Tamiya 1:32 F4U-1 Finished at last

This is my first ever 1:32 build, and my first post on here, bar my introduction (in which I stated I don't build 1:32).

I usually only do 1:48, as I find the large surfaces a bit intimidating in terms of painting / finish, but this was a gift. That said - I do love interiors - so this was a real treat. 

As I am sure many people will notice - there are a few screw-ups. I tend to rush, and got some bits on backwards or upside-down (see landing gear). Frustrating and embarrassing, but I will learn. Also - I am afraid to say I am not a big researcher - I just love the look of aircraft and love building models - so some of the markings and colourings are likely well off...  

All of that said - I was happy with this.

I don't have an airbrush - so this is all done with brushes or rattle cans (Molotow, Tamiya or Citadel). With some very basic whole panel pre shading with primer, and a load of spot washes, pin washes and afters with pigments and so on. 

As ever - I struggled not to go overboard with weathering - as I really enjoy that part of every build. Think I might have kept it just about bearable. 

All markings painted with rattle cans using Montex masks. 

Thanks for looking. Any notes most welcome. 

IMG_3481_zps4g6rf83k.jpg

IMG_3620_zpsx5kzkvet.jpg

IMG_4064_zpsm2da3cgb.jpg

IMG_4060_zps4vkjbxjh.jpg

IMG_4052_zps53ulljzw.jpg

• Like 22

Very nice indeed, Looks to me like you have conquered your fear of large areas! Great cockpit as well.

Good job!

ATB

Rick

Edited by Spad

Thanks for the comments. Very much appreciated.

Just realised, looking at the photos again, that I forgot to do a few small things - there are small panels at the wing fold totally missing and so on...  

Anyway - cheers again. Next up I will try a WIP. 

Best

Once again - thanks for all the reassurance. 

To clarify - brush work's only on small bits, most of the large surfaces are spray paint... 

And - now I think about it - very likely I put the port and starboard lights on backwards. A stellar achievement... 

Those rubber tires are odd - can't quite decide if I like them. Very hard to remove the mould seam on them... 

Thanks again! 

I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself.  OK, so you got some bit on the undercarriage on the wrong way - so what - I only looked carefully after you mentioned it.  I would never have noticed had you not said.

I built this exact model very recently myself and I think yours looks better than mine, so well done mate!

Regards

Dave