Help identifying an F-4F of JG71 Richthofen

DaveJL

Hello all,

I'm in need of some help in identifying a particular F-4F of JG71 'Richthofen'. I have decals for a jet that appear to have some bagpipe themed nose/intake art, but no instructions for them. I'm struggling to find any pictures online of this jet. Would anyone know which machine it was?

Thanks

Dave

34 minutes ago, exdraken said:

hmmm

any more hints?

color scheme, picture of the decals,timeframe, etc...

Unfortunately not mate! The decal has a piper with the Scottish flag and tartan kilt with some German writing. It may have been involved in some exercise, possibly at Leuchars during the 2000s but i'm just guessing there.

1 minute ago, Hook said:

I think I know what you mean - could it be JG 74's 38+40, marked for the last flight of Major Arno "Schwammerl" Pilz?

See these AirDoc decals:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev2/1801-1900/rev1899-AirDOC-adm72017/05.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

Not it Andre, but thanks for the link. I believe it's a one of the grey painted jets, possibly an ICE upgrade.

1 minute ago, scotthldr said:

Something is telling me it was applied for Neptune Warrior 2007 at Lossiemouth, it was on the intake splitter plate.

Cheers. Would you have any pictures of such?

1 minute ago, Creepy Pete said:

It's 38+46. Lots of nice pics here, including a close up of the artwork.

Excellent, thanks Pete!

On another note, what are the correct colours for an F-4F? Looks like dark ghost grey over light ghost grey to me.

Top is FS35237 for the darker color, and FS36320 for the lighter color. Bottom is FS36320 again and FS36375. PM me your email, and I'll send you a scan of the Airdoc instructions for the scheme.

Edited by Creepy Pete
Honolulu

34 minutes ago, Creepy Pete said:

Top is FS35237 for the darker color, and FS36320 for the lighter color. Bottom is FS36320 again and FS36375. PM me your email, and I'll send you a scan of the Airdoc instructions for the scheme.

Cheers Pete. Pm inbound.

Thanks Andre. From the pictures i've seen, the greys look a lot lighter than their FS number would suggest, to the point where, to my eye, the FS35237 looks to be more FS36320 and the FS36320 more like FS36375.

8 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Luftwaffe F-4's got dirty and tattered looking very quickly to the point that on some a/c the different colours aren't that distinguishable from one another.

Cheers Scott. Almost as dirty as the Hellenic jets!

• 2 weeks later...

Afraid I have to take exception to the "dirty jets" comment, gentlemen....

They didn't get dirty - they get interesting! There's WAY too much pristine paint work in the aviation world as it is.

Dirty air-frames RULE!! Long may they continue.....

Chris.