HU. 816 Squadron RAN 31 Bravo

NAVY870

My long winded no doubt tardy submission to this GB will be to attempt to beat this godawful thing

1_zps5ivgxlxn.jpg

into something resembling 836 a Wessex 31B of HU-816 Squadron RAN during national task operations mid 1986

A few shots of the lady herself

2_zpsi7kaekwu.jpg

4_zpsghwa1dvg.jpg

She currently resides in the RANFAA museum collection at HMAS Albatross Nowra. The museum director a Mr Terry Heatherington (my old training chief and

one natures true gentlemen) gave me unlimited access to the old dear so I'll have no excuse for cocking this build up!

8_zpsood7nhvm.jpg

A few purchases, the etch is for a 5 but there's a few usable bits. The decal sheet is superb

5_zps2m9knjm4.jpg

Some required bits lifted from the HAS.3 kit and some leftovers from a Gallery UH-34. The drop tank is the work of Ian McGonagle and are first class

6_zps6mpqylyp.jpg

And some book learnin

7_zpsal6rp4pp.jpg

One cannot continue without mention of this bunch of pirates, HU.816 Squadron Royal Australian Navy under the Command of LCDR Ken Alderman. This shot was taken at RAAF

East Sale in 1986 during one of our frequent flyaways supporting those steely eyed but delightful chaps of the SAS

9_zpshmrsfxap.jpg

Muggins here is eight in from the right, back row.

Busily making mods to the fuselage halves.

• Like 6

NOW we're cooking!

Looking forward to this immensely, I might be looking at this one too much and forget my own

The museum one, gorgeous as all Wessii are but is the tail wheel a bit down?

(Apologies for my ocd behaviour)

External tanks yummy, wonder if........

Best get on with it.

First job was to open up the relevant holes in the fuselage, get the fuel points in the right place (Aft gravity point goes above the pressure

fueling not Italeri not half way down the flipping tail)

I chose to ignore the mismatch in the fuselage half where I guess the different window fit would go in, big black mark there.

_C032216_zpsu52uyuey.jpg

Started fitting some brass into t office

_C032212_zpsj1axpzoe.jpg

and a splash of darkness

_C052226_zps6rfyzkeu.jpg

Some more brass down in the foul smelling rabble area. I made up a small box for the D2 invertor housing and the outline for the seat that

goes over the auto hover and stab black boxery

_C052224_zpszdpyx1iz.jpg

Noted the cabin roof bears little resemblance to a 31B's (no oil leaks for a start!) We didnt have the padding and the tail rotor

drive shaft housing is noticeably missing. A let over from the Gallery kit is being adapted to suit.

_C032217_zpshum91pvl.jpg

• Like 5

Some etch in the office

_C092232_zpsp0tajdyw.jpg

Finished the stab box and added some mesh (yes it does look a bit rickety)

_C092236_zpsuvj7xbga.jpg

_C092239_zpsavktdwx4.jpg

Made up a bit of card to look like the great lump of marine ply we used to protect the floor

_C092243_zpss4g4emap.jpg

_C092244_zpsj9jfxu3d.jpg

And hacked out the sonar hole and covered it back up

_C092248_zpsnupl4a3y.jpg

_C092251_zps6rz21b4k.jpg

_C092255_zpsukk9ga0g.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, abat said:

Nice work there Steve - expertly neutered. Although to 31B's were without it, the early 31A's do appear to have sonar. Is that correct?

31A's had sonar, early 31B's had the same sonar as the A

Then the B's got a different sonar and a wee radar scanner on the cockpit roof.

The the Seakings arrived in 1976 and the B models became dump trucks.... sorry "utility Helos"

• Like 1

Interesting update there Steve. I was at the Queensland Air Museum in July looking at what they claimed to be the last Mk31A . Apparently not enough upgrade kits were bought so it was obsoleted to an instructional airframe when the others were converted to B's.

Colin

13 hours ago, Colin W said:

Interesting update there Steve. I was at the Queensland Air Museum in July looking at what they claimed to be the last Mk31A . Apparently not enough upgrade kits were bought so it was obsoleted to an instructional airframe when the others were converted to B's.

Colin

27 is indeed the last 31A. It was held in storage at H de H at Bankstown before being released to the RANFAA museum in 1984.

We rebuilt it wit left over bits and put it on display.

At some stage an idiot gave it to QAM without a thought to its significance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

27 is indeed the last 31A. It was held in storage at H de H at Bankstown before being released to the RANFAA museum in 1984.

We rebuilt it wit left over bits and put it on display.

At some stage an idiot gave it to QAM without a thought to its significance.

Is there any chance you could get it back?

Or is it being looked after well where it is?

Hi

Actually the sign by 27 at the QAM notes that it is on loan from the RANFAA so presumably they can have it back one day . It is being well looked after . 

Colin 

• Like 2