CA 1/48th Dornier 17Z

Simon Cornes

I acquired one of these at SMW - because it seemed cheap, having forgotten that ICM's kit is probably much better! Anyway, its in Finnish AF markings and I would prefer Luftwaffe so my question is - are Owl decals any good? I am tempted to go for the much more expensive Techmod sheet because it includes canopy masking material but what's your opinion?

Thanks

Simon

Worth searching this and other sites for feedback. My personal experience of Owl decals was for an Me 110 nightfighter. They were horrible. Very stiff, and silvered badly. I only used specific codes and unit badges in the end.  Having said that, I recall someone else asking the exact same question recently and opinions really varied from excellent to dreadful, so it may be that OWL use different printers to produce their decals.  There should be plenty of options out there following the release of the ICM kit, as well as earlier releases for the CA kit. Could be worth asking about the specific Owl decals you are considering buying, same story for Techmod as my experience of these has also varied ( main issue being translucent white on Finnish swastikas).

Thanks Neil. Strangely I'm not after anything to specific, just a 1940 Battle of Britain period airframe with decals that work. What attracts me to Techmod is the extra stencilling, etc that they provide compared to Microscale or Owl. To some extent I think that you get what you pay for and Owl stuff is not expensive whereas if its Microscale branded then its probably old and may not perform because of that, however Microscale may be the best choice compared to Owl despite age? Strangely and accepting the ICM kits availability, Hannants have very little for the 17Z and that surprises me, I would have expected an Xtradecal set but nothing evident.

Thanks Tail-Dragon

Thats what I needed to know! Order placed with Hannants so we'll see what sort of a mess I can make of it! I also ordered an Eduard Zoom interior, even though its for the night fighter version, it seems as near as dammit to the bomber set,

Thanks again

Simon