mr Spock? Interesting! and congratulations on the first silly post of the build! I expect the usual suspects will be along before too long. We may even get a special guest star appearance from the good General himself if we are lucky.

Martian

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cngaero said:

Now there's an unusual wee beastie.

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I saw a Unicrap kit built up by a friend once. She had finished it in an operational scheme and it looked rather convincing.

3 hours ago, wyverns4 said:

:blink: Bonkers, :shocked: completely, :mental: bonkers. I'm in:winkgrin:.

So :drink:and :popcorn: at the ready!

Christian, exiled you know where

I thought you would be!

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Everyday Martian runaround....

I was wondering who would be the first to make that point.

15 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Bonkers. Completely bonkers.

And the plane is a bit weird as well.

Thank you so much, I shall take that as a compliment!

Martian

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I saw a Unicrap kit built up by a friend once. She had finished it in an operational scheme and it looked rather convincing.

Unicrap..........Oh yes I remember them well, Muggins here bought their Trent Meteor conversion.

Good luck with this one though, it does look to be a much better prospect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cngaero said:

Unicrap..........Oh yes I remember them well, Muggins here bought their Trent Meteor conversion.

Good luck with this one though, it does look to be a much better prospect.

I would have to be really!

Martian

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This thread pleases me greatly!  :fuhrer::mental::thumbsup:

I thought it would somehow but then it didn't take a Sherlock Holmes to work that one out!

Martian

10 minutes ago, Pin said:

I was more about the model this guy build from Unicraft kit. 

Yes he did a fine job! I am easily distracted though!

Martian

44 minutes ago, Crossofiron1971 said:

Now, I thought the flying pancake was as far as bonkers went but OMG, perhaps they might have tried something along the lines of a Klingon Bird of Prey??

It would never surprise me at all, after all, the idea of the Klingon craft must have come from somewhere!

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hmmm...

Und, Herr Professor, bitte,

Zer emergency exit would be?

I think I'll follow at a safe distance,

with a fire extinguisher. Just in case.

I don't know Pete, I am still trying to figure out how one got into this thing let alone out of it in a hurry.

If I can find out where to get another figure from, methinks Heidi the Panzer Girl needs to make another appearance.

Martian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Glad to see you indulging your bonkers side again mate, the last bonkers-build really was a joy to follow.....If I can help out with any bits & bobs, just give me a shout.  :coolio:

Thanks Sgt. with your comprehensive knowledge of the small scale figure world, perhaps you can suggest a source of panzer girl type figures? This build surely has to have one!

Martian

Edit: It is most gratifying to see the Bonkers Brigade out in force so early in the thread! I mean, I haven't even started prepping the resin yet!

33 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Hmmm...

Und, Herr Professor, bitte,

Zer emergency exit would be?

I think I'll follow at a safe distance,

with a fire extinguisher. Just in case.

It's German Pierre,there would have been a very efficient way of escape.

Any way,where's it's blue and white BMW badges Herr Hale?(says he who's personal Panzerwagen has one on it's bonnet and one on it's boot lid)

Edited by Miggers
verdammt neuer keybort.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You could also figure out where they

kept the fuel on this thing. It's not

as if they could fit drop tanks.

I vote for in the tyres.

In the centre body I guess. As this thing was more in the line of a technology demonstrator, It would not have needed any great range.

Martian

2 minutes ago, Miggers said:

It's German Pierre,there would have been a very efficient way of escape.

Any way,where's it's blue and white BMW badges Herr Hale?(says he who's personal Panzerwagen has one on it's bonnet and one on it's boot lid)

Interesting thought Miggers. I must confess that putting a BMW sticker on the display base had occurred to me.

Martian

• Like 2