Nakajima B5N2 Kate

Pappy

G'day people,

Well, this is another stalled build that I am attempting to progress. I started this build over at ARC for their "Far out, far East GB"

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/292978-nakajima-b5n2-kate/

I have decided to try and kick this one into touch now that I have the opportunity for some bench time. This is basically where I got up to:

DSCN3318_zpsdxym1ofj.jpg

DSCN3319_zpsuc9wu98y.jpg

I have cracked on a little and the rest of the camouflage has been applied

DSCN3537_zpsiwbgtp3t.jpg

DSCN3539_zpsljsqb8gx.jpg

I have decided on a less tightly defined distemper type upper colour over tightly defined squiggles.

DSCN3540_zpsv1yj08hu.jpg

There seems to be a great deal of variation between the various embarked squadrons. Period pictures clearly show that the ground crews has access to spray equipment but the pics seem to indicate the the patterns were random and not tightly defined. I am just happy to get on with finishing this one so not too fussed if it is not 100% accurate. Likewise the gear well colour, I opted for an 'aotake' type finish, but in reality this was probably just the underside colour or natural aluminum. I am not claiming that it is accurate, I just like the contrast.

Of course just as things were just going smoothly I happened to apply a blob of silver with a wayward finger!

I sanded off the blob but this area of the fuselage will need to be re-sprayed

DSCN3541_zpsnuaxktrd.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Nice to see this one on the move again 

Martin H

G'day Martin,

Thanks very much. It was annoying that I had got so close but ran out of time.

G'day people,

Well I have manged to forge ahead once more. I had to carry out some remedial painting due to an errant blob of silver paint. I sanded off the blob but this required taking the paint back to  bare plastic,

DSCN3541_zpsnuaxktrd.jpg

After some remedial spraying, I managed to repair the blemish,

DSCN3542_zpsxjdgum4g.jpg

Airfix provides decals for the wing fuel tank caps, I decided it would be easier to just paint them and avoid any potential silvering issues

DSCN3543_zpskbkraer7.jpg

It was now time to start the decal application process. The main gear doors had their identification numbers applied

DSCN3544_zpseiz7re2j.jpg

Finally, the engine cowl was given a coat of gloss in preparation for the application of the aircraft identification number,

DSCN3545_zpssszz8id0.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

Very nice camo' :)

Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

G'day people,

I managed to apply some gloss today.

DSCN3573_zps7dnis48e.jpg

DSCN3572_zpsxt08fbdf.jpg

I'll give this 48 hours to cure before adding the decals,

cheers,

Pappy

2 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Nice paintwork Wheel wells look spot on Looking forward to the finish 

Martin H

G'day Martin,

Thanks very much. I don't think the aotake finish is correct but I like the look. I am certainly no IJN aircraft expert, but I suspect that the wheel wells were probably the underside colour or natural metal, but aotake was a preservative coating applied to some of the interior parts of the structure so I just used some artistic license. It also breaks up the large expanse of grey on the underside. I am keen to push onto the decals but I want to give the clear a couple of days to harden.

Waiting when the end is so close is probably the hardest bit,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

A small update today,

The navigation lights on the upper wing surface and wingtips were picked out. My question about the teardrop shaped features on the upper wing surface has been answered and these are indeed additional nav lights. The colour of the lights corresponds with the wingtip light, so red for left, green for right.

DSCN3586_zpsorlmqyqi.jpg

DSCN3587_zpsopebkotc.jpg

DSCN3588_zpswntwl1xn.jpg

The lower teardrop features are still a mystery it seems so I have just left these alone. Decals tomozz,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

G'day people,

Today was decal day. My example has relatively few decals so the application of the decals did not take very long.

DSCN3597_zpsddzm83ly.jpg

The new generation of Airfix decals are very thin and in perfect register. I used some decal solvent to get the decals to snuggle down into the panel lines

DSCN3598_zps3e28x5ov.jpg

There is a rectangular recess within the area covered by the lower wing meatballs, the decal solvent was going to need some help with these so I carefully sliced along the inside edges and applied more solvent which seemed to do the trick.

DSCN3599_zpsdcpxzjtm.jpg

I always seem to struggle with fuselage tail bands. The band ends met up and it looks squarely applied, but due to the tapering curve, I ended up with a couple of wrinkles. I think I will mask and spray these next time.

DSCN3600_zpsbtglbjma.jpg

Finally, the red outlines that are applied to the underside (for the fuel tank panels?) required some care. The decals are commendably thin and the decals are not just slabs of decal film but actually consist of  hollow squares. I used plenty of water  while positioning these as the Airfix decals are very 'grabby' which could easily result in torn decals if one is careless

DSCN3601_zpsflk0b5do.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3