USN Skyraider wheelwells - colour query

Suddensky

Morning,

I'm working my way through Trumpeter's 1/32 A-1J Skyraider and I'm a bit uncertain about the colour of the wheelwells. I'm going with the kit option of 501 Baby of VA-145 whilst on USS Intrepid, and the painting guide shows the wheelwells and the insides of the landing gear covers as being interior green. I'm just a bit uncertain about this as I had automatically thought they would be white, which seems to be confirmed by having a quick scout about online. I thought that the general rule of thumb was: US + Navy + Vietnam + landing gear and wheelwells = white. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated before I start chucking paint around.

TIA,

Peter

Good morning, Peter

My understanding is that interior green had been associated with all blue colour scheme, which had been superseded by light gull gray/white scheme. I remember reading somewhere that white undercarriages, wheel wells and insides of undercarriage doors had been painted gloss (?) white, so that possible hydraulic leaks could be spotted immediately. I am not certain about the undercarriage doors edges, painted red to prevent injuries among mechanics and deck handlers, but I think these also appeared at about the same time. Whatever the case, interior green does not sound probable to me. Cheers

Jure

While in high school, I subscribed to a magazine called "Our Navy". I had earlier cone into possession of about sixty issues , courtesy of a neighbor who had learned of my interest in all things naval, so the publication had been around for quite some time and was pretty authoritative regarding the U.S. Navy (it may even have had some official sponsorship). The switch to the gray/white aircraft scheme was very well covered. I recall the introduction of white wheel wells coming some time later ( but before I left for college, and ended my relationship with Our Navy, in September, 1959). It was indeed described as facilitating the discovery of hydraulic leaks and fatigue cracks, both pretty difficult in those perennially in shadow darkish green wheel wells. So the green wheel wells seem to have survived the introduction of white undersides by a year or two. Not totally surprising when one recalls the many of the early white undersides were field re-paints.

As to the rest of the story, I flunked the Navy's eye test. 20/20 was a pre-requisite to command a ship in those days. Didn't seem to be much point to a naval career that did not include commanding ships. Ended up in Central Highland of Vietnam Nam with the U.S. Army.

• Like 1